Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
Have owned my Ampera for 3 months now, and love it. Handed back my company car and am now saving money!! especially tax.
Have used the posts to:
Replace Battery
Fix steering lock fault whilst stranded
Change headlights lamps, so can actually see where I am going in the dark now.
Fixed charging flap
Fitted Voltshelf to protect luggage whilst out.
Replace front spoiler, so can actually go over speed bumps now.
Replace corroded wheel centre caps
My son works for Rolls Royce Marine Gas Turbines so he doesn't mind getting his hand dirty and giving me a hand.

Thank you for the posts, they have really helped
Kind Regards
Alan Lambourne
Hampshire Member

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Thank you, too, for being a good customer of mine, and buying some boot-clips! Profits go to charity partly, also my Tesla fund!

I see you've now got a Voltshelf; can I interest you in nice replacement supports for it, assuming you have those nasty bent-metal things hey come with? :):)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Welcome to the fold - from another relatively recent convert to Ampera ownership.
They are truly fantastic cars once you get the quirky glitches sorted . . .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the fold - from another relatively recent convert to Ampera ownership.
They are truly fantastic cars once you get the quirky glitches sorted . . .
Thanks, one that worries me is the steering lock fault, to finally get it resolved

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi Andy I must do you some new photos / video with the mk14 volt clips , in another matter where did everyone buy the shorter front air dam skirt , it appears on some sites but appears to be 50 quid , want it mail order to save a trip,to bellingers or Bristol street motors

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Alan
I am also a newcomer to the Ampera and I'm really enjoying it so far though I do agree with you about the headlights. From your original post you mention that you fixed them, can I ask how? did you go for LEDs or some fancy halogens?
Cheers
Simon

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I'm not Alan, but happy to jump in anyway! I did a lot of testing of the original halogens, Nightbreakers, and other LED bulbs. Never did get to try out Hids, and have never been in a Hid-lit Ampy, though I believe those using them are v happy with them. I posted a lot of comparison pics, and you can see them here:
Improving light beam performance
I'm still running the Hikari Ultra Leds I bought for £90 in Dec 2018, and they're still fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you, too, for being a good customer of mine, and buying some boot-clips! Profits go to charity partly, also my Tesla fund!

I see you've now got a Voltshelf; can I interest you in nice replacement supports for it, assuming you have those nasty bent-metal things hey come with? :):)
Your replacement part is great and a big improvement on the flimsy brackets

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm not Alan, but happy to jump in anyway! I did a lot of testing of the original halogens, Nightbreakers, and other LED bulbs. Never did get to try out Hids, and have never been in a Hid-lit Ampy, though I believe those using them are v happy with them. I posted a lot of comparison pics, and you can see them here:
Improving light beam performance
Hi Andy, thanks for jumping in, I have read through your thread and was very impressed by the bulbs you chose. I have some cheap eBay LEDs that I've tried and was just as impressed by the light output - I did a little research into the bulb shape, etc. and these ones were not far off the right size & shape - but at £16 I couldn't resist a play. I am conscious of how hot they can get and these ones have a built in fan. The only problem I can see with them so far is that when you stop at a junction you can actually hear the fans whirring! I guess that is the peril of having a silent car.
Simon

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Yup, fans are often the noisiest things in an Ev! Hope your cheapos go ok - the banggoods I tried were also very good. But with a real cheapo unit, you're probably getting fans with plastic bearings in, so god-knows what the lifetime's going to be with those, maybe ok if they use PTFE, may be poor if something inferior. So I'd say, make sure you have a spare set with you just-in-case!

·
Registered
266 Posts
... in another matter where did everyone buy the shorter front air dam skirt , it appears on some sites but appears to be 50 quid , want it mail order to save a trip,to bellingers or Bristol street motors
Also interested in this - the daily grind is starting to grate (sorry)...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Agreed - this forum is really good. Now, further to the above, I have neither the volt shelf nor the flimsy tea towel. Does anyone who's upgraded to a shelf want to sell on their tea towel to me? Thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts