Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using it on here? Been a fantastic thread on TMC about it, thought I'd see if any of you guys are using it and fancied sharing any dashboards, tips / tricks etc.. tried posting in the Model 3 section, but no takers.

I've managed to bulk import all the working UK Supercharger locations and the Destination chargers, so it knows by location where I've charged when I've used one, very cool :) - I've made guides for all this if helpful to share (also in the sig link).

This is the current custom dashboard I've setup:

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Does this involve giving unrestricted access to your Tesla account in the same way as TeslaFi?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does this involve giving unrestricted access to your Tesla account in the same way as TeslaFi?
You enter your Tesla details on your own hosted environment, so if it’s on a Raspberry Pi, those details will just be contained within your house.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Teslamate (or Tesla logger which is said to have been its kernel and then went different ways) are very different to Teslafi in terms of security.

Unless you host your Docker environment in the cloud, your local details never leave your house except as part of the secure API calls to the Tesla servers which is exactly the same as the Tesla app on your phone.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Anyone using it on here? Been a fantastic thread on TMC about it, thought I'd see if any of you guys are using it and fancied sharing any dashboards, tips / tricks etc.. tried posting in the Model 3 section, but no takers.

Taker here, really struggled initially with it as wanted to set it up on a Synology NAS since it is always on anyway, anyway stuck on an Ubuntu VM to play with and while i have got it operational i.e. I can log in, I have not played with any of the set up yet.

In principle looks very similar in principle to HomeAssistant Home Assistant I had my Tesla set up in there for a while but have left it as is for a while, so thanks for the post, I think. I say, I think, as will likely be whiling away far too much time tinkering with set up now. Although I arleady know there is an issue as I do not have the dashboard tab on the landing page :(.

Update, fixed, hadn't added the Grafana URL into the settings to allow it to find them, now all done and working, just need to be able to drive somewhere now, car has been charged once to 80% over recent months and few local trips, is it sitting outside at 57% with no sign of a return to the office in sight, it may be some time before i get to see any data. May revisit the set up in the NAS as the 6 year will through a tantrum if it messes with his Minecraft server..

Now, I could go for a run in interests of testing out the dashboard :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Taker here, really struggled initially with it as wanted to set it up on a Synology NAS since it is always on anyway, anyway stuck on an Ubuntu VM to play with and while i have got it operational i.e. I can log in, I have not played with any of the set up yet.

In principle looks very similar in principle to HomeAssistant Home Assistant I had my Tesla set up in there for a while but have left it as is for a while, so thanks for the post, I think. I say, I think, as will likely be whiling away far too much time tinkering with set up now. Although I arleady know there is an issue as I do not have the dashboard tab on the landing page :(.

Update, fixed, hadn't added the Grafana URL into the settings to allow it to find them, now all done and working, just need to be able to drive somewhere now, car has been charged once to 80% over recent months and few local trips, is it sitting outside at 57% with no sign of a return to the office in sight, it may be some time before i get to see any data. May revisit the set up in the NAS as the 6 year will through a tantrum if it messes with his Minecraft server..

Now, I could go for a run in interests of testing out the dashboard :)
Glad you’ve got it working @Biffa, there’s a few people on the TeslaMate Users Facebook group we’ve setup who’ve got this running on a NAS without issue.

You can legally drive to go somewhere for exercise / to get fresh air (or for an eye test to a historic landmark) - I had to charge my car when I first installed it, just to get some live data in :)

My work allowed us to book in a 10 minute slot to go collect some IT equipment yesterday, was nice to go and take a drive without feeling guilty about it!

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
All looking quite good, heading off out tomorrow for a bit of a run and actually had to plug the car in to charge so have some data now! My IT needs are better served at home than the office for me, although looks like there may be a return on the horizon for me too.

Don't partake of Facebook any longer, gave up on it after Tesla Owners group put me off it, but to be fair it didn't take much.

So thanks for the post I would not have found it were it not for that, I will get around to popping it on the Synology at some point, but it is running alongside Minecraft quite happily, so it may just stay were it is i.e. one of a number of VMs running on a 20 core server in the garage!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All looking quite good, heading off out tomorrow for a bit of a run and actually had to plug the car in to charge so have some data now! My IT needs are better served at home than the office for me, although looks like there may be a return on the horizon for me too.

Don't partake of Facebook any longer, gave up on it after Tesla Owners group put me off it, but to be fair it didn't take much.

So thanks for the post I would not have found it were it not for that, I will get around to popping it on the Synology at some point, but it is running alongside Minecraft quite happily, so it may just stay were it is i.e. one of a number of VMs running on a 20 core server in the garage!
Quite the setup at home!

If it’s helpful, there’s a guide on my blog site on my signature about how to perform automatic backups of TeslaMate data to Google Drive - other cloud options are available too :)

I was tweaking it yesterday and managed to get a snapshot dash which is a picture of my car with live battery %, state and money saved so far on it.

34D546FD-3EBB-4BEE-A651-89B231E3789F.jpeg

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Will have a look at the bulk import section however with a Model S it may not be quite so useful as I am actually more interested in Chademo than CCS

As for Garage setup, spent about 10 years running an IT function n the UK and across the EU, I keep my hand in for fun rather than work which only occasionally has some relevance, e.g. CRM development and Dashboarding for instance. Picked up an HP ML350P G8 server on ebay on a whim, most because it was mis-described and i recognised what it was from the admittedly rather poor pictures. As a result of that plus a few donations from mates who 10 years later are still in the It department it is current spec'ed with 2xE5-2690v2, 10C/20T each 180GB Ram and 25TB of SAS drives. with this all being a foray into virtualisation with ESXi being the bare metal hypervisor.

Currently it hosts a couple of Minecraft servers for my little one, with a few mods in some of them with it whitelisted for them and friends, even a couple of virtualised Raspberry Pi for playing with home automation, through Hass.io.

The only service it runs which I (or rather my wife has determined) consider essential is Plex, which I have quite a few friends who have been glad of in the lock down :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts