Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks for adding some more data esp Hilltop Dave.
I wanted to keep the data collection simple but being fully aware of all the factors affecting range. I just hope to be able to average out these factors by collecting a lot of data and then come up with some simple comparative figures for different cars in winter, spring, summer and autumn. Thanks again for your data and ideas.

ETA @ Astolat - As I suggested upthread you can add the start and end SoC but better I think to concentrate on 100% start and low end percentages.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Yesterday, in the cold and wet, did 4 single journeys totaling 33.4 miles and the SOC went from 100% to 40%. By my calculation, I would have reached 20% by the time I had done a total of 45 miles, so my figures would be:

Leaf,20,3,2,45

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I may have not been as clear as I had hoped in my original post but without knowing the temperature for your journeys I would log your data as.

Leaf,24,3,2,33.4,100-40

That assumes the temperature was 3 degC and the first number is the kWh for the car.
Not sure if you put 20 for the battery capacity because you have lost some capacity bars?
I hope to gather actual miles travelled for SOC from 100% to xx% (preferably 20%) rather than a calculated value.
All data very welcome though. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Might be worth some indication of dry or wet roads (eg. a 'w' after the temperature for the majority of the journey on wet roads) which would make my previous report Leaf,24,3w,33.4,100-40

Today achieved Leaf,24,7,2,52.6,100-30 before Rapid charging at Leominster

I had been reporting Leaf,20,,, because I have lost a capacity bar. (13 Reg)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Happy to adopt the "w" for wet but I really wouldn't want to go further down the route of adding qualifiers for other variations like a/c on or off or lights on or off. I am looking for broad brush data and lots of it. Other manufacturers welcome.

I accept there is a complication for lost battery capacity but you can always add this and other factors in the text

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
The extra drag caused by tyres having to displace water on the road is a significant factor affecting range, as is variation in altitude above sea level between the start and finish points.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Determined to get and share at least a years worth of useful range data for my car at least. So a couple of more entries still unfortunately at pretty low temperatures we've been suffering in the east of England recently.

Leaf,40,8,2,90 - after this series of trips of mixed driving I went on to look at range below the 20% comfort level. For the next 10% I got to 106 miles and the next 5% the odometer read 114 and the GOM read 9 miles . When % dropped from 4 to 3% odometer read 117 and GOM went from 6 to ---. I guessed that this probably meant I had at least 6 miles to go but I gave up the experiment at 2% capacity - odometer 120 and GOM ---. Still had full power at that point (last 20% was at 11 degC)

Latest mixed driving results were

Leaf,40,9,2,110 - so some improvement there as things warm up. Probably more solar gain and therefore less need for heating.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
@ Hilltop Dave - The full monthly summary spreadsheet would help greatly (how do you disseminate this type of data on this forum?) I have to admit the battery capacity loss is a detail I had not thought of but still think at the moment that keeping the minimum data is best when doing a broad brush analysis. I reckon then it would be best to record yours as Leaf,24,etc but then note the capacity loss in the text in case it proves necessary to add later. Rain, sun, altitude, road conditions, wind and all the other things that can affect range I would rather were left out.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks hilltop

Latest journey data just a little disappointing

Mainly A road and motorway at motorway speeds cruising at 65 - 70 and exceeding limit for overtaking needing plenty of acceleration at times.

Leaf,40,12,1,102

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I know this is looking like a very one way discussion but I will add the most recent data which was over the last couple of warm days we've just had. Although I have classed this as 2 (mixed driving) a lot of the miles were on A roads at 50 to 60 so likely to be efficient. Also its quite flat in Essex.

Leaf,40,18,2,124

Still hoping to get more data, particularly from divers of other EVs - BMW Renault Jag Hyundai Kia etc. Please see OP for format of the data.

And thanks again to Hilltop Dave who has sent me his detailed journey data log. I got it and am having a go at putting it into a graph.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I've just done 115miles in a 40kwh e-nv 200 from 100% down to 20% today on mainly A roads between 40 & 60mph with outside temp of 21°
So how would that show in your table?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
That would be, e-nv 200,40,21,2,115 - Thanks for your input.
where 2 = mixed driving
For other driving situations: 1 = motorway, 3 = city, 4 = sporty
It has been mentioned that many other factors affect range but I am trying to collate data in a simple format so that I can publish here (when there is enough data) to advise all of us how far we can travel from 100% to 20% SOC (where most people would feel comfortable before charging) for each month of the year. It would then be up to drivers to use the data say for February to estimate their range.

It would also be interesting to see real life range for other EVs

Hiltop Dave has already sent me 4 yrs worth of data for a 24kWh leaf that he has collated in a slightly different way but I should still be able to use it. If I hadn't set about collecting the range info specifically for 100% to 20% I would normally charge every night so if people are doing this it would still be alright to post this data just adding the extra info at the end ie ,100-30. I am a bit worried about using very short trip info though as I am not convinced that the %SOC display is actually linear with mileage. One day when I'm bored, and conditions permitting, I might drive at roughly constant speed for 100 miles and note the miles travelled per 10% SOC. Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi, Great thread, my e-nv200 panel van won't be delivered until Aug so very interesting range figures, i'm already planning my 200 mile journey to get my van home!. It would be interesting if you could add to the figures is the w/h per mile consumption if that's possible.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ok, I haven't got a clue how to put this in your fancy data collecting format folks, but I've just finished deliberately driving from 100% down to 20% so I can post in here. Have been looking forward to it.

Hyundai Kona Electric.
A few short trips of a few miles, with longer trips of 20 miles each way. Mostly town and single carriageway with varying speed limits.
Conditions mostly dry. Temps averaging probably high teens thanks to those few hot days we had in the UK.

I've done 256 miles!

Multiplying that by 1.25 to work out what I would have done if I'd run it to zero, that puts my range at 320 miles! Official range of the vehicle is 282 miles.

Chuffed.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
You should be chuffed. 64 kWh I guess. So the not really so fancy format which makes it easy to import into a spreadsheet is:

Car,kWh,average temp in deg C,code for driving style,miles travelled for 100% to 20% so your journey(s) data would be

Kona,64,18,2,256 where 2 = mixed driving which is what I do most of the time, 20 mile journeys on fast and slow A roads and short runs. Other codes are: 1 = motorway, 3 = city, 4 = sporty but there could be others. It has been discussed and I know many factors other than temperature do affect range but to include all of them will make the whole thing too complicated.

One of the reasons for asking for this type of information was to inform potential EV drivers of real world range for all the vehicles available so, so far Kona is way out ahead. Thanks for the info and if everyone added trip data at least once a month we might collate something very useful.

ETA -- I guessed at the temperature because I live in Colchester as well

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've been watching this thread for a while, but until I get a proper evse installed I can't really contribute much data, (on the granny lead at 1.7 KW charging takes a while!)
I can provide some input though, gom on the Kona64 is very good, on a long run starting of with about 60% I covered over 100 miles mainly M1 and A1M and arrived at Harrogate civic centre rapid with remaining range within 5 miles that estimated before I left.
On a more usual basis most days I leave with 79% having pre-heated travel 35 miles to work and 35 miles home, after which I have 58-60% remaining, so extrapolated range very similar to that of thetx. If you want a chunk of 35 miles for approximately 10% trips though I could probably log 10 a week for you.

21 - 40 of 96 Posts