Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went for a 60 mile round trip today to test drive the ex-demonstrator they have at a Vauxhall dealership in Melton Mowbray (Electron in white)

I must say I was impressed at how it drove, smooth and not too shabby performance wise.. It feels like a proper full size car compared to the Prius. It's certainly made me want one more.

The ex-demo car has 3000 miles on it, and they were prepared to knock a (not so) massive £500 off compared to a new one. Why would you buy a used car with 3000 on the clock to save £500 ?!?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
That is interesting because I asked my dealer about ex-demo deals to see if it was potentially worth waiting a little bit but I was told that all the dealers have a contractual obligation to hold on to their demo car for at least a year.

Do they have more than one demo? Perhaps there is some clause that they must hold on to at least one for a year allowing them to sell off any others?

·
Premium Member
11,205 Posts
Would you get the lifetime warranty as second owner? if they say yes I would recommend you get in writing.

You could try and haggle to get the discount and 3 years servicing included; but still not sure I would bite...

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
If this is the one on eBay then I already asked and you don't get the plug-in car grant or the lifetime warranty. I have no idea how they think they will get £34k for it. £500 off? More like £5000...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dpeilow said:
If this is the one on eBay then I already asked and you don't get the plug-in car grant or the lifetime warranty. I have no idea how they think they will get £34k for it. £500 off? More like £5000...
This is the car I test drove CLICKY

I didn't ask about the warranty, there was no point since £500 was a pathetic sum to take off the list price for a well-used car, it wasn't as if it was "delivery miles".

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Without the lifetime warranty I'd expect you would be better off buying a volt...

I'm guessing this is not a dealer demo car but instead a Vauxhall demo car (VXL plate) it may have been one of the ecovelocity demo cars, or maybe something else, perhaps even the brochure photo car.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Parax said:
I'm guessing this is not a dealer demo car but instead a Vauxhall demo car (VXL plate) it may have been one of the ecovelocity demo cars, or maybe something else, perhaps even the brochure photo car.
Apparently the plate is for sale also, so unlikely to be owned by Vauxhall themselves. The dealer said they weren't official Ampera dealers, but the MD had managed to bag one somehow.

Interestingly, but not exactly a great sales technique, the car had averaged 50mpg since new, as the "MD uses it daily and never charges it"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts