Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Banned
558 Posts
I've modified this message as clearly later events demonstrated that the cars had to cope with snow over the mountains of Arizona! I will watch the trial with renewed interest.

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
Brian….
Why does it have to be a challenge?
The whole point with the Tesla is it is a car that you can use as a car and not have to worry.
The majority of the population do not want to worry about range, do not want to have to plan a journey with a plan B/C just incase a charger is down.
Your posts all over this forum would indecate that you wish to speak for or on behalf of the EV community but it seams to me that you want us to use our cars as an expencive toy/experiment rather than a form of transport.
As a community we should be encoraging Tesla with all of their PR stunts as they are normalising EV transport. I know they are expensive but just remember most of the safety features etc on modern cars were first launched on cars like the S class Merc.
I will not own a pure EV untill the day I can afford one with at least a 200 mile range. My wife regularly drives 150-200 miles for work and I am not prepared to take the risk of her being stranded.
There is a place for all type/price of cars, don't knock the expencive end as eventually their tech will end up as the normal features on the cars the rest of us can afford.

·
Banned
558 Posts
Your posts all over this forum would indecate that you wish to speak for or on behalf of the EV community but it seams to me that you want us to use our cars as an expencive toy/experiment rather than a form of transport.
No, I'm not seeking to speak on behalf of the EV Community. I just see the short-range BEV as being the underdog - and that it (and its infrastructure) have been denigrated quite often on this forum. At one time we had more chat about what these cars could do - against the odds! Now the balance has swung more towards the glorious Tesla? Which we all admire, but few will buy.
I think supporting the underdog is worthwhile and I look forward to reading more about those who can do more with less! As for the idea that Tesla--capability ending up as 'normal' - well (IMO) that is a fallacy. The car industry are keeping the BEV range low quite deliberately, so as not to threaten their established ICE business (IMO)?
The BEV revolution (IMO) is a myth - production is low, supply is low, prices will remain premium prices. Reaching a 'tipping point' will be very difficult while the car industry is back-peddling. As for an affordable Tesla - well when it comes it will be affordable only relative to other Teslas. No business is altruistic - the mid-range Tesla will be prices to align with its competition. That is how business works! So expect the mid-range Tesla to be around £35K!

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
America is a vast place, for me its quite an accomplishment, its not just about the trip its about the rapid deployment of the supercharger network, what Tesla have achieved with the car, the supercharging network, the stores and the service centres in the time they have done it is quite astonishing and puts the established manufacturers to shame apart from Nissan maybe, this trip is a celebration of all that coming together.

Its also a PR exercise to! no doubt about that and I don’t see that its any more about bragging rights than David and Roberts trip was last week, The Model S whilst an expensive car it is none the less pretty much what most people ask for when you tell them how much range your Nissan leaf has, oh if it would do 300 miles then maybe, ill wait till then!

Sure the price needs to come down but for those who can afford it? Why not? Would much prefer someone with lots of cash to line the stable roofs of their stately home with solar panels buy and charge their Model S with it and not use the V8 Jag or Landrover, this trip is a super way of getting the attention of people like that.

A really good TV advert helps too but Tesla as of yet have not needed or have decided not to do one.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
image.jpg

Cross Country Rally - Day One:

At 5.30am on Thursday, January 30, an email came in from JB Straubel, co-founder and chief technical officer of Tesla Motors.

"It looks like the send off was exciting," he wrote. "Go go go!"

Five and a half hours earlier, hundreds of electric vehicle enthusiasts had gathered at the Tesla design studio in Hawthorne, CA, to send off a Tesla team in two Model S sedans attempting to set a GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS achievement for least non-drive time for an electric vehicle traveling across the United States. The plan: drive all the way to New York City in about three days, stopping only to charge at Superchargers, and for as little time as possible. And, of course, don't pay a cent for gas.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/cross-country-rally-day-one

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...the glorious Tesla? Which we all admire, but few will buy.
Tesla have sold more than 25,000 Model S cars in 18 months. Given Nissan only managed 100,000 Leafs in 3 years I don't think you can claim that only a few will buy Tesla.

Please use the ignore feature and stop reading the Tesla posts... you clearly have a problem with wealthy people buying EVs.

·
Banned
558 Posts
Please use the ignore feature and stop reading the Tesla posts... you clearly have a problem with wealthy people buying EVs.
Now that is just silly. You can denigrate short range BEVs and slag off CHAdeMO, but you want me to ignore Tesla!
I am getting the impression that you and your company have an interest in promoting Tesla - at the expense of other brands? Time will tell!

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Now that is just silly. You can denigrate short range BEVs and slag off CHAdeMO, but you want me to ignore Tesla!
I only 'denigrate' short range BEVs when EV people promote them for long range trips. I actively promote short range BEVs when they are good match for a potential customers use as a car.

The EU have clearly stated that CCS is the European 'rapid' charging standard and they will reinforce that in the clean fuels directive. You can hang onto your beliefs about CHAdeMO but I'm afraid the German auto manufacturers wield more power in the EU.

This is the Tesla section of the SpeakEV forum... please feel free to discuss Tesla related things here... this thread is about Tesla's attempt to drive across America in an electric car and set a Guinness World Record.

·
Banned
558 Posts
extreme weather for the Tesla team... deep snow during the night in Colorado :eek:
I'll certainly give them 1/10 for the Arizona Leg! Did you notice the last phone make it look like the Tesla has twin-exhausts!

·
Registered
167 Posts
It seems to me that Brian Orr is too ready to criticise any concept that differs from his own thoughts and preferences. Manufacturers, including Mitsubishi and Tesla are in the business of making profits for their shareholders. They offer a product and advertise it in the way they see fit and the customer base decides if they wish to purchase or not. As regards Tesla, many people like their concept and some are prepared to pay the asking price. The price excludes many, like myself, in the same way as the price of a motor car in the early 1900’s excluded most people. I say good luck to the pioneers, I hope they are successful. Eventually their technology and concepts will be developed and adopted by others to the benefit of the less affluent. Anything that is done to advertise and increase awareness of electric vehicles can only benefit electric vehicle uptake as a whole.
Of course existing vehicle manufacturers are going to be slow to change. They have their existing investments to protect and are not going to throw it away overnight, it needs the Tesla's, and others hopefully, to push them. Their main driving force so far has been the US fuel economy and emission standards that are mandated for manufactured vehicle fleet averages. Hopefully customer perception of electric vehicles is influencing their thinking.

·
Banned
558 Posts
Of course its always good to have multiple points of view!
All my posts are done in good humour and often tongue-in-cheek! I'm always keen to see the well argued counter argument - that what makes these web-site interesting to participate in!
If we all stick to subject matter debate - then all end up with a better understanding!
I'm in the dock for knocking Tesla; however, I have always described it as the 'upper benchmark'!
Interaction in these websites is like a good game of tennis - better played hard with lots of spin and slice! Who cares about the final score!

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
Brian

There is a reason that the motor industry make 80 mile the range of an EV, the average car travels 10000 miles a year, even at 50 weeks of the year that's 200 mile's a week, 5 days usage is 40 miles a day. Why would any manufacturer produce a small car with a large range, it would not sell compaired with the cheaper competition.
The small EV's on the market now are fantastic for what they are designed for but still can at a push to travel longer distances.
We need to stop promoting short range EV's for long distance travel, yes highlight that they are capable of it but only if you want to except their shortcomings. Promote them for what they are good at, no one can then argue that they aren't better than an ICE car.
Tesla produce the only car which can compete with an ICE car on a nearly level playing field, they don't need knocking by people like us, we have Clarkson and the Daily Mail for that.

·
Banned
558 Posts
Andy,
What sort of EV do you have?
I am on record as suggesting that the sweetspot for short range EVs is about 150 Miles. In my view any range of that order can be undertaken with minimal risk. I may be interested in those who take the long-range challenge - there are rewards - but risks. However, in no way am I not suggesting it to others.
My article in Autocar Magazine (this week) makes a candid account of visiting the Highlands of Scotland. It tells the truth about the infrastructure; however, the article does also highlight that "Electric cars let you discover good old-fashioned motoring" - which can also be true?
We regularly do EV on trips of over 100 miles and use our economies to pay for hotels and/or good meals. I've also written about trips to the Pas-de-Calais and Brittany. Not long range jaunts - unambitious low risk and super cheap touring on free charging!
Finally I am not a critic of Tesla the car or the company - they are rightly the 'upper benchmark'! However, I suggest to you that the majority of participant of this website are either owners of short range EV, or candidate for purchase of a short-range EV. This is a forum where Tesla can have respect - but not the hard sell. And most certainly not to have hard sell and denigration of short range EV (and their infrastructure) in the same message!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts