Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm taking delivery of my Model 3 probably near the end of November or early December.

I'm deciding which charger to get and I wondered if anyone has anything to say about the Tesla wall charger?

I know it's not OLEV approved etc, which isn't a problem, but I can't seem to find much information or recommendations as to whether I should choose it over something else.

A Tesla sales rep told me you receive software updates sooner but that didn't seem right to me. I could be wrong.

Anyway, any thoughts on performance, reliability, and general features would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
10,040 Posts
The biggest benefit to the Tesla are the aesthetics, button to open charge port and load sharing (if you ever get two). You certainly won't get faster updates!

Downside is cost, especially if you can get grant. I think new ChargedEV Smart+ unit is a good value and generally their service is good - a few exceptions mentioned on here.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, that's really useful and cleared things up!

Haha, I won't name and shame as she was very nice and helpful and as mentioned above I think it was a genuine mix up/confusion.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Haha, I won't name and shame as she was very nice and helpful and as mentioned above I think it was a genuine mix up/confusion.
I’m sure what she meant was that if you have a problem with the unit, you can call roadside and they look at the car. If you have the cable plugged in at the time they can check the comms between the car and charger and see where the problem is.

This worked for me and a new unit was dispatched they next day.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's good to know. I think I am going to go for the Ohme. It's small and I can use an agile/plunge pricing tariff easily in future if I decide to switch. Would like the Tesla one, but money and all that!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts