Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have currently got a Ohme tethered type 1 charger fitted at home for my Mitsubishi phev,
I have a MG5 on order , delivery January ( with a bit of luck) . What are my best options for converting the charger to a type 2 , a converter lead , or getting an electrician to change the type 1 plug to a type 2
thank you

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,885 Posts
Assuming that you are already an Octopus customer, buy one of the discounted commando eads before Christmas and sell the existing one. You should end up in profit even after paying a Sparky to swap it over.

·
Registered
24 kWh Nissan Leaf; Tesla Model 3
146 Posts
Are you keeping both cars? If so, logical choices are an unteathered charger (what I went for), and adaptor (what my folks went for), or two chargers?

If you are swapping cars, I would try contacting Ohme directly - they might be willing to swap or sell you a replacement tethered cable, and have your electrician switch it over?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you keeping both cars? If so, logical choices are an unteathered charger (what I went for), and adaptor (what my folks went for), or two chargers?

If you are swapping cars, I would try contacting Ohme directly - they might be willing to swap or sell you a replacement tethered cable, and have your electrician switch it over?
Hi, no I’m not keeping both cars, contacted Ohme, there only interested in selling me a new unit for £450, so that’s not an option I just want the plug that goes into the car.
thank you

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
Reactions: Eaz5

·
Registered
2011 Leaf with Muxsan 17.6kWh battery, curt tow hitch fitted for bikes or buzz rack P10
309 Posts
@Edd Beesley I hate how expensive bits like this are but nonetheless its a good solution which allows some flexibility.

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
@Edd Beesley I hate how expensive bits like this are but nonetheless its a good solution which allows some flexibility.
It’s reassuringly expensive. You probably could get a flimsy bit of Chinese tat for a lot less but it wouldn’t stand the test of time.

Reactions: freddym

·
Registered
2011 Leaf with Muxsan 17.6kWh battery, curt tow hitch fitted for bikes or buzz rack P10
309 Posts
It’s reassuringly expensive. You probably could get a flimsy bit of Chinese tat for a lot less but it wouldn’t stand the test of time.
kind of. if you could guarantee that paying more always bought you quality then yes. The issue I have is that EV related gear carries quite the premium above normal wiring and I think it must be related to mass production in that EV stuff historically was not produced in enough quantity to bring the prices down. Now though we should be reaching a tipping point and this stuff should be getting cheaper except it isn't and I suspect the manufacturers are just realising that people have accepted the high price of things like this.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
kind of. if you could guarantee that paying more always bought you quality then yes. The issue I have is that EV related gear carries quite the premium above normal wiring and I think it must be related to mass production in that EV stuff historically was not produced in enough quantity to bring the prices down. Now though we should be reaching a tipping point and this stuff should be getting cheaper except it isn't and I suspect the manufacturers are just realising that people have accepted the high price of things like this.
Make your own? (You know, make a prototype, get some injection molds made...)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Make your own? (You know, make a prototype, get some injection molds made...)
I did look into making a box up that would act as a multi adapter. so I could take advantage of tesla (agnostic) destination chargers and type 2 tethered chargers like (BMW EVSE etc). As I have a type 1 on both our Leafs. Also use the 44 ac on ecotricity/lidl chargers if the Chademo is already in use/broken. One day 22kw retrofit chargers might even be a economically viable proposition.

My friend Tim made in-roads into this idea with a viridian based DIY EVSE which could reduce the charge via a pot. It meant given a load of different pigtail combos he could get a charge lots of places by reducing the current. He always took care to ask the owners. He has been at this EV lark a lot longer than alot of folk and as such endured the period where public charging was far more sparse than it is now.

I do dabble in making stuff using 3D routing and 3D printing but honestly making this stuff and having it safe is expensive, time consuming so when I say make a box to do x y and z. I mean buying the mating parts off the shelf, getting things crimped using the proper tools, running the ideas past people who know alot more than I and checking to see if there is a professionally made product already available that does the job already.

My earlier point I still think is valid. A lot of the parts for electric car parts are high due to scales of production being not high enough. (making your own one off only exacerbates this issue). We waste tremendous amounts of material/energy when we don't have universal connector standards.
It would have been great if the auto manufacturers had accepted Teslas offering of using there design that they were giving away for the charging plug. Like a usb C for cars but no, now we have multiple. Also I am no tesla fan, (right to repair etc), I see them as the apple of EVs but there are things they did which are/were undeniably beneficial to the uptake of EVs.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Life : Peugeot e208 Allure Plus
11 Posts
I've been looking at changing my type 1 tethered lead for a replacement type 2 for my
new car. You can buy replacement cables or even just a replacement plug and change them yourself?
What do you think?

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
I've been looking at changing my type 1 tethered lead for a replacement type 2 for my
new car. You can buy replacement cables or even just a replacement plug and change them yourself?
What do you think?
It's a lot easier for average Joe to replace the tethered lead complete with a new charging connector.

To change only the connector requires some dexterity, patience and special tools ( hydraulic crimper).

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree. I bet it is all manufactured in China anyway.

I was looking to buy a replacement rubber cap for my Type 2 cable £12.00 is the cheapest I can find. Absolute rip-off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts