Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Hardly lashing out by saying his conversations with Gates were underwhelming.

He does have a point though. Why buy one of the most ineffecient and underwhelming range EVs there is and then complain about EV range?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Maybe it’s Apple Music and Zune!

Reactions: cah197

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
I think that Bill Gates was talking about EVs in general, and praising Tesla for leading the charge towards change, but also pointing out that range is still an issue for many. Even some of the Tesla M3 owners on here seem to have those concerns too.

I guess the subtlety was lost on Mr Musk...

I still don’t understand why so many Tesla owners seem so defensive when people criticise Tesla or even aggressive when they don’t choose Tesla. What gives?

Maybe with Musk being the Tesla lightning rod, that explains it? Behaviour breeds behaviour and all that...

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would make the same choice if I had his money. Porsche interior materials and build quality is miles ahead of Tesla's. The Model S I drove felt cheap for a premium car, and the ergonmics weren't great. Tesla will no doubt catch up, but Porsche have this nailed. I guess fart mode wasn't high up on Bills requirements.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I would make the same choice if I had his money. Porsche interior materials and build quality is miles ahead of Tesla's. The Model S I drove felt cheap for a premium car, and the ergonmics weren't great. Tesla will no doubt catch up, but Porsche have this nailed. I guess fart mode wasn't high up on Bills requirements.
But range is, which evidently his Porche doesn't provide. But they may catch with Tesla's current range in 5+ years time I suppose.

·
Registered
16,766 Posts
With the money you save buying a Tesla, you can get the interior re-upholstered in mink and baby seal skin.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
But range is, which evidently his Porche doesn't provide. But they may catch with Tesla's current range in 5+ years time I suppose.
With respect, Gates wasn’t complaining about the range of his Taycan, he was making the point that people need to get over the whole range anxiety thing.

Perhaps like Tesla fanboys need to get over the fact that there are other desirable electric cars available.. ;)

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Perhaps like Tesla fanboys need to get over the fact that there are other desirable electric cars available.. ;)
I fully agree that the Zoe is quite a desirable EV ;)

Reactions: Tooks

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
With the money you save buying a Tesla, you can get the interior re-upholstered in mink and baby seal skin.
What happens if you're not into dead animal skins? Tough decision!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Something many should know is that Gates owned three Porsche before (911, 959 and 930). Now Gates is being a but more conscious so he goes for something more stylish, but from a brand that he knows, likes and has probably treated him right in the past. Actually I like the shape of the Panamera and the Taycan; they look rather sleek.

Additionally, I cannot imagine Gates charging at a Supercharger, where all boys would ask him questions; Gates is a nerd, but not the kind of nerd that checks every 3 minutes what's the rate of charge and why isn't the battery pre-warmed already. Furthermore, I doubt Gates will ever use camper mode, or will watch Netflix while charging... Those are cool features to show off with, but I guess Gates isn't at that point in life. So Tesla has some features that are desirable for some people, but not for others and some people just like underwhelming things. Hence I chose a Zoe lol

·
Registered
16,766 Posts
Additionally, I cannot imagine Gates charging at a Supercharger,
Apparently he’s the sort of guy who’ll queue for his own burger.

When he goes out for lunch with Warren Buffet they’ll go to McDonalds or somewhere similar and Warren will break out his coupons.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts