Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Checking out this car today. It's an excite although we would likely go for the exclusive.

Any tips on things to check out?

Unfortunately the weather is forecast for heavy rain and wind - not ideal!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I might add, what's the lead time on these cars? When I was on the phone, they said lead time was impacted by coronaviris and couldn't give me a definitive answer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would also ask him about the facelift version because I’ve heard rumours it’s got an LCD heads up display and an improved infotainment system. See if you can find out when that’s due because the videos online look pretty tasty. Same range, same power just interior mods and a new infotainment which is the weakest part of the car.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Unfortunately the weather is forecast for heavy rain and wind - not ideal!
Quite useful to find out how it copes in them as it's real world conditions plus you'll be closer to the limits on grip than is normal on a test drive.
Any tips on things to check out?
Bongs, and whether yours will be the facelift version. Potentially the weak spot of the infotainment system and the lack of app support may be addressed which will significantly affect resale value in the future if you are planning on purchasing rather than PCH.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the extremely useful replies- no idea that a facelift was pending!

It's a straight sale as the car I'm trading in has about £15k value so cant really pcp on that (at least I don't think so?)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I would check seat comfort as there's no lumber adjustment, this might be a deal breaker.
Also ask your dealer for a quote for the maintenance plan. I find that negotiating these things before you've committed to buying tends to get a better price.
Ask your dealer if they'll include a type 2 cable, mats, and other accessories. Some will, some won't.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
P
I would also ask him about the facelift version because I’ve heard rumours it’s got an LCD heads up display and an improved infotainment system. See if you can find out when that’s due because the videos online look pretty tasty. Same range, same power just interior mods and a new infotainment which is the weakest part of the car.
This is pure guess work here, but I would suspect we will not be seeing the facelift model until the back end of 2020.
How quickly you receive your order, will depend on the model and colour you want.
Exclusive models appear to be a little slower to arrive.
I think it’s worth the wait though.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
A bit of a bizzare thing, but it happened to me - make sure the drivers seat is high enough, otherwise your elbow will be forced up by the centre console

·
Zoe Devotee
8,578 Posts
I might add, what's the lead time on these cars? When I was on the phone, they said lead time was impacted by coronaviris and couldn't give me a definitive answer.
Depends. If your dealer gets a cancellation then you may get a chance to jump up the list. Black seems the least purchased colour, so that might mean you'll more easily get one.... or the opposite. Blue seems to be level picking with Red but I think Red generally has a longer lead time.

Source please?

What has recently been banded around the FB group is that an update is coming, with app (so 3g hardware incoming too) that will be able to be retrospectively added (possibly at a 1 off cost). But at this time its just some employee in MG Europe answering a question from an owner.

but I would suspect we will not be seeing the facelift model until the back end of 2020.
Agreed. I think we will see an official car (instead of renders), and the ICE will get the remodel first and the EV will be as much as a year after that time.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I think we will see an official car (instead of renders), and the ICE will get the remodel first and the EV will be as much as a year after that time.
As you might say, source please? If the changes are not specific to the fuel why would they prioritise one over the other? If anything they are likely to have excess stock of the ICE to sell off first before updating them.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,578 Posts
As you might say, source please? If the changes are not specific to the fuel why would they prioritise one over the other? If anything they are likely to have excess stock of the ICE to sell off first before updating them.

I'm basing my presumption on historic mid life refreshes and updates of cars in general.

Renault for example released Rlink 2 on Clio but Zoe only got a 1.5 update. Cars like the Golf might get a midlife nip tuck, but its 6 months to a year if at all before those bits make their way through to the EV model.

The current render of the updated ZS is an ICE render. The ZS EV has the updated 8" in car ents, the ICE has the older one with no AA for example. So its not like MG haven't differentiated between the versions of the model already. The ICE currently doesn't have the Exclusive glass roof, but I bet the MK1.5 version will have it available.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
3,726 Posts
Ordered November, pick up week on Tuesday.

Could have had someone's rejected order beginning of Feb, but wanted 20 plate.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again for the replies.

I'll add a bit more later when I've time but overall, I left impressed.

I'm not a big fan of its looks - neither great looking or bad looking, just a bit....normal.

Once inside, it's an accomplished car and well screwed together. Was happy with cabin noise, comfort, controls, responsiveness and I liked the weight of the steering. In fact, once behind the wheel, its quite difficult to find anything to complain about. It's a budget car but its certainly not a budget driving experience. They obviously can't give you leather dashboards and the like at this price bracket but it seems they've spent the money in all the right places. A very good car for the money.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Thanks again for the replies.

I'll add a bit more later when I've time but overall, I left impressed.

I'm not a big fan of its looks - neither great looking or bad looking, just a bit....normal.

Once inside, it's an accomplished car and well screwed together. Was happy with cabin noise, comfort, controls, responsiveness and I liked the weight of the steering. In fact, once behind the wheel, its quite difficult to find anything to complain about. It's a budget car but its certainly not a budget driving experience. They obviously can't give you leather dashboards and the like at this price bracket but it seems they've spent the money in all the right places. A very good car for the money.
I think it is very true to say, that MOST people feel the same way after their first test drive.
When I had my very first test drive, I really expected NOT to come away happy.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,578 Posts
I think it is very true to say, that MOST people feel the same way after their first test drive.
When I had my very first test drive, I really expected NOT to come away happy.

misplaced Sinophobia? Which you've now been disabused of. (y) I hear it all to often when you buy cheap from China you buy twice.... when in actual fact if you buy cheap from ANYWHERE you buy twice.

If SAIC are good enough to build VW cars for VW then i'm sure the lessons they've learned there means they can make MGs with near VW quality.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
misplaced Sinophobia? Which you've now been disabused of. (y) I hear it all to often when you buy cheap from China you buy twice.... when in actual fact if you buy cheap from ANYWHERE you buy twice.

If SAIC are good enough to build VW cars for VW then i'm sure the lessons they've learned there means they can make MGs with near VW quality.
They are the worlds best at copying things thats for sure !.
The majority of phones or lap tops and tablets we use to make these comment, all come from that part of the world.
Great business model, get the big players to put up the money for the R&D on the parts they require.
Then produce the said parts and sell at a price to earn a good profit !.
Next phase, build your own cars using all of these parts that are at their disposal.
Winner winner - chicken diner !.
It's there for everybody to follow I guess !.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
This could well be a good "Stab in the Dark" on how the face lift model will look.
The video was shot in India and is aimed at the petrol versions of the car, but I think the EV model will follow down the same path as the ICE cars.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,578 Posts
So Chrome delete on front and new headlights?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts