Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
The comparison website for EV owners
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In light of today's news we've been thinking about what stands in the way between us right now and making the 2030 ban a reality.

We think the biggest barriers are:
  • Reducing the price of EVs
  • Improving EVs ranges
  • Developing the charging infrastructure
  • Changing drivers' mindsets

Interested to hear if you agree/disagree or what other barriers you think we need to overcome

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
IMO one of the biggest is the current car dealerships who have no interest in selling EVs.
Expect in dec 2029 dealerships to register 10s of thousands of ice cars and vans to keep them going for a year or more after the cutoff.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Many people just don't seem to embrace any form of change. So many of the arguments put up against EV ownership are factually incorrect and based on opinion rather than real world knowledge. No doubt there are plenty of issues that need addressing but with the pace of technological improvement and the will to deliver this the target in my view is achievable.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
119 Posts
Just read the reader comments in this article from the Daily Telegraph and you'll get a sense of the level of "Ludditism" out there...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Manufacturing 2 million battery packs per year might be an issue.

And battery recycling and disposal needs to be addressed.
But as the market increases, more companies will start to offer to replace battery packs with renewed ones.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
330 Posts
Another barrier: oil lobbies. Expect heavy, heavy pressure, getting more and more intense. Future governments will literally be swarmed by non-caring psychopaths whose only job it is to throw a greasy spanner in the green works. Big Oil will not go gently into the night.

·
Registered
5 Posts
1. The 30% of the UK housing stock that does not have off street parking.
How are they going to charge overnight.
Converting lamp posts into charging stations is pie in the sky given that these are only cabled to carry the lighting loads. It's a bit like someone suggesting you connect your cooker into the 5 amp lighting circuit.

2. For the 70% that does have off street parking how to get the power to them. The national grid may be OK in terms of power and transmission - but the local distribution network: - transformers, switchgear and local cabling certainly is not.

·
Registered
653 Posts
2. For the 70% that does have off street parking how to get the power to them. The national grid may be OK in terms of power and transmission - but the local distribution network: - transformers, switchgear and local cabling certainly is not.
They are already planning and installing upgrade plans, i talked to my DNO about this 2 years ago. It's their business, do you not think they are already aware of this for years, they just needed firm gov policies to flick the switch and get it done.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
330 Posts
Converting lamp posts into charging stations is pie in the sky given that these are only cabled to carry the lighting loads. It's a bit like someone suggesting you connect your cooker into the 5 amp lighting circuit.

Those problems are easily solved. 10 years is more than enough time, assuming there is true political will to make this happen. Intelligent grids with V2G could help the transition to 100% renewable. If this is done with vision and leadership. the UK may be far ahead of all of Europe by 2030.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Many people just don't seem to embrace any form of change.
Presumbly because for many their life's experience of government mandated change is that the result is worse or more inconvenient for them and that it is going to cost more, either directly to install/buy/run or indirectly through increased taxation of some form.

·
Registered
310 Posts
No. I was curious about this when I read about the trials of these street-lighting solutions, the DNO documents I found specified that the supply cables to street lights were sized far, far bigger - 25mm2, same as for a house. So potentially ample capacity for a 3 or 7kW charge point. Of course with so many street lights, many will be old and installed to historic standards, many won't meet those latest requirements, but there will still be a sizeable proportion which do, hence why those streetlighting charge point roll outs are progressing.

There's been a lot of studies into this, at the moment the view seems to be that there is, generally, sufficient capacity but it relies on smart charging to ensure that EV users are not all plugging in and charging at peak times. It needs to most of that additional demand shifting and spreading over-night to accommodate it, using the existing spare capacity.

·
Registered
383 Posts
If this is done with vision and leadership. the UK ...
I think I can see the problem here.. As to government being adept at technology I leave you with the phrase from John Crace's parliamentary sketch column tonight regarding the isolating Johnson appearing on a video link at PMQs - "I’ve seen more professionally shot hostage videos."

·
Registered
383 Posts
On the subject of the availability of charging my observations are that I recently paid around £4k to pave hard standing in front of my terrace house. Fortunately I didn't need the cost of a drop kerb as due to lack of much road maintenance in the last 30 years there isn't much of a kerb to drop..

But I'd also note, in the light of the potential of lamp post charging, that I'm retaining my electricity company shares. For all the improved appliance efficiencies and LED lighting it's not a declining market. As ever it's the regulatory regime for establishing responsibilities/payment methods etc. that needs establishing, and that worries me. The lack of universality in the broadband roll-out, for example, is not something we should repeat.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Sat behind most of those barriers is another wide reaching one 'governance and regulation' because a lot will depend on how quickly central and local government and various regulators and government departments get themselves into a position to support this.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Expect in dec 2029 dealerships to register 10s of thousands of ice cars and vans to keep them going for a year or more after the cutoff.
You mean like incandescent light bulbs? Sure,it happened but was a side event in the overall scheme of things. People will continue to use ICE on a decreasing basis for the following 30 years, but the numbers will reduce quickly.

Reactions: TomH

·
Registered
5,120 Posts

Agreed, but you are looking at this from the wrong end of the telescope.
This is a huge opportunity at historically low interest rates to build infrastructure and create jobs which will be hugely at need after this pandemic.
With autonomous driving less people will own vehicles so the need for distributed charging will be less than implied by current car ownership. Millennials will consume travel rather than owning their own car, and in say 30 years their attitude will be the majority and we'll be released from the tyranny of car ownership that gave travel liberty to the generations from the 1920s to the 1970s but now enslaves us.
FWIW worth I am a car enthusiast but recognise that the world has moved on.

·
Registered
212 Posts
On the subject of the availability of charging my observations are that I recently paid around £4k to pave hard standing in front of my terrace house. Fortunately I didn't need the cost of a drop kerb as due to lack of much road maintenance in the last 30 years there isn't much of a kerb to drop..
Ha! Right! I recently had mine paved too, for a similar eye watering cost.

I can’t for the life of me see how charging posts will be installed in enough residential streets to make overnight charging feasible for people who don’t have driveways. I don’t know, maybe they’ll achieve it in London and say “great, job done for the UK!” in typical style.

What they might be able to do with a lot more investment is put in a load of rapid charger hubs dotted all around the country. But how much will they cost? Ionity pricing? So then that means you have a 2-tier system... people who are lucky enough to have driveways will get cheap motoring, but people who don’t will pay through the nose. Maybe it’ll be good for keeping house prices high for those houses that have driveways.

You also end up with a 2-tier system of EVs on the used market. You’ll have some EVs who were owned by people who have driveways, that have relatively low battery degradation, and other EVs that will have done all their charging on 150kW rapid chargers with high battery degradation. The traditional car salesperson patter of “1 careful owner, little old lady who just drove it to the shops” will be replaced with “1 owner, who had their own driveway so hardly ever charged it on a rapid... honest!”

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
You mean like incandescent light bulbs?
Er No as the Low energy and then LED ones were a direct replacement, EV's have a different service and fueling requirement to ICE.
Dealerships will be advertising pre-registered cars, "get you a nice motor, V4 with turbo, none of this waiting to charge business and we can service it."

I can see it carrying on for a couple of years as the traditional dealerships go bankrupt slowly and those who embrace EV's take over.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
All of your EV objections are like the debunked "less light", "slower to start", "unnatural frequencies", "don't work with my dimmers", "don't work with my fittings" type of arguments. Whilst all had a degree of truth they are all now old hat, people have moved on and accepted the compromises all be it with some accomodation equivalent to the BMW i8 projecting a false V12 sound.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts