Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Still early days. These estimates of release dates could be way out. But there's one thing that certain, battery technology will improve over the coming years resulting in longer range BEVs.

I suppose it's like anything really in life, you can buy something today but it's soon old tech. If a 80 mile E-Golf suits your needs, get it!

My opinion personally is that the E-Golf is too expensive for what it is atm. Yes the LEAF isn't on par with it for quality. But it's certainly better value for money. Especially if you can get a fairly new Acenta with a 6.6 Kw OBC for around the £15k mark, which is certainly possible!

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I had a client who is a world leader in traction batteries and although improvements were being made, it was really to things like Charging, safety and maintenance. Essentially, the power improvements over 100 years were minimal. Not a day goes by when there isn't talking about the next great technology. Remember though, this is also much about spin to get further backing.

To go from 70 mile range to 180 is a seizmic, not incremental leap. We're not talking computer memory here, there are physical limitations. Is there a new technology to replace li-ion at a commercially viable price?

Personally, I suspect such increases are 8-10 years away. *

*Other opinions are available.

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
All of which puts me off massively from buying an 80 mile e-Golf in 2015... How would I ever sell it at a reasonable price?
You'd probably do better than 80 miles. The best way to hedge against unpredictable used demand, uncertain residual values and step changes in technology is to lease/PCP.

The e-Golf is a highly proficient design but it doesn't really deliver progress compared to the LEAF which has been around for a few years. Its range is a bit better, but for a hefty premium over LEAF.

If you can live with the range constraints of today's BEVs, the finances stack up pretty well. Especially if you can limit your exposure to risks like major component failures and depreciation.

·
Super Moderator
11,823 Posts
My opinion personally is that the E-Golf is too expensive for what it is atm.
I can make that argument for just about any VW sold in the UK. Recently looked at a VW California van sitting at our local dealer. MSRP was just over £53,000. Bit pricey considering there isn't a WC.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I think for now, its probably better to lease the eGolf rather than buy, If Tesla were really bringing a 200miles range Model 3 out in 2017 for around £30-£35k, I think the current eGolf would losses its value very rapidly !!!

The best golf now is the GTE.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts