Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Had a test drive of an ZS EV and an Ioniq back-to-back last Saturday. Both dealers were friendly, quick photocopy of my driving license and I was on my way.
Both asked me to keep the test drive to 20-30 mins and both were unaccompanied (due to COVID, I suspect), so that was nice.
I choose a route that was about 12 miles and included 70-mph dual carriageway, 30-zone town driving and a 50mph single carriageway.

MG first impressions - nice, bright, airy, high driving position. I adjusted the seat and steering wheel and got comfy easily. Really nice to drive. Smooth & quiet - some wind noise and tyre noise on the dual carriageway but wasn't too bad. Quite nippy when you put your foot down. Had a little play(!) and then spent most of the time in Eco mode. Found that still had enough 'go' for normal driving. The car was showing 3.2miles/kWh when I took it back with a smile on my face. :)

Ioniq first impressions - Lower, longer, and definitely seemed "darker" inside, maybe even felt smaller. Struggled to get comfy straight away. Had to stop a bit further down the road to adjust things again. Drove the same route. It definitely didn't feel as nippy as the MG, even in Sport mode. The tech seemed better than the MG for some reason - can't quite put my finger on why specifically. Seemed like a very capable car. But for whatever reason, it just didn't "click" with me in the same way that the MG did.

So, now mulling over Autotrader, PCP prices and leasing prices for the MG. If anyone knows someone who can do me a good deal, let me know :)

I'm also considering a test drive in a 64kWh Kona. The longer range is very tempting. I do 70 miles a day commuting (but do have access to charger at work), and I do 140 mile each way trips to the in-laws. Not having to think about charging so much seems like a good thing. Leasing price is on the Kona is about £40 a month extra.

Some MG questions for owners out there:

1. I assume that you can play music over Bluetooth in the normal way, and only have to plug the USB cable in if you want to use Apple CarPlay?
(my wife's Fiat 500 has bluetooth phone but not audio streaming)

2. Can you connect more than one phone at a time via bluetooth?
(In my VW Polo you can have two phones connected at the same time to receive calls, and one is the master for dialling out or sending texts)

3. Would I make my 140 mile trip to the in-laws without charging?
(Surrey to Staffordshire - mostly motorway)

4. On cold frosty mornings, can I run out to the car, start the heaters, then lock the car leaving the heaters running, and go back inside the house?

Thanks,

Pete.

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
145 Posts
Have a look on this forum, they do a podcast every Monday at 7:30pm which are quite interesting (missed Bank Hol) seem a friendly bunch. Have you considered the MG5 that has more range. The MG5 was one that I was considering before getting my S/Hand E-Niro

·
Zoe Devotee
8,983 Posts
I'm going to presume you did indeed check out the 5, seeing as you test drove a ZS EV (from an MG dealers). As you've highlighted your typical long trip is 140miles, I'd say one way you'll do it fine, especially if you keep the speed down to 65mph. Then charge up at your destination if you can. Winter will be cutting it a bit fine. The Kona is more of a CUV than an SUV shape, so looks chunky and tall from outside, but is actually low like a hatchback when your inside (not great room in the back) but if its 2 of you it will be fine. £40 a month extra seems pretty decent, especially as you'll likely be able to do the return journey with zero top up. (y)

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
MG eZS owner answering questions:
* you can pair multiple bluetooth phones for streaming audio or phone calls. my son, Apple owner, goes into the menu on the head unit and disconnects my phone so he can play at DJ.

* with a very light foot in ok-ish weather (12C or more, and not raining hard) you should do 140miles on a full charge. that means sticking below 65mph on motorways.

* you can turn the car on to defrost, wind the window down, get out, lock it using the lock button on the door, wind the window up. but you will need the physical key to unlock it.
however, the car heats up so quickly the time saved is probably not worth the effort.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Agree with @Paul M it is possible to achieve 140 miles in all but the worst conditions in the MG if you are prepared to modify how you drive it. Driving at 70 with heating on full blast on a cold wet winter day might see range drop as low as 100 miles.

Car heats up quickly. Even on a very cold frosty day you stick heating on, run around the outside with a scraper and inside 2 mins you are good to go. WIthout scaping it might take a couple of minutes longer for car to clear, but I've never bothered locking and going back inside.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Back in Winter, I had to make a delivery once to Norfolk, and it was almost entirely on the flat from west of cambridge to get there. I was a little late in setting off, it was a very cold day, I drove there at an indicated 75mpg, and my range was probably 110 miles! I ended up topping up near Thetford to make the return journey which was a much more leisurely pace. the outward journey would have averaged 2.9mi/kWh had it not been for about 10 miles of roadworks, the return was over 3.6!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies folks.
Test drove the MG again today, and also had a drive in a 64kWh Kona - both very nice to drive, good tech..etc.
Space in the Kona definitely smaller than the MG, particularly in the back seats - when I jumped in the back my knees seemed very close to the back of the driver's seat (I'm about 5'11).
Not keen on the 'estate car' styling of the 5 - much prefer the SUV style of the ZS.

So, ZS It is. Time to start crunching the numbers!!

·
Registered
774 Posts
If you are considering Kona, why not Niro? Larger (more like ZS) - much higher tech and will do the in laws AND BACK (mid summer if you are gentle) without charging..... and this is something to consider - the ZS might make the in-laws on a charge but will it be chargeable when you get there? If they have a charger - fine, but if they don’t, and you use 3 pin, the car will only add about 9 miles for each hour it’s on charge........ so if it’s 140m you will need about 15hrs charging to make the return trip, whereas in the Niro it’s more like an hour or two as it will already be around 50%.

Niro 2 64KWh still gets the grant and is similar prices to the Kona (bit more than the MG) but better built, and far more in demand on used market (some well priced used ones out there too).

Also none of this “unlock it turn on the heating go back indoors nonsense” just program the climate for your departure time, then when you leave the house already snug and warm! If you get a 4+ (or I think a 3) you can also pre-heat / pre-cool from your phone whilst eating your tea or brekkie whether the car is plugged in or not!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I strongly considered ordering the kona the morning that Hyundai opened the web site, but I decided against it because it was too small.
I nearly bought the eNiro first edition but didn't like the choice of colours, and the spec wasn't as expected.
The MG eZS had the space, the spec, the choice of colour, and the price was great.

·
Registered
774 Posts
For the price, the range is ok too. But I would want a lot more range than the ZS can give, hence buying the Soul. Now used First edition Niro’s are £28k or so and a new ZS about £23k the used Niro seems a much better buy.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
A one year old eZS is about 18, so the gap is still huge against a one year old eNiro.
The latter is a better car but not 50% better!
The win of course is the range, but with rapid chargers springing up like weeds, that matters less and less.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
For the price, the range is ok too. But I would want a lot more range than the ZS can give, hence buying the Soul. Now used First edition Niro’s are £28k or so and a new ZS about £23k the used Niro seems a much better buy.
Horses for courses. IMHO the Niro is the more complete and better car but it is significantly more expensive. A new Niro with decent spec is circa £36k compared to a new ZS Exclusive for around £23k. A used Niro might be around £28k but then a year old ZS Exclusive can be had for £18k.

If you were regularly driving more than 150 miles in a day you can make the case for the longer range EV, but if like I you only do longer journeys a dozen or so times a year then the ZS is absolutely fine.

I have run reasonably expensive cars in the past and could afford a Niro or Tesla if I wanted, but for my driving pattern (and the OPs may be different) the ZS meets my requirements most of the time. The next generation EVs that will be released in the next 12 months on a platform designed specifically for EVs (without compromises necessary to work with internal combustion engines too), with improved performance, range, charging speeds and style look like a significant leap forward and I'm likely to get one of those even though they will likely cost circa £50k.

Edit - I see Paul M has made similar points.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
If I was starting now, then I would probably consider a year old eNiro instead of a brand new eZS because the extra cost would probably be worth it, and since I'd intend to keep the car for 6+ years the loss of the first year's life wouldn't matter too much. I'd expect the Niro prices to soften just slightly, because more will come onto the market, they didn't sell all that many of them - according to howmanyleft there were not quite 1200 by the end Q3 2020, so there's probably over twice as many eZS's on the road already!

But as for a new eNiro, you can now buy a 2 year old Tesla 3 for about £35k, so I would probably go for the Tesla if that was my budget.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Returning to the OP's question about a 140 mile journey to the in-laws, I agree with the earlier posters that in anything but extremely poor weather or extremely inefficient driving, there should be no problem making the journey. Over the last 250 miles, the bulk of which was a 189 mile trip down the Fosse Way and then the M5.M4, I have achieved 4.0 miles per kWh. Temperature rarely over 10C. That equates to a full-empty range of 170 miles if I've done my sums correctly.

A more pertinent question though is whether it is sensible. I'm not sure whether the OP is an existing EV driver. \If not there are a couple of things worth bearing in mind:
  • what's the charging situation when you arrive at the in-laws?. The car is likely to be virtually empty. Do they have charging facilities, or will have to travel elsewhere to a charge point? How far will that be? If you are going to granny charge at the in-laws, is the car being on charge for 20 -plus hours to return it to full acceptable?
  • how will you cope if you are diverted? Not so long ago, we aimed for a charging point,. but a few miles short we discovered that there were HS2 roadworks blocking our path. It was a 15 mile diversion to go round them, and reach the charge point with no obviously better option. We were Ok but if we'd been running things tight, we could have been severely embarrassed.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,983 Posts
Got my worst range in the ZS EV this weekend. 50mile drive to Safari park, weather pretty bad on way there, cold and raining, but drove at speed because I knew I had more than enough range for return, and there is a charger on site. Didn't get a charge on site, weather turned a good deal worse on return journey. Roads were swimming in places, generally speeds reduced to 65mph, although when closer to home the roads were not so soaked so 70mph (+) again. Arrived home after 104miles with 18miles remaining. So 120miles in what was basically winter conditions. Heater was never off on whole trip (in fact we sat in car before trip home with heater blasting for 20mins just to thaw us all out).

140miles in really bad winter conditions? Yeah it would be fine if you kept to 60-65mph max.

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the replies folks. I’ve checked out the in-law’s location, and there’s an Instavolt rapid in their town which I would use to “fill up”.

Plus, I suspect we would stop en route for a break anyway, so another opportunity to top up the electrons. Although from reading this forum, motorway service chargers aren’t always reliable!

·
Zoe Devotee
8,983 Posts
Thanks for all the replies folks. I’ve checked out the in-law’s location, and there’s an Instavolt rapid in their town which I would use to “fill up”.

Plus, I suspect we would stop en route for a break anyway, so another opportunity to top up the electrons. Although from reading this forum, motorway service chargers aren’t always reliable!
Drive up, drop wife off, go for a charge while battery still warm. Get it up to 80ish %. New BMS seems to hold on to high charging speed until about 85%. Then granny charge at inlaws if possible, or stop for 10-15miles on way home if you need to.

Reactions: ev_pete

·
Registered
774 Posts
Drive up, drop wife off, go for a charge while battery still warm. Get it up to 80ish %. New BMS seems to hold on to high charging speed until about 85%. Then granny charge at inlaws if possible, or stop for 10-15miles on way home if you need to.
Exactly that, perfect solution

1 - 18 of 18 Posts