Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried today to register for an exemption from the London Congestion Charge.

The website correctly recognises my vehicle as a Jaguar i-Pace when I enter the registration number.
It then asks me to upload a copy of the V5 registration document showing that the 'fuel type is electric'.

As I am leasing the vehicle, I don't have the V5.

Has anyone any experience of proving fuel type without this document?
Or has anyone managed to get a copy of the V5 from their leasing company?

I am travelling to London tomorrow so wondering if there is a quick solution?!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I tried today to register for an exemption from the London Congestion Charge.

The website correctly recognises my vehicle as a Jaguar i-Pace when I enter the registration number.
It then asks me to upload a copy of the V5 registration document showing that the 'fuel type is electric'.

As I am leasing the vehicle, I don't have the V5.

Has anyone any experience of proving fuel type without this document?
Or has anyone managed to get a copy of the V5 from their leasing company?

I am travelling to London tomorrow so wondering if there is a quick solution?!
You can ask your leasing company to give you a copy, or you can provide a copy of the gov.uk vehicle enquiry page where it shows the fuel type and emissions ratings. Most places will accept this instead.

If you're going tomorrow though, you're too late. If you are passing through the congestion charge zone at the right time of day you'll almost certainly have to pay to do so before they process and confirm your exemption. I think it took just under a week last time I did such a registration.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I tried to get my leasing company to send me a copy of the V5 for this reason. I didn't get a response to my emails and ringing customer services didn't help, either.

I ended up being able to park just outside the congestion zone so I didn't need the exemption.

You can ask your leasing company to give you a copy, or you can provide a copy of the gov.uk vehicle enquiry page where it shows the fuel type and emissions ratings. Most places will accept this instead.

If you're going tomorrow though, you're too late. If you are passing through the congestion charge zone at the right time of day you'll almost certainly have to pay to do so before they process and confirm your exemption. I think it took just under a week last time I did such a registration.
The only option I could see on the TfL site was to upload a copy of the V5.

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019 and eTron 55 / 2020
711 Posts
I have a lease car (iPace), the leasing company has a driver helpline number. Called in and within a few minutes I had a PDF of the v5 and a letter of authority from the lease company. Trivially simple. As mentioned above the TFL Registration process takes several days.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have a lease car (iPace), the leasing company has a driver helpline number. Called in and within a few minutes I had a PDF of the v5 and a letter of authority from the lease company. Trivially simple. As mentioned above the TFL Registration process takes several days.
It sounds like your leasing company does a far better job of providing customer service than mine.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks for the reference to the vehicle enquiries page.

I have uploaded this to the TFL website - I will wait and see what happens [and avoid the zone tomorrow ]!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
It's so utterly stupid as TFL (or anyone else) can look up the vehicle type themselves - I had an issue with an incorrect ULEZ fine where I had to send a V5 copy when they could have just looked it up on the public DVLA car tax website. Muppets.

·
Registered
2020 Vauxhall Corsa-e Elite Nav 7kw
210 Posts
Mine also freely provided me with a photocopy of the V5C along with a letter confirming I have exclusive use of the car. I think the leasing companies are used to this type of request, many councils also ask to see the V5C in order to issue on street parking permits too.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I was always under the impression that the V5 had to show the registered keeper, not the vehicle owner.
Correct. A V5 is not proof of ownership of the car. But I think it's fairly standard for leasing companies to remain the registered keeper since it's essentially just a long term rental.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
I’ve now registered two leased cars for the discount. In both cases I’ve had to hassle the lease co (Alphabet and VWFS) for a scan of the V5 but once I’ve had that the registration has gone through with no problem.

·
Registered
Audi e-tron 50
173 Posts
I don't have the V5, so uploaded a screenshot of the gov website.
I did this last week and got confirmation back 2 days later that it was accepted.
Me also. My acceptance came back after 5 days but 2 of those were weekend days.
In support I sent pdfs of the "vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk" web page where you check to see if a car's got tax and MOT (where my leaser's e-tron is identified as being fuelled by electricity and having zero CO₂ emissions) and the 'Check your vehicle' page on "tfl.gov.uk" where the e-tron is stated as only liable for congestion charge - i.e. it has low emissions.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't have the V5, so uploaded a screenshot of the gov website.
I did this last week and got confirmation back 2 days later that it was accepted.
This has also worked for me now. Took 4 working days.

In the meantime I did managed to get a 'Supressed' V5 from the leasing company.
(I had not come across one of these before - it is a digital V5 as they do not hold paper versions of the V5).

The V5 was not required on the end as the pdf from the gov.uk website was accepted.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
32,074 Posts
I'm not particularly sure why EVs should be exempt from congestion charge, thus why people would get stressed about it if they can't sort the admin out fast enough to benefit from that particular 'give-away'.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
32,074 Posts
This would be to encourage people to buy them
But for why?

Does one BEV on the road cause less congestion than one ICE?

There is a separate charge/incentive scheme for emissions. This one is about congestion.

Also, if there are less BEV on the road that don't 'really' need to be there, then that ICE behind them, stuck in heavy BEV congestion, that does really need to be there is emitting more, so indirectly BEV congestion causes more ICE pollution.

·
Registered
Audi e-tron 50
173 Posts
But for why?

Does one BEV on the road cause less congestion than one ICE?

There is a separate charge/incentive scheme for emissions. This one is about congestion.

Also, if there are less BEV on the road that don't 'really' need to be there, then that ICE behind them, stuck in heavy BEV congestion, that does really need to be there is emitting more, so indirectly BEV congestion causes more ICE pollution.
Crikey - a truly nonsensical argument.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts