Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These days I drive almost no miles. I mean, I regard it as almost none. I have a 4 mile commute that I could walk in less than an hour if I really needed to, and if it wasn't for the 80 mile family-visit trip I do once a fortnight (or longer) I probably would do just that and walk it.

Yet ... that still adds up to 6,000 miles. Plus the vey rare bits of shopping and an outing to a National Trust or such, I'm not particularly sociable so really next to no excess mileage above that, I can look to be doing about 7,000 a year at the moment.

For basically 'no miles a year' from my POV.

So my question of the hour .... why do people even bother to get a car if a 5,000 miles a year lease would cover their needs?

It's always struck me, and I feel it is as true now as when I said it in the age of 22kWh cars, if you do too few miles an EV is likely too expensive and not worth it, and if you do too many then an EV won't suit.

BEVs live in a range of 'golden miles', and as I have alluded to in other threads, not only on cost but also on CO2 grounds, right now this precise moment it makes more sense for me (personally) to stick with an efficient Euro 6 diesel. I'm not in that golden zone of miles that makes BEV a particularly sensible option.

I'm not wanting to debate the relative calculations, and for someone looking for a new car and in different circumstances they will have different needs and outcomes.

But the thrust of my thesis here is that anyone who only 'needs' 5k miles a year probably doesn't 'need' any miles at all.

I'd have said, these days with batteries as they are, if you are doing 12k to 15k miles a year, you'd be pretty dumb not to go for a BEV. 15k to 30k a BEV will pay in spades if it covers your particular mileage, or you probably could do with a PHEV to eek out the dino juice, or above 30k really it is an ICE for you. At 5k to 12k it will depend very much on your circumstances if you already have a car whether it makes sense to swap it out (like mine, short trips with occasional long, or regular 50 mile round trip commute?, ICE or BEV is usually fairly clear).

5k? Get a bike ....

Registered
Pretty much sums up my predicament Donald.
I'm presently driving both a PHEV and a BEV, but having split with the OH during the final lockdown and returning to live in a city centre there really is no need to own either vehicle as I have access to a Co-Wheels club car when needed and like to travel by train to access other towns and cities where my business is based. Over the next 6 months both leases will be coming to an end and I won't be looking to replace either.

The idea of getting yet another bike however, is hugely appealing 馃槀

Registered
The 28kWh Ioniq still stands out as a car that could be built and sold to you. 拢25k, virtually no service cost, small battery so fewer resources used yet capable of fast charging for longer journeys. Hyundai seem to have been fooled into the larger car is better scene, everyone demands a 200+ mile car, yet many people can manage with a smaller battery if only there was not such pressure for high spec cars.

Registered
拢21667 for 214 mile MG5 52kWh, 拢22699k for 250 mile MG5 61kWh (inc metallic paint via the Affinity scheme).

I suspect the c.拢40k 'long range' EV segment will be saturated pretty soon and MG will do very well indeed at least in sales to private owners.

Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
I don't use my 5k lease for commuting but still need a car for the household especially if you have kids. In fact I don't recall a year in the last 20 when I've ever done more than 5k.
It would never be practical outside of a town/city to rent by the day/hour and all the associated aggro with availability etc.
So it's part luxury, part necessity but at an average cost of around 拢240 pm(maintained), it isn't really expensive in the grand scheme of things. Many households spend similar amounts on phone contracts+TV subscriptions etc.
Sure it's more expensive than running a 10 year old diesel but the difference isn't as huge as you might think once maintenance and fuel and VED are considered. And you get to drive a new, smooth "clean" vehicle.
A 5k lease also encourages you not to make unnecessary trips etc, which is a good thing too.

Registered
Getting my Model 3 on a 5k lease simply because i want one.
I have 3 other cars, Leaf 30/40 and diesel focus so the M3 wont need to exceed 5k.( initially)
I do plan to offload one Leaf in next few months though and i have owned the Focus since 2003 will keep it till it drops but it has just passed its MOT again, it barely gets used now, i still could over the 4 year Lease exceed the 20k miles i reckon but would pay the excess or extend the allowance on it mid term.
The end game is to have just the M3 and a Leaf.

I think if people want a car on 5k lease thats fine, whether its worth it is indeed open to debate, it is worth it for me personally and i cannot wait till delivery next month.
I did the whole lease VS PCP thing to death in my head before hand.

Super Moderator
So my question of the hour .... why do people even bother to get a car if a 5,000 miles a year lease would cover their needs?
The i3 goes back in April. I am going to try not replacing it.

If I could rent an EV for the weekend, we could easily go down to one car. Hertz are now offering weekend rental packages, where you pay by month for use of an ICE car every weekend. Cost is about 拢200/month with basic insurace or 拢300/month with zero-excess insurance. It is offered in 20 cities, none of them nearby.

I could use on.to as an occasional fall back. I can get a Zoe ZE50 for 拢389/month. If I only need this a few times a year it would be a huge savings. I could also rent a compact ICE car from Hertz in Llandudno 拢100 / weekend + 拢14 train fare + several hours of my time.

Registered
VW eGolf
It鈥檚 kids for us too.

On our fourth lease car, just hopping from one good deal to another, initially I needed a car for work and it was a good way to get the car I liked. Then we had first child and still ran one car but it was good to have something modern and safe and reliable. Had second child and were doing nursery runs every day so went PHEV then BEV, mileage dropping each time as I moved to WFH (before covid!).

Used to rent a car for the few times a year we needed a second but when the convenient depot closed we bought an older petrol MPV to cover that and when we鈥檙e carrying bikes and camping stuff, or when family visit from overseas.

Kids are older and at school (which is closer) so walk/scoot/cycle unless it鈥檚 tipping down or we鈥檙e really late. Might lease again, but may just go down to the petrol MPV for a bit until I can afford a decent EV replacement.

I wouldn鈥檛 discourage anyone leasing a BEV on low miles, will be more good used cars about in a few years time.

Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
I鈥檓 currently looking at 5k leases. We have a Tesla, but my wife prefers her 15 year old fiat panda (size, simplicity, lack of pretension). Sadly that鈥檚 about to get quite expensive to own and also only does about 30mpg for the shortish urban trips it鈥檚 used for. A 5k lease on a Mini e or Fiat 500e would suit her really well. We鈥檝e got the Tesla for bigger journeys and our combined mileage is unlikely to exceed 15k per year.

It really is a case of spend on a 15 year old ICE car we鈥檙e really fond of, or get a small, short range, low miles ev. Environmentally it鈥檚 probably even stevens, and I know my wife will be annoyed by all the binging and bonging that any new car brings, so we might just leave it another year and think again.

Registered
Renault Zoe 50
I鈥檓 currently looking at 5k leases. We have a Tesla, but my wife prefers her 15 year old fiat panda (size, simplicity, lack of pretension). Sadly that鈥檚 about to get quite expensive to own and also only does about 30mpg for the shortish urban trips it鈥檚 used for. A 5k lease on a Mini e or Fiat 500e would suit her really well. We鈥檝e got the Tesla for bigger journeys and our combined mileage is unlikely to exceed 15k per year.

It really is a case of spend on a 15 year old ICE car we鈥檙e really fond of, or get a small, short range, low miles ev. Environmentally it鈥檚 probably even stevens, and I know my wife will be annoyed by all the binging and bonging that any new car brings, so we might just leave it another year and think again.
Get a Zoe and put it on silent mode.

No unwanted noises like those Korean cars. ;)

Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Get a Zoe and put it on silent mode.

No unwanted noises like those Korean cars. ;)
I didn鈥檛 know you could do that. That鈥檚 appealing. The Zoe makes so much sense. I just wish it was a bit funkier looking. If the new Renault 5 isn鈥檛 too far off we may wait for one of them.

Registered
Renault Zoe 50
I didn鈥檛 know you could do that. That鈥檚 appealing. The Zoe makes so much sense. I just wish it was a bit funkier looking. If the new Renault 5 isn鈥檛 too far off we may wait for one of them.
I thought you wanted a second hand one?

Super Moderator
The i3 doens't have a pedestrian warning sound. It is easy to park. It is surprisingly roomy for a small car. It is pricey though, even on a 5k lease.

Mazda MX-30 is a good option for anyone looking too lease a small short-range BEV. The interior is every bit as nice as our BMW and it is much less expensive. I've seen leases around 拢235/month on a 6+36 5,000mi/year lease.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts