Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see from a post on RZOC FB site that TfL are removing AC from their Triple-head rapids and blanking them off.
They claim there are no EVs which can rapid charge on AC, so they're removing the facility.
Seems a backward step to me. I've tweeted them about it, but I think we'll probably need a concerted effort on social media to get anything done to reverse it.

I don't want to start a debate about merits of AC vs DC charging here, but to remove a facility that exists and Zoe drivers benefit from seems ridiculous.

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,628 Posts
Sounds like a deliberate plan to stop any slow charging type 2 vehicles plugging in to me. If so thats really tough on Zoe rapid ac models.

·
Premium Member
11,054 Posts
Probably to stop taxi drivers getting confused and using wrong plug. We have heard several stories of people plugging in the AC plug to a CCS car o_O

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Probably to stop taxi drivers getting confused and using wrong plug. We have heard several stories of people plugging in the AC plug to a CCS car o_O
I've seen a Hyundai Ioniq plugged into the AC plug of a triple head Evolt Rapid instead of the CCS...

It worked in my favour as I arrived wanting to use Chademo on my Ion, which I was able to because they were using AC instead of CCS. And in the time I was there I charged about 4 times quicker and had left while their car had still taken only a fraction of the charge I had... :D

CCS users plugging into the AC side of a rapid by mistake or ignorance is going to be a real problem once "normal" people start buying EV's I think. As much as it hurts Zoe owners, I think long term removing the AC plug from a rapid is the right thing to do - provided a 22kW stand alone charge point is available nearby to replace it.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would be less bothered if the cable was replaced with a 22kW socket. Zoe owners can take advantage with their 3-phase type-2 cables; I know 43kW Zoe's would be penalised by this but it better than no charge at all. The BMW / Mercs seem to be supplied without public cables, so there'd be less PHEV blocking problems.

If Ionic drivers are using AC instead of CCS, that suggests a woeful lack of communication from dealers.

·
Premium Member
11,054 Posts
If Ionic drivers are using AC instead of CCS, that suggests a woeful lack of communication from dealers
Bear in mind that a lot of BEVs and PHEVs are company (fleet) cars where the driver doesn't get a retail "handover", just someone from the fleet dept probably giving them the keys! It is one reason that fleet cars are a supplied at a higher discount - low overheads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts