Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apart from the EV experience centre in Milton Keynes , has anyone found dealerships willing to give you an extended test drive for between 4 and 7 days

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had to scream & shout with my local dealership to get a 48hr test drive. Honestly you’d think they’d be offering them out. I didn’t want to hand it back.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,700 Posts
There's usually dealers 'somewhere' in the UK that will let you, but (by Sod's second law) never near you.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3 (120Ah)
1,006 Posts
If you can't find anyone who can give you a test drive, another option would be to go with a local car club and do a self service rental of an EV for as long as you need to test it out. Especially if you add a promo code you could get a good discount on that too.

Not going to be free, but it gives you as much time as you want and no pressure from sales people when you return it.

Where abouts are you, and what model are you looking to try out? I'll see what I can find.

(if you're nowhere near MK, traveling to the experience centre to collect a car for a week isn't a great option either. I believe they have a fairly small mileage allowance and charge a fair bit for going over)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Most BMW dealers will allow extended test drives in the i3. Sytner Leicester let my wife borrow one for 4 days. Allowed her to try the car in every day life, commuting etc. That was 2016. Ordered one as a result.

When her i3 was in for servicing Sycamore Peterborough kindly arranged for an i3S to be her loan car for 3 days. They went to the extent of tracking one down from BMW UK and having it delivered just for her to use.
Bought one as a result.

If you demonstrate to the dealer that you’re genuinely in the market, but need to try an EV to make sure it fits into your life, they should accommodate. its a big change from the convenience of dragging 600 miles of fuel around behind you.
Despite the other failing of their dealer network, BMW certainly seem to understand that and their policy on test drives has helped them sell a lot of i3s.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts