Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All

I have driven a leaf on a short test drive. I am about to collect (next week) for an extended drive. What should I be looking out for or be aware of (what functionality should I be testing)? For example, should I try and charge at a local charge post (just to experience it)

Huw

·
Registered
610 Posts
Maybe have a go on a rapid, but it's much more fun driving the thing. Have a go round town to see how much less hassle it is and, of course, give it a some welly from a standing start, possibly with some boy racer to go against.

Try and get some motorways in so you can see how it handles and how the guessometer goes all pessimistic.

I took my wife and one of my daughters out for a 60 mile trip. That way I got all the cars buttons pressed and a buy in from the boss.

·
Registered
2018 Leaf 40kwh Tekna
190 Posts
Hi,
I would say primarily that you check that it'll manage your regular daily trips, to work and back etc or how ever it'll be used. As others will tell you, and you'll probably know, you won't be getting 124 miles to a charge. More likely 90-100 in summer and 75 ish in winter so make sure that these are doable for your usual usage.

If you plan on using public charging regularly I would say try it out, assuming that you'll have relevant cards.

Try out all modes of drive, D/B Eco etc!

Enjoy the silent running and stress easing drive! Also every now and again, as @harrisop said turn off Eco and shock a few boy racers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi

I'm doing a 24h Leaf test drive on Saturday. Might want to take it out of London for a quick trip. Unfortunately, Nissan does not provide Electric Highway (Ecotricty) card, which is a shame.

What charging stations can be used without membership card? I think Zerocarbonworld chargers are open to everybody, are they? Any suggestions for a nice short electric trip out of London??? ( was thinking about going to Cambridge but might be too ambitious for the first drive)

Thanks,

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hi
All the above, plus try it up a steep hill accelerating from a standstill and try plugging in at home.
Be careful around pedestrians and cyclists - they won't hear you.

·
Registered
731 Posts
You can use the cyc (charge your car) app if you have a smart phone, you have to register a debit card but some chargers are free. Not sure if you can use any rapids with it though??

Charging is fairly simple anyway your time would be much better spent traveling the journeys you do day in day out to see if the car suits your needs

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Hi

I'm doing a 24h Leaf test drive on Saturday. Might want to take it out of London for a quick trip. Unfortunately, Nissan does not provide Electric Highway (Ecotricty) card, which is a shame.

What charging stations can be used without membership card? I think Zerocarbonworld chargers are open to everybody, are they? Any suggestions for a nice short electric trip out of London??? ( was thinking about going to Cambridge but might be too ambitious for the first drive)

Thanks,
Unless you can borrow an ecotricity, or source london (also accepted by ecotricity) card from a friend or helpful local forumite before the weekend, then I think you're making life difficult.

A trip of around 60 miles to Cambridge from the city is well within range pretty much however you drive, but you'd need some top up charging either within Cambridge or via a Rapid Charger to comfortably make it back.

One obvious option is to ask to use a rapid charger at a NISSAN dealer somewhere enroute - they should happily provide you with a rapid charge and you won't need a card.

However, if you're not careful you'll miss the opportunity to enjoy the car and spend your time faffing about trying to coordinate charging, something you'll find easy when armed with the correct RFID cards.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts