Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With so much time to pass I've been doing some future planning with regards to EV purchasing and created a slideshow. It lists what I would consider the most important specifications, based on data retrieved from EV Database. The images are of similar style taken from cars currently for sale and as such representative.

Some of the ranges are a bit low IMO and can vary greatly depending on what driving modes are available of course, but for the sake of consistency I've kept them in line with EV Databases 'real range' figures.

It's for my own use, but I thought others might find it useful or interesting!

Rather than publish the file, I thought it would make easier reading to present as photographs:

·
Zoe Devotee
9,310 Posts
Probably worth noting you can get an MG ZS EV Excite model brand spanking new for £22k too.

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
341 Posts
The MG5 coming out in September, at least it was pre corona, is expected to be priced between £20-25k it has a big boot and a 52kwh usable battery too

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
791 Posts
Although a pretty good job, it would be better to compare like with like. Ie PCP costs with upfront cost averaged over the term, or new, cash ( discounted) price or cash price for a car with xx mileage.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Nice job with the comparison. The MG looks pretty good value when compared with the others IMO... however, at those prices I'd consider new.

·
Registered
541 Posts
PCP and 3rd party PCH (with standardised parameters) help as they illustrate what the industry believes the depreciation will look like as competition increases among with innovation (after the current ‘this too shall pass’). You need both to weed out blind discounts used to prop up selling prices (eg Nissan).

Unless I was certain I would keep it for a long long time I wouldn’t place £20K of my capital in any of those personally right now.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Unless I was certain I would keep it for a long long time I wouldn’t place £20K of my capital in any of those personally right now.
I'm taking the opportunity of the current situation not to ponder the issue too much, but I'd be interested in your thinking.

I've a bit of cash to go towards an EV thanks to a very well timed sale of some retirement shares, so the amount quoted is a useful yardstick. My current 10 year old car is working fine (touch wood) so there's no urgency and I tend to keep cars for a long time and have always bought on availability, price and function, i.e. sound system, colour, make, prestige, etc. aren't important to me.

I've never bought new and had to worry about depreciation and never leased and really don't want to pay interest but I can't really fathom lease prices at the moment in what they're telling me about the market and expectations, but the second hand market seems poor value.

As a single car household it has to have a reasonable range, although winter skiing trips will still have to be in my friend's diesel van! They won't be to Ischgl, that's for sure..

·
Registered
541 Posts
There isn’t really much of a current opportunity as nobody much is open. Most of the advertised cars are just static placeholders and the main ex lease auctions have gone ‘buy it now’. We will see the main effect once the major restrictions come off.

Possibly using eco cars (to manage the fees) right now you may get a deal as long as you know how delivery would happen.

·
Registered
541 Posts
My own situation is a 10 year old diesel Passat estate and 3 dogs. All the current stuff at any reasonable cost would be a faff for day to day use (dogs within the passenger space etc) and a massive compromise that hopefully will not be needed as more options become available.

The market is controlled by fines and targets right now that has driven the ‘hybrid’ blip. These cars will simply vanish once battery technology clicks forwards and are a fiendishly complicated kluge for when they age.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts