Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Id like my next car to be an i3 based on all i have read and watched, and the other week i finally took a 4 yr old one for a test drive just to see if what I'd learnt to date married up with the actual experience.
It was just a short drive but indeed enough to confirm what most others have said. I'm not about to buy one, but it remains top of the list for a year or two's time when i come to change the diesel ICE. My thoughts very much in summary

DISLIKES firm uncomfortable seats, twitchy steering, limited headroom rear, limited rear visibility, rear door faff
LIKES instant acceleration, regen breaking, spacious airy interior, quietness, turning circle

Of the negatives i was surprised about the rear view, i expected it for some reason to be quite unhindered due to large glass area and the upright shape. Not a deal breaker anyway.
Of greater surprise was the uncomfortable seats, front and rear. I am 6'3'' and the seat squabs are not very long so not very supportive, worse in the rear but i wont spend any time there in reality. However i felt after 20mins or less the front seats were uncomfortable too, goodness knows how i would feel after a couple of hours.

My question is, are the leather seats any more 'forgiving' than the cloth ones? Maybe i just need to plump up a bit :)

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,242 Posts
There's nothing worse than uncomfortable seats. I'd find one with the seats you want and try for yourself. I think seat comfort depends on a lot and what someone thinks is fine someone else thinks is terrible.

Worth looking at the mini too. It has pull out recaro style thigh support on higher trims. Looks far more comfortable. I'd think they'd end up doing a clubman version that will be more practical if the 2 door mini isn't suitable. Same electric gubbins underneath as the i3 but it's front wheel drive.

I've had two EVs with poor seats in terms of comfort or proper adjustability and it's not worth the hassle.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had an i3 with the leather seats - Only thing is they don't have side bolsters, so maybe not as supportive as an M sport seat, but the leather seemed softer and comfortable to me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I too find the leather seats not as comfortable as they ought to be. I'm 6' and would like just a little more cushion and thigh support, and the lack of bolstering is remarkable for such a feisty little car. But I'm also not uncomfortable. Just underwhelmed.

I'm happy with the visibility and remember thinking it was an improvement over my former Audi wagon. However, I do miss having blind spot monitoring in this car, and under many daily driving conditions find the chunky driver side A-pillar obstructs my visibility you a greater degree than other cars I drive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts