Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that are interested in the used prices of Teslas, I thought the following might be an interesting insight into the fluctuations of prices over time. The car, a P85D, was first seen by me back in Nov and is now for sale at a higher price than it was back then. and 8k higher than the lowest which was in Feb.

There's a bit of a pattern forming and it will be interesting to see if the March pattern of slowly reducing across the month repeats in April.
upload_2018-4-20_8-57-54.png

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
I wonder what sort of strange algorithm they use for their pricing model?

Presumably there's an input into the model from their new sales side, as a straightforward used car dealer would never let stock sit for six months straight ...

·
Chartered Engineer
1,855 Posts
Hi @Jon G - is this all from the Tesla pre-owned listing or are some of the prices private or non-Tesla? That might explain some of the fluctuation.

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,402 Posts
They have an odd definition of new as well. A 2017 car with 10k on it doesn't strike me as anything other than used.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
All they are doing in the CPO pricing is using it as a cats paw to herd people towards new cars as being much cheaper!

I say this as in terms of real world pricing it truly cannot make any sense otherwise, as who in their right mind would pay £89k for a CPO when £81k will get you a demonstrator 100D.

With £10k down and £1500/m on the 90D alongside £4K down and £800/m for the 100D. The balloon payment would have to be over £57k on the 100 before it would be more expensive than the 90.

·
Registered
13,915 Posts
All they are doing in the CPO pricing is using it as a cats paw to herd people towards new cars as being much cheaper!

I say this as in terms of real world pricing it truly cannot make any sense otherwise, as who in their right mind would pay £89k for a CPO when £81k will get you a demonstrator 100D.

With £10k down and £1500/m on the 90D alongside £4K down and £800/m for the 100D. The balloon payment would have to be over £57k on the 100 before it would be more expensive than the 90.
But then this is the same problem with a year old Renault Zoe.

Used price: £16,000
New price: £12,500

Go figure...

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi @Jon G - is this all from the Tesla pre-owned listing or are some of the prices private or non-Tesla? That might explain some of the fluctuation.
They're all from Teslas listing.

I think the "encouragement to new cars" is a factor, but I've seen it on some of the independent dealers where if a car doesn't sell, stick the price up for a couple of weeks and then have a sale with a couple of grand off or offer a great part ex.

It does look a spookily straight line in March, it then disappeared for a couple of weeks as did all their inventory and now its reappeared.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
@Jon G on your site, what is the difference between facelift2 and facelift3, this latter upgrade has passed me by.. Thanks
Tesla used the marker MI01 to say its a facelift so for a year or so everything worked but they now also have an MI02 and MI03 to show facelift but they also apply these to the MX which has never had a formal facelift. I would just treat it as the higher the number the more recent the car when comparing too. As Tesla run continual improvements its hard to know what they mean by it. Maybe its the DU00 motor but you can see that anyway by clicking on the car for the extra detail

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
@Jon G Very interesting.

Do we know if the car has been kept by Tesla the whole time?

Also are you tracking the mileage of them to go with the prices?

As others have pointed out keeping cars this long does seem at odds with normal dealer practise, where at 90 days they'd be looking to get rid. I guess if they are doubling them as service loaners it's not so bad. (Which mileage tracking would hint at).

What would be fascinating to see is average "lot" time per model. I.e. Do old P cars simply sit around, but 90D's fly off the shelves? That in itself would be a useful tool for people considering buying a new one not using a lease.
(Speaking personally here, had I known in advance the popularity score used I'd have probably opted for an 85 over a 60, even though I didn't need all that battery)

With this car in particular my gut is telling me older P cars are off on their residuals to the high side. Looking at the DVLA stats they spike on launch, presumably as people want the latest and greatest and are prepared to pay, then sales drop off. The regular cars seem far more stable quarter to quarter.

My theory is come used time the "latest and greatest premium" no longer applies nearly to the same extent. So while Tesla are trying to realise a notional 43% residual on the original list price difference, it's probably closer to a 20% premium at 3 years old because it's not really the 0-60 times people are buying. (My view on why they do this rather than let open market forces determine pricing, is keeping up new sales but also avoiding asset write down issues in their books).

·
Registered
972 Posts
I also have a theory that there is a backlog in getting parts from Fremont (I think their focus is elsewhere at the moment :)). Because of this, they probably have more loaners out than ever before. I have had mine for nearly 3 months now. This could also explain why their CPO stock is lower.

I am not complaining, I am a high mileage driver and it will be the miles of my warranty that get exhausted before the time. I have put over 4,000 miles on someone else’s car so far. I do treat it well as someone will be buying it eventually.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The car only disappeared for two periods, the first was for a week, it might have been reserved for sale and the sale didn’t go through or they changed car, and the period when all cars disappeared. I refresh the mileage when I get the price but I’ve not been keeping previous values, I might do that going forward.

If I get chance later, I’ll look at a few others. Tesla aren’t geared to sell used cars, they’re leaking them out to the trade, they’ve got some out as loaners and I think there’s a field near Corby full of them

The P85D loses out to ludicrous cars, so it’s neither one thing (cheapest) or the other (performance).

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
If I get chance later, I’ll look at a few others. Tesla aren’t geared to sell used cars, they’re leaking them out to the trade, they’ve got some out as loaners and I think there’s a field near Corby full of them
Enterprise now own the loaner fleet. I imagine that helped reduce inventory quite a lot!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Enterprise now own the loaner fleet. I imagine that helped reduce inventory quite a lot!
They almost certainly bought new inventory including the demonstrator, pool cars etc as they can claim VAT back etc doing that. The cars that disappeared were genuine used cars of which most won't be VAT qualifying. They're slowlg coming back, two more appeared this morning.

Biffa - yes.a P85DL is a rare car, and even then its quite a long way down on power compared to the later P90DLs, something to do with batteries again. I'd say it was price about right too for what it is, you'd probably get it for 55k and spend a couple of grand on extending the warranty.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Unfortunately 5 seats, which somewhat limited my options when I bought mine, were I looking (seriously) at the moment for an (P)85D that would certainly tick all the boxes.

My oldest is sitting his practical part of his driving test next month, I am hoping that knocks the 7 seat requirements on the head! Fingers crossed, if he does I might have a conversation with them about cost to change up, they could even keep the 21s and swap out for my 19s to sweeten the deal!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Finally....

Telsa seem to be dropping prices gradually for the same model of their site.

This Model S has had the price reduced by £400 or so twice I believe Inventory Search | Tesla

Hopefully they keep dropping the price until the market decides the price is correct

1 - 20 of 75 Posts