Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this has already been covered many times already. We are replacing our Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV with a Kia E-Niro over the next few weeks. We have a Chargemaster tethered type 1 home charger that was installed in summer 2017 and I have been investigating the options available for home charging. Unfortunately I am not eligible for an OLEV grant as we already received one for our current charger so I have looked at a few options and am after some advice...

• My first plan was to look at removal of the current charger and replacement with a tethered type 2. A local EV installer has quoted £600 plus VAT for removal of the current charger and replacement with an EO box.
  • I then looked at a type 1 to type 2 adapter (either short cable or the simple converter dongle) for £100-130.
  • Finally I have seen recommendations to simply replace the cable with a tethered type 2 cable at £120 for the cable.
I was taken with the final option and have sought quotes from electricians and this is where the trouble has started. I hasten to say that this is following a single conversation, but I am suitably worried and after some advice... I forwarded photos of the current installation from Chargemaster which had included a new consumer unit and all the cabling etc. The electrician who called me back then said that the consumer unit doesn't meet the latest electrical regs as it is in a plastic case and also stated that my unit should have an isolation switch on the unit itself and that a new earth point was required.

What I had originally thought would be a £120 cable plus installation was now looking at £400-£500 pounds before we even looked at replacing the cable.

This leads me to the crux of my question; is he correct or do you think he is trying to take me for a ride. Despite the fact that the unit was installed by Chargemaster, he kept on saying that they weren't qualified electricians and had simply done an installation course so that would explain the "unsafe" features of the installation.

Help!!!!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The cable is quite easy to change - I did mine on my unit and all is working well and I'm not an electrician. Just make sure you fully isolate the supply to your unit before you start and take photos of where each wire connects to. Or you could use an adapter like below for £80:

·
Registered
10 Posts
He is taking you for a ride. A tethered cable change is fairly straightforward to swap out, certainly was on a pod point i looked at.

I would go with plan A, you can sell the chargemaster for £200 on ebay and have a much nicer looking chargepoint with the EO unit.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Is your existing charger 16A or 32A.

If it's 16A, it might be worth replacing the entire unit.

If it's 32A, replace the cable yourself.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,046 Posts
do you think he is trying to take me for a ride.
Oh yeah he is.

My daughter swapped from a 22 kWh Zoe to a 30 kWh Leaf (long story) so had to change a 2016 ChargeMaster tethered type 2 to type 1 (not a move many people will make). I got my untethered type 2 converted to tethered thanks to her cable. The untethered to tethered is a much more complex swap as the type 2 to type 1 was a simple matter of unscrewing the connections for one cable inserting the connections for the other cable and tightening up the screws.

It's a case of it's too small a job. So it's not profitable for him. There will be an increase in the price of the new charge unit from wholesale to you. Plus the extra time taken.

I have window where the catch is broken, but no-one will touch it unless I have some other work done.

·
Registered
493 Posts
It certainly used to be the case that you could claim for a second charge point if you have two EVs. So if you can hold on to the Outlander for a short while, you may be able to get a second charge point. Worth investigating before committing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all
It certainly used to be the case that you could claim for a second charge point if you have two EVs. So if you can hold on to the Outlander for a short while, you may be able to get a second charge point. Worth investigating before committing.
Unfortunately we are part exchanging the Outlander for the E-Niro. The new point option may be the way ahead in a couple of months if the interim of an adapter or changed tether cable doesn't work out.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
A cable change is an easy DIY job for anyone reasonably savvy. The new cable will arrive with the individual leads suitably crimped. Then just change colour for colour in the connection blocks. It's unlikely that you will be able to eBay the removed cable though as there is little market for that now.

I suspect that your sparky has been reading up about new installations that have tightened up considerably recently - but repairs and replacements to existing installations most likely don't apply retrospectively.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Change the cable yourself just take your time I changed mine when we went to a later model Leaf. or buy an adaptor, (I think Tesla supplied an adaptor on early models to fit the special socket...)

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
482 Posts
I changed my 5m tethered T1 to a 8m tethered T2 on my Rolec then sold the T1 on Ebay. Also I had to buy a crimping tool to put ferrules on the end of the T2 as it didn't come with ferruled ends, then I sold the crimping tool on Ebay fo a few £ less than I paid for it. Simple job.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I am in a similar situation need to update to T2 tethered. My Leaf has a 3.3 OBC and any new car will be 7 kWh will I need to change anything internally on the pod point as it was a £99 upgrade to get 7 kWh when it was installed?

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
I am in a similar situation need to update to T2 tethered. My Leaf has a 3.3 OBC and any new car will be 7 kWh will I need to change anything internally on the pod point as it was a £99 upgrade to get 7 kWh when it was installed?
If the wall charger is only a 16 amp unit it will certainly need to be up-rated to 32 amps to charge a 6.6 Kw capable car. It could also be that the mains supply cable from the CU, and the breaker in there, were only sized to carry 16 amps as well. Meaning that they will also need to be up-rated to handle double the current.

·
Registered
104 Posts
when did you get your podpoint installed?

If you look at the RCBO is it C20 or C40?
Can’t you see any markings on the cable? Your looking for 3 x 6mm or 3 x 4mm.

·
Registered
104 Posts
When podpoint realised nearly everyone would have to upgrade they installed the pods with 6mm and 40amp rcbos so when you ring up and upgrade they just flick a switch at the other end, easiest 100 quid a company can earn.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Installed April 2017. RCBO is C20. Have 100 amp main fuse so plenty of juice to upgrade to 7Kw.

·
Registered
104 Posts
They’ll have to come out to upgrade the rcbo. The dip switched in the pod can be changed but I think there all overridden from office nowadays.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts