Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well could not have timed that better, On way home this morning with just 3% left in the battery, Ready for a week at home doing some building work

Ding Ding Text From Bonnet "We Have Missed You, your next charge is on us". Thank you Kindly,

37Mins later at Ionity and its brimmed with 77Kw added, to 100% (Yes I know nobody else was there it was sparrows fart on a Monday morning)

Home with 97% left, Off for 6 days now, so car plugged into house, we only use 8kw a day on average so car will power house happily for next 6 days,

Please Bonnet if you are listening can I have another free top up code for next weekend so I can top up for work next week without having to pay Octopus 5.5p a Kw.. :)

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Ac adapter Eyewear Electrical wiring Audio equipment Automotive tire

Communication Device Audio equipment Portable communications device Output device Gadget

·
Registered
MG5
1,320 Posts
what is the max Kw that you can draw from the car?

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what is the max Kw that you can draw from the car?
3500w Constant 7000w Peak Surge.. WE only run 1 major appliance at a time to be safe, but never really see it go above 3000w, and our baseload is only 120w, if you do make a mistake and go above 3500w constant you have to just press the black switch on the Type 2 Handle to reset it and start again.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How is the car wired into the house?
via a dual input breaker so when the car is switched on the grid switches off. Can only be one or the other car supplying house or grid supplying house. So when running from car the house is isolated from the grid.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Forgive my ignorance but is a dual input breaker something inexpensive to fit please
Yes its just a switch that switches between the Mains input and the Car input, you will need a qualified electrician to fit it of course as they need to disconnect the tails that run from the meter to the consumer unit and attached them to the switch and connect the car lead to the switch and run a new tails from the switch to the consumer unit, (all in 25mm for 100amp), its all simple stuff a decent sparky should get it all fitted and tested in an hour.

Switch is like this

Gas Kitchen appliance Electrical supply Electricity Electronic device

You also need a car that has the correct output, (Kia EV6 and Hyundai Ioniq5) (Also the latest MG ZS, but that outputs slightly lower at 2.5 to 3kw I think)

·
Registered
Audi eTron 55
1,186 Posts
Yes its just a switch that switches between the Mains input and the Car input, you will need a qualified electrician to fit it of course as they need to disconnect the tails that run from the meter to the consumer unit and attached them to the switch and connect the car lead to the switch and run a new tails from the switch to the consumer unit, (all in 25mm for 100amp), its all simple stuff a decent sparky should get it all fitted and tested in an hour.

Switch is like this

View attachment 163842

You also need a car that has the correct output, (Kia EV6 and Hyundai Ioniq5) (Also the latest MG ZS, but that outputs slightly lower at 2.5 to 3kw I think)
What's the earthing arrangement, please?

Reactions: Harry6

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 38kw
225 Posts

Switch is like this

View attachment 163842

That sounds excellent 👍. Just trying to get my head around the cable

The lead from the meter is interrupted and popped in bottom of switch.
Then a connection maybe waterproof socket installed outside cable runs too the switch

The switch now select car or mains
once the switch has been turned it outputs power to the consumer unit its that bit I assume its one cable only? Because my meter and consumer have tails sunk in the wall so not easy where located to add

Brilliant idea makes getters a car capable cheaper than installing batteries hopefully without voiding battery warranty

👍

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Unless you use LFP batteries or are on a lease where battery degradation wouldn't be measured, every discharge cycle has a cost. Solar PV with LFP storage are quite affordable nowadays.
£8k is for a 10kw system. Hardly affordable when there is a 77kw sitting outside the house a lot of the time
as for extra degradation. Car has 7 year warranty

The only car I ever had any warranty worries about was my Tesla model 3 with just 40k warranty I sold it after just 6 months as warranty would have been out in another 4 months due to mileage as the risk of running out of warranty with the things that had already failed worried me too much

·
Registered
Tesla Model Y, 2022
1,330 Posts
£8k is for a 10kw system. Hardly affordable when there is a 77kw sitting outside the house a lot of the time

as for extra degradation. Car has a 7-year warranty
Are you saying £8k is unaffordable after spending over £50k on an EV? Warranty is for manufacturing defects and surely wouldn't cover over usage of any battery.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are you saying £8k is unaffordable after spending over £50k on an EV? Warranty is for manufacturing defects and surely wouldn't cover over usage of any battery.
unaffordable in the sense why would I spend an extra £8k to duplicate a system the car already do and is built to do

where do you get over £50k from. My ev6 cost £39k

vehicle to load is a standard feature in the EV6 so of course it’s covered.

as for degradation I only keep my cars max 18 months as Ido 50k miles a year

my first Kona did 77k miles inn18 months and was still showing 100% SOH after 300k EV miles I have no worries about what the batteries will do

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My understanding is that the daily mileage covered by stageshoot with associated recharging is much more arduous for the battery compared with using the same battery to run his house for a week.
would think so. 1000 miles a week. About 300kw just over half by rapid charging

dispensing 8kw a day to the house must be like a holiday to the car….

saying that had its included SOC check last month at its 20k service and all 100%

·
Registered
Tesla Model Y, 2022
1,330 Posts
would think so. 1000 miles a week. About 300kw just over half by rapid charging

dispensing 8kw a day to the house must be like a holiday to the car….

saying that had its included SOC check last month at its 20k service and all 100%
100% battery is a pipe dream that is only possible due to the presence of buffer so you are considering just usable capacity alone. A brand new battery would degrade by 0.5% just within the first 2 months itself if you know how to perform degradation test correctly.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts