Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't wildly optimistic (maybe I was?) about the price Tesla's trade-in service would offer me for my old car but even I was surprised at how low it was tbh @ 18% below Webuyanycar's quotation.

I was prepared to get gouged a bit for the convenience, but that's a lot.

Hmm, I kinda expected it to be bad but thought it was worth highlighting to any other prospective buyers - I know they use a third party service but my guess is they are also doing a bit of extra rinsing themselves. When we visited the dealer and I asked their salesman about trading in he said said that their prices should be better than webuyanycar and this kind of set my expectations ........ I think he should amend his patter.

Has anyone got a more positive story to tell about trading in their car?

Pfft

J

·
Banned
4,591 Posts
@Jolltax What car are you trying to sell? In the last 18 months I sold my own car - heavily modified BMW, my wife's old car - Honda Civic, mother-in laws old car - Mini Cooper, all via Auto-trader. The Mini took the longest to sell but in all three case the first viewer bought, and we got much more than what we would have going down the PX route. At about £30 for 6 weeks, 10 minutes taking some photos and writing the ad it's worth a go.

I know I was surprised at how easy it was :).

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
For my 6 year old Jag XJ back in December 2015, Tesla quoted the lowest amount - then came WBAC, but the best offer was from Money4yourmotors which was £3200 more than Tesla offered. The only downside being without a car for 2 weeks till my Tesla turned up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Jolltax, is the wbac quote the on line one or have they inspected your car?, if not you can expect them to reduce their offer by 6 or 7% even if it's close to perfect. But even so, I second the idea of autotrader, I achieved far more than the trade in value for my jaguar, and could have sold it 5 times over in the end. You do have to put up with low ball calls from brokers, but whole thing done and dusted in 10 days including me holding onto car while the funds cleared from a private buyer.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mmmm, good advice all-round, perhaps I need to adjust my expectations.

What car are you trying to sell?
Its an Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 Tdi (2010) with 87k miles - its in average/decent condition, I would say, not immaculate. Tesla's broker system offered me £9500 which seemed on the low side to me but I might be being unrealistic, I would expect that price to be reduced further after an inspection.

ou can expect them to reduce their offer by 6 or 7% even if it's close to perfect.
I was basing it on the online quote but this is a good point, I imagine the Tesla system would do the same also....

But even so, I second the idea of autotrader,
You guys are, of course, right - my last experience of selling a car privately online wasn't a very positive one but I guess this is the route I will have to go down - I just hate the whole experience. At least its not a very 'sporty' car so it won't appeal to 'test-pilots'.

Thanks all!

J

·
Banned
4,591 Posts
Its an Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 Tdi (2010) with 87k miles - its in average/decent condition, I would say, not immaculate. Tesla's broker system offered me £9500 which seemed on the low side to me but I might be being unrealistic, I would expect that price to be reduced further after an inspection.
Looking at Autotrader similar cars traders are advertising for £13-13.5k, so probably sold for £11-12K. Take away the margin for traders, than £9500 isn't that low for a PX value. Stick it up on Autotrader for £11.5K, expect to be knocked down to £11Kish and I cannot see a problem with it been sold.

If WBAC is offering you close to £11K already I would bite their hand off. In all my cases WBAC offered 20% LESS than even the cheapest private sale adverts on Autotrader.

·
Banned
4,591 Posts
You guys are, of course, right - my last experience of selling a car privately online wasn't a very positive one but I guess this is the route I will have to go down - I just hate the whole experience. At least its not a very 'sporty' car so it won't appeal to 'test-pilots'.
Your be amazed how a clearly worded advert can filter out the day dreamers. I fully expected a whole load of time-waster to call about my old BMW, 380Bhp, RWD, Twin-tubro petrol etc. But actually only had 2 calls about the car in 2 weeks, and the first guy that called was the first person to see it in person, he drove 150 miles down on a Sunday evening to come and buy it!!! He was even happy to take the car, transfer the money despite me not having the V-5 because I was still waiting for it to come back from the DLVA with regards to a plate transfer :eek:.

·
Well-Loved Member
985 Posts
@Jolltax Tesla offered me a much better price for my old car than WBAC.
This fits given that WBAC are racketeers for British Car Auctions, in that market values for a used Model S are some way adrift of where Tesla thinks they should be.

The pre-AP cars going nowhere on Auto Trader are £10-15K above CAP, something which makes them hard to balloon on finance and might explain why they're hanging around. There's also the fact several major lenders (e.g. Lloyds) won't finance a Model S at all, and of course even Tesla themselves won't - they'll only offer PCP on ex-demo fleet cars.

All a bit weird frankly. Not sure where it'll end.

·
Registered
985 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Phone call today from Tesla rep in response to my query for trade in value for Ampera against cheap 60X. Couldn't really give estimate at moment as would be another 9 months before likely trade. However he said Autotrader guide price would not be far off and that Tesla just punt the details out to 7 or so dealers and offer their best price.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Phone call today from Tesla rep in response to my query for trade in value for Ampera against cheap 60X. Couldn't really give estimate at moment as would be another 9 months before likely trade. However he said Autotrader guide price would not be far off and that Tesla just punt the details out to 7 or so dealers and offer their best price.
That's more or less what the salesman told me too, just don't bank on their offer being as high as you might expect. The sales people are obviously pushing product and delivering the usual patter.

J

·
Registered
778 Posts
Talking of tesla second hand values - I can't seem to find any for sale for less than about 50k - surely with there being 2 year old cars now that cost low 50s k there should be second hand ones in the -30k range available now?

·
Banned
4,591 Posts
Talking of tesla second hand values - I can't seem to find any for sale for less than about 50k - surely with there being 2 year old cars now that cost low 50s k there should be second hand ones in the -30k range available now?
Prices seem to have 'stuck' at the £50k mark for the last 6 months on both Autotrader and the Tesla CPO cars. It seems like as soon as a car hits £49K they sell. Given a brand new 60S is £53k buying new at the moment makes more sense.

At some point used prices will start to drop again but not right now.

·
Registered
221 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts

That one has been sat there at that price for at least 2 months. I thought it would be reduced if only by dint of the fact it's a month older but no, nothing changes. The next two cheapest have also been around ages.

I know they want to maintain used values but if nobody is prepared to buy it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
4,591 Posts
^^ The CPO used pricing really makes buying new look so much better value. That car is essential bare basic spec with 85kWh battery with 20k on the clock. For £5k more you get a brand new facelifted car with nearly the same day to day range.

It maybe Tesla's strategy to drive new sales, it certainly worked to convince me. From Tesla's point of view, having a few used cars in stock is a cheap way to drive new sales.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts