Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, just been getting quotes for a wallbox to charge my new M3 when it arrives, and discovered that Tesla's own wall box does not qualify for the EHVS grant. Is there something wrong with it?

What do most people do -- is there another wall box that works better/same with Tesla for example? Or do most people just forego the EHVS grant and pay the total cost themselves.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It needs to be a smart charger to qualify for the grant and the Tesla charger isn't smart. It looks cool but aside from that there is no reason to have one. I have a Zappi which works as well as any other - they all pretty much do the same job to be honest but some are neater than others in terms of how the cable can be stowed away.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,153 Posts
With Tesla, all the smarts are in the car. The "Tesla Wall Connector" is just a "dumb" chargepoint.

·
Registered
262 Posts
If you're getting a 'dumb' charge point, it doesn't cost that much to get an electrician to fit it. I got one fitted, and fully certified, with a ground rod for £250. I supplied it myself. Not sure how much Tesla charge for theirs, but it doesn't do that much that other dumb chargepoints can do (aside from proprietary load sharing with other tesla wall connectors).
If you're wanting a 'smart' charge point that can do things like follow any local solar generation you may have, or follow dynamic tariffs, the Tesla one won't do it. There may be some weird Tesla proprietary voodoo the car can do if it senses it's at home and you've also got a Tesla Powerwall or a Tesla solar system, but that's nothing to do with the wallbox that Tesla can supply.

·
Registered
32 Posts
When I investigated which charger to get for my new M3 there seemed to be very little difference in overall cost. The quotes I received for smart ones with a eligibility for the grant had much higher installation costs although the installation was likely to be the same. I concluded the so called registered installers were loading their charges because there was a grant. I maybe wrong but thats the feeling I got.
In the end I decided to go for the Tesls wall unit on the basis that it has got to be 100% compatible & used a local electrician to install it, all for less than £700, several hundred less than the highest quotation.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Well, just been getting quotes for a wallbox to charge my new M3 when it arrives, and discovered that Tesla's own wall box does not qualify for the EHVS grant. Is there something wrong with it?

What do most people do -- is there another wall box that works better/same with Tesla for example? Or do most people just forego the EHVS grant and pay the total cost themselves.

Thanks for any advice.
Get any Type2 7kW charger that you like the look of.

The Tesla Wall Box requires an earth rod - generally speaking - so also good to avoid that. Get a Zappi or Andersen or EO Mini etc.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Don't forget the Tesla Wall Box has the button on the Type 2 plug that remotely opens the car's charge port (like superchargers); how does convenience rate in your priorities?
Personally I got a Zappi for my previous car and continue to use it with my Model 3, and I bought the Zappi Hub to enable automatic charging during Octopus Agile best priced periods and it works really well.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for the helpful feedback. In some ways I prefer the idea of a dumb charge point that I do not have to link to my internet connection, and the supplier cannot fiddle with it either. It seems the Tesla does not qualify for the grant because it is dumb. Even the Zappi has to have the Zappi Hub purchased with it in order to qualify. Will research the others and check a few prices. Thanks again.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The Zappi installation normally includes a Hub in the price - this gives it the connectivity. As the video says, you might find that the "dumb" Tesla install costs more to give the electrical protection needed. Also note that an earth rod should be tested after installation. Some cases need more than 1 rod to comply. Not everybody is able to have an earth rod installed - for instance we could not because of the proximity of other services.
Good luck.

·
Registered
67 Posts
or you could get a "project ev" charger fitted from £430, smart, pen fault detector and type A RCD built in, no earth rod needed.. (by one of us rip off electricians who are in it for the MASSIVE profits)...

·
Registered
77 Posts
I ended up with a Rolec. I ordered it directly from the Rolec site, it came in very reasonable I got a quote from a couple of local Electricians for a point and a Zappi and they were all comedy quotes, westward of £1500. Rolec are still advertising £445 including OLEC grant, which is more than I had to find, which was about £236. The thing I liked about the Rolec was all the internal guts are off the shelf parts so if there are any issues it isn't going to cost a mint to Maintain it. The Zappi in contrast has a custom board etc

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,907 Posts
you could get a "project ev" charger fitted from £430, smart,
Smart is technically correct but in reality not what people here would hope for. The App is very poor and clunky, and can only cope with off-peak charging for tariffs such as Go. There's no support for Agile and the Solar solutions are all or nothing.
by one of us rip off electricians who are in it for the MASSIVE profits
Sarcasm is probably lost on here. Speaking personally the installation done for me was very poor and there was no attempt at customer service from the installer (not @gary wyatt-williams) . In the end I had to get ProjectEV to rectify the work.

·
Registered
54 Posts
We have a PodPoint (smart) charger which was supplied and fitted (very neatly) for less than £500 all in after the grant. No earth rod required and I just about cope with opening the car charge flap myself.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We have a PodPoint (smart) charger which was supplied and fitted (very neatly) for less than £500 all in after the grant. No earth rod required and I just about cope with opening the car charge flap myself.
We already have a PodPoint which was installed in 2018 for our BMW i3. We are keeping the i3 and will be adding the M3 as a second electric car. With two cars to charge, we would like to have two chargers, one on either side. When I approached PodPoint they did not seem interested to help out. So I looked at the Tesla charge unit instead. That's when I discovered it is not on the approved EHVS list, and wondered why.

Any suggestions on how best to have two charges would be welcome. So far, I have discovered that Tesla have a load balancing feature if you install two of them. But that would mean discarding the PodPoint which still works perfectly well.

Another alternative is to add an entire second circuit from the main board. Which is expensive and would need permission from the electricity supplier, apparently.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
77 Posts
We already have a PodPoint which was installed in 2018 for our BMW i3. We are keeping the i3 and will be adding the M3 as a second electric car. With two cars to charge, we would like to have two chargers, one on either side. When I approached PodPoint they did not seem interested to help out. So I looked at the Tesla charge unit instead. That's when I discovered it is not on the approved EHVS list, and wondered why.

Any suggestions on how best to have two charges would be welcome. So far, I have discovered that Tesla have a load balancing feature if you install two of them. But that would mean discarding the PodPoint which still works perfectly well.

Another alternative is to add an entire second circuit from the main board. Which is expensive and would need permission from the electricity supplier, apparently.

Thoughts?
I think I'd get the two Tesla points if they will load balance and stick the pod point on fleabay, they command a good price might well cover a good chunk of the costs. The other potential issue is how close your house fuse is to the limits and how much capacity is needed having two chargers running at once would cause. Equally the gain might not be worth the pain if you actually find the charge speed for both at the same time is a lot less than charging them one at a time. Be interested to know.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks both. If I understand correctly, load balancing still only draws 7kWH max. As opposed to having two independent chargers installed. We do not use the cars so heavily that each needs to be fully recharged every night, so the balanced version should be sufficient. It's more the convenience of being able to plug the cars in and have the charging happen automatically in due course, without having to drag cables back and forth.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks both. If I understand correctly, load balancing still only draws 7kWH max. As opposed to having two independent chargers installed. We do not use the cars so heavily that each needs to be fully recharged every night, so the balanced version should be sufficient. It's more the convenience of being able to plug the cars in and have the charging happen automatically in due course, without having to drag cables back and forth.
The problem here is not so much charging both cars at 7kW but actually possibly drawing 14kW (64A) from your house mains.
If the house mains only has a 60A incoming fuse from the grid then it'll blow.
If the fuse is more commonly rated at 80A it still might blow if your oven, kettle, shower coincide with car charging.

Hence using a pair of chargers that load-share by design using a common 7kW power feed from the fuse box - if 2 cars try to charge they get 3.5kW each and a big safety margin for other house electrics. If the cars each have a charging timer set, e.g. one charges from 00:30 the other from 02:30 say, you can ensure the first one always gets priority at 7kW and if its charged by 02:30 then the second car gets full charge as well. This might be better than just plugging them in together if both need a healthy charge.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts