Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Atilla
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldn't believe it. 80 13A charge points, free (pay to park), at Highcross multi-story. Parking "Electric Bay parking located on levels 1,2,3,6 and 7. " A few were ICE'd, but it would take some bad luck to find them all blocked! 13A is slow, obvs, but tbh if you are staying 3-4 hours it is useful and the infrastructure must be cheap to install. Worth mentioning that Leicester Park and Ride also has free rapids and it is free to park, bus tickets being £3.50 for up to 5 people. Love Leicester. Oxford, in comparison, must be trying to close down!

·
The best there is at what I do
10,633 Posts
Couldn't believe it. 80 13A charge points, free (pay to park), at Highcross multi-story. Parking "Electric Bay parking located on levels 1,2,3,6 and 7. " A few were ICE'd, but it would take some bad luck to find them all blocked! 13A is slow, obvs, but tbh if you are staying 3-4 hours it is useful and the infrastructure must be cheap to install. Worth mentioning that Leicester Park and Ride also has free rapids and it is free to park, bus tickets being £3.50 for up to 5 people. Love Leicester. Oxford, in comparison, must be trying to close down!
Rapids at Park and Ride is odd, would have thought Fast 7kW would have been quite sufficient.

Oxford council say they are all for encouraging more EV take up as they can see the benefits however they don't seem to be doing a great deal at the moment.

The new station at Water Eaton is adjacent to a P&R with no charge points at all, would have been an ideal location as would the new station at Bicester Town (incorrectly called Village:p), and the single 3 pin at Bicester North has not worked for as long as I can remember.

Oxford City Council - Electric Vehicles

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The 1 x 13A and 1 x Type 2 at some of the Oxford P&R are on Polar so anyone on PAYG will be paying £1.70 an hour (soon £1.20 + £1.50 an hour) while leaving their car there.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Couldn't believe it. 80 13A charge points, free (pay to park), at Highcross multi-story. Parking "Electric Bay parking located on levels 1,2,3,6 and 7.
I thought it was more like 100 but you have probably counted them!
It certainly is good foresight by the local council during the planning stage of the car park.
I have been badgering the Leicester Mayor directly about EV's and what they can do to make them more appealing by opening the bus lanes etc but haven't got anywhere yet.
Also hinted that some of the 13A sockets should be upgraded to Type 2 and hopefully that will sink in.

They are often ICE'd but I always plug in even if I don't need it to make a point to the non EV's parking there.

·
Atilla
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rapids at Park and Ride is odd, would have thought Fast 7kW would have been quite sufficient.

Oxford council say they are all for encouraging more EV take up as they can see the benefits however they don't seem to be doing a great deal at the moment.

The new station at Water Eaton is adjacent to a P&R with no charge points at all, would have been an ideal location as would the new station at Bicester Town (incorrectly called Village:p), and the single 3 pin at Bicester North has not worked for as long as I can remember.

Oxford City Council - Electric Vehicles
Yep, Leicester Fares « QuickSilver Park & Ride Leicester free to park, cheap bus ticket (£3.50 for a family of 5), Polar run the chargers so PAYG now (Grr). Chargers are 7kW (my error thinking they were Rapids). Oxford Oxford City Council - Park and Ride £2 to park, £2.80 each to travel, charging also operated by Polar/CM. In both cases Electric Highway chargers are fairly convenent.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
This is a really sensible way to do things. No complicated cables, sockets, cards or protocols. It's not just the sheer number of sockets it is also the fact that a billion 13A sockets have been working flawlessly for decades. Whereas no-one seems capable of building a Type-2 or rapid post which works for longer than a couple of months (except, strangely, our home charging points ... hmm, the RFID shambles would appear to be the root cause).

·
Atilla
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 8 of 8 Posts