Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been following this thread for a long time.

At the moment, I drive a Kona 64 but very rarely use more than 50% of the battery so am thinking about selling and buying an MG instead (it’s also bigger inside compared to the Kona). I had a test drive yesterday with a demonstrator that hadn’t received the recent software update.

I was really impressed with the car.

Just wondering, though, whether anyone who bought their MG early on has seen any rust at all. I remember there were some rumours/scare stories about rust coming through.

Any other thoughts on owning your MG for a while would be very welcome.

Any advice would be gratefully received. Many thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I’ve had mine 6 weeks, so no long term view. From the accumulation in the motor bay (I asked for it not to be washed) it had sat around somewhere for some time. No signs of corrosion and I have had a good look round.

I’m really enjoying it. With all updates done it’s great. Perhaps missing a few toys that the Kona gets like climate control, but the AC works well as a manual system.

·
Registered
63 Posts
To date rust on the MG ZS or MG ZS EV seems to be a myth or scaremongering. I have yet to see any photos by anyone showing rust. Even my old Morris Marina which was over 10 years old had little rust. Rust, unless caused by damaged paint is very rare on new
modern vehicles.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,120 Posts
Had my MG since March, no sign of the infamous rust.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,120 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I think there were some very early ones, white only, which had some areas where the anti corrosion wasn't so good and the garages sorted it out.

Most cars haven't been through a British winter yet so it's impossible to be sure about the situation.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I think you will find very many MG ZS vehicles have been through a British winter.
:p really?

but not the relatively new model, the eZS, which has the underfloor battery and very different electricals compared to the fossil version.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,120 Posts
Had my MG since March, no sign of the infamous rust.
I think there were some very early ones, white only, which had some areas where the anti corrosion wasn't so good and the garages sorted it out.

Most cars haven't been through a British winter yet so it's impossible to be sure about the situation.

The white one in question was an ICE. Also wasn't it the case that early ZS sold in UK were made in Thailand? Whereas ever ZS EV comes from China.

·
Registered
63 Posts
:p really?

but not the relatively new model, the eZS, which has the underfloor battery and very different electricals compared to the fossil version.
How does an under floor battery and different wiring alter rusting (please explain). The cars bodies are the same. I have the MG EV and my wife has the MG ZS ice version. My Son has the ice version and my Daughter also has the ice version. None of the 4 cars have any signs of rust anywhere. Just people talking nonsense, no photos to show rust that I have seen. Perhaps you have some photos you can share.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
We had taken delivery of our ZS EV on the 6th January 2020 and has therefore seen a short winter period.
The only rust I have seen on my car, was the OEM factory supplied mud flap securing screws.
They where installed by the main dealer prior to delivery and they started to rust within a short time.
ALL of these screws ( which I believe are plain mild steel ) have been replaced by quality black finish stainless steel screws.
The retaining screws are subject to huge amounts of surface water and road salt applied to the road in the winter months.
After replacing the fixings, there has been no further evidence of rust appearing.
Other members who have had the optional mud flaps installed, have reported the same issue of these original fittings developing rust.
I strongly recommend that anybody who has the mud flaps installed, replace these poor quality screws before they become too corroded and makes replacement very difficult.
This is the only evidence of rust I have witnessed.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I’ve been following this thread for a long time.

At the moment, I drive a Kona 64 but very rarely use more than 50% of the battery so am thinking about selling and buying an MG instead (it’s also bigger inside compared to the Kona). I had a test drive yesterday with a demonstrator that hadn’t received the recent software update.

I was really impressed with the car.

Just wondering, though, whether anyone who bought their MG early on has seen any rust at all. I remember there were some rumours/scare stories about rust coming through.

Any other thoughts on owning your MG for a while would be very welcome.

Any advice would be gratefully received. Many thanks.
I’ve only had mine since November 19.

I have produced several videos about the MG, which can be found on my YouTube channel.

Mike Procter

edit: not aware of any rust on my Arctic White Exclusive.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’ve only had mine since November 19.

I have produced several videos about the MG, which can be found on my YouTube channel.

Mike Procter

edit: not aware of any rust on my Arctic White Exclusive.
Thanks Mike.... and all the other replies. I’ll take a look through your YouTube channel.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just people talking nonsense

Hi Dave! :)

Will freely admit I've been sitting on this for a month or so as it's minor (bonnet catch), probably just my ZS, & I didn't want to alarm anyone. But it is still rust.
However now we're getting to the point where we're (at best) dismissive when anyone dares ask a valid question with a potentially negative outlook on our precious EVs.

Let's leave that to the Tesla fanclub. (Just kidding Teslarati/Elon, your paint is marvellous & those panel gaps are perfectly aligned. ;) )

I get we're all proud of the new motors, but let's not kid ourselves they're perfect. Or at least, mine isn't. :rolleyes:

Oh might wanna check yours too Sandy, as I believe you may have picked up from Frasers around the same time as me.

I picked up 17th March & have driven around 2100miles so far.

·
Registered
55 Posts
To add to Cartys good point about replacing the mudguard screws, looks like I'll be replacing some more... and no I don't park in a harbour or on a beach, maybe it got dunked coming off the ship! :)

Front wheel well trim screws, only 1 either side though:

·
Registered
282 Posts
I think I have posted elsewhere. I have found these screws pictured below and washers to be ideal to replace rusting OEM mudguard screws, and would be perfect to replace the rusting wheel trim well screws above.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think I have posted elsewhere. I have found these screws pictured below and washers to be ideal to replace rusting OEM mudguard screws, and would be perfect to replace the rusting wheel trim well screws above.
You did indeed, and I thank you as I have already replaced those on your recommendation & have the old ones to drop off at Frasers!

I'm too scared to do the new ones as A I don't know the length required & B they look like they may screw through to a clip/mount behind the visible wheel trim, which could potentially disappear if I unscrew them!

·
Zoe Devotee
9,120 Posts
Oh might wanna check yours too Sandy, as I believe you may have picked up from Frasers around the same time as me.
Yes that appears to be fairly standard (the only bit of odd paint finish I could find, I guess if painted in body colour would be nicer until you scratch paint opening and shutting bonnet). Mine doesn't have the rust yours does, but I did give exposed bits like that a skoosh with rust proofing wax.

I just checked my car, chassis rails as that's what the white one was going on about. Orange rusty water stains. I skooshed my chassis rails on day one with clear wax.

Reactions: northernlights

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just checked my car, chassis rails as that's what the white one was going on about. Orange rusty water stains. I skooshed my chassis rails on day one with clear wax.
Obviously given my experience I'd be keen to give them a going over pre-winter, but so many questions as I'm not familiar with most things under there, including chassis rails, or waxing.
Any chance of a link to that post or further explanation so I can figure what all I'll be spraying?
Also, was it the same wax used on all areas? I'm assuming something like this: Hammerite HAM6710013 400ml Waxoyl Clear Aerosol: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike
Which other areas did you think would benefit?
Finally, did you need ramps?
Sorry for all the questions!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts