Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tesla Cambridge were only offering a 15 minute test drive on an M3 so a mate of mine offered his car. Went to Admiral to see if I could get insurance for his car and was quoted a reasonable £32 per day, only to shocked that the excess would have to be nearly £1500. Not sure I want to take a risk.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Tesla Cambridge were only offering a 15 minute test drive on an M3 so a mate of mine offered his car. Went to Admiral to see if I could get insurance for his car and was quoted a reasonable £32 per day, only to shocked that the excess would have to be nearly £1500. Not sure I want to take a risk.
Tesla have a 7 day return policy (or at least they did have, worth checking) a 15 min test drive and 7 days could be enough

·
Registered
162 Posts
I don't think that 15 minute is a strict deadline. We test drove the M3 (Westfields branch) and they said we had to be back within 30 minutes. We went well over the 30 minute mark and they didn't care, in fact they didn't mention anything about it at all. After the test drive, we sat down with the sales rep, had a pleasant 30 minute chat about the car and that was the end of it.

So I say do the 15 minute test drive. If you happen to 'accidentally' extend it by 10 minutes I seriously doubt they will complain. They don't come with you on the test drive so it's not like they're sitting in the passenger seat next to you with a stop watch.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You’re not sure if you can drive a Tesla without crashing it?
I'm sure I'm safe in a Tesla. However, five tears ago, when a lorry reversed into my stationary SAAB, with local CCTV coverage showing the event, it took over 2 years to complete the claim withe the driver claiming it wasn't his fault, and prevented me from changing insurer for the period.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think that 15 minute is a strict deadline. We test drove the M3 (Westfields branch) and they said we had to be back within 30 minutes. We went well over the 30 minute mark and they didn't care, in fact they didn't mention anything about it at all. After the test drive, we sat down with the sales rep, had a pleasant 30 minute chat about the car and that was the end of it.

So I say do the 15 minute test drive. If you happen to 'accidentally' extend it by 10 minutes I seriously doubt they will complain. They don't come with you on the test drive so it's not like they're sitting in the passenger seat next to you with a stop watch.
They even said there was a route they would prefer me to take.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,729 Posts
But you didn't ask Tesla about the excess on using their demonstrator?

You can get it covered however for very little.

·
Registered
162 Posts
They even said there was a route they would prefer me to take.
Yeah same with us when we test drove it. We stuck to the route most of the time but took a slight detour just to test the car out properly. But honestly, the time frame is more of a guide than anything else. So long as you don't take the p*ss by taking it out for a 3 hour drive then you should be fine lol.

·
Registered
24 kWh Nissan Leaf
111 Posts
May not apply to you, but worth asking for a his-and-hers back to back test drive (you'll need both driving licenses of course) - good to see the car as a passenger too assuming you'll be sharing the driving, and you can listen to road noise and watch the display etc more freely.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tesla have a 7 day return policy (or at least they did have, worth checking) a 15 min test drive and 7 days could be enough
Not sure if 7 day return still exists. No longer in the US.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Pure speculation. It was omitted from the website for about a day. It still applies.

View attachment 136297

Actually in the UK you get 14 days after delivery to change your mind and return it! I don't see the reference to 7 days on their website anymore.

"If you are a consumer and this Agreement was entered into by only using means of distance communication (such as online or over the phone), you may cancel your order up to 14 days after delivery of the Vehicle or after it is made available for you to collect. To cancel, you must clearly inform us of your decision to cancel this Agreement within this 14-day period (e.g. letter sent by post) by contacting us at the address indicated in the footer of this Agreement. You may also do so by completing and submitting our cancellation form herein. If you exercise this right to cancel, we will reimburse all payments received from you by using the same means of payment used when you made the payment. You are liable for, and therefore we may deduct from the amount of refund, an amount reflecting diminished value of the Vehicle resulting from unnecessary handling by you in accordance with applicable law if you have used the Vehicle beyond what is necessary to check the nature, characteristics and functioning of the Vehicle. You must return the Vehicle to a Tesla Service Center without undue delay and in any event not later than 14 days from the day on which you communicate to us your decision to cancel this Agreement. The deadline is met if you return the Vehicle before the expiry of this 14-day period. You will have to bear the direct cost of returning the Vehicle. We will give you a refund (after making a deduction where applicable) after the Vehicle is returned to us."

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,729 Posts
Actually in the UK you get 14 days after delivery to change your mind and return it! I don't see the reference to 7 days on their website anymore.
I posted the screen shot - it’s at the bottom of the order page.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I posted the screen shot - it’s at the bottom of the order page.
Yes - it was there yesterday but I can't see it today. Do you have a link? In any case, the 14 day return is there anyway

·
Registered
287 Posts

It does in the UK if it's a personal purchase. This is a matter of UK law - and Tesla does acknowledge it in their paperwork.

Good point about excess in demonstrators and courtesy cars - people have been caught out on the latter before.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts