Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read an article today talking about Mercedes and I read this quote "Mercedes says lithium-sulphur has the potential to double the energy density of a similar sized lithium-ion battery while halving the cost". Assuming that there is a breakthrough like this at some point in the future, here is a possible scenario:

It's 2023 and electric cars are now available costing 20,000 GBP with a range of 500 miles. For about 10,000 GBP you can get a smaller car with 250 miles range.

In this case, what would uptake be like then? What percentage of the market would they take? I imagine it would be pretty close to 100% of all new sales. Not 100%, but pretty close.

The other thing is - how would this change perceptions regarding charging? It seems to me that it would change everything, because there would be no need to worry about charging overnight. People could charge once every 2 or 3 weeks and rapids would hardly be used (because how often do you drive 500 miles in one day)? Come to think about it, I don't think I've driven that far in one day in my entire life.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
For most people IMO a 500 mile battery is a solution looking for a problem. I'd always choose a (real world) 250 mile battery and have a lighter/cheaper/roomier car.

And why would you want to go back to the "petrol station" model of filling up once every week or two? For one it would take 28 hours to fill the car even at 7kW so your car would be out of action for a whole day. And secondly why take the risk? What happens if you suddenly want to take a longish journey the day before your weekly charge.

The joy of electric motoring is that every morning the car has filled back up. I don't charge my car every night because I need to; I charge my car every night because that's objectively better than doing it once a week.

·
Registered
733 Posts
If they offered a 400 mile EV, I think it'd be amazing. I know Tesla can handle 300 odd and that is the perfect range.

I know charging would take longer, but in all honesty, it'd be like having splits of the battery, where if you only want to do 100 miles, then you could charge only that part of the battery, and so on and so forth.

By that point, rapid chargers will charge at much faster rates.

By that point, I also imagine home chargers could too, using batteries to store energy taken from the house (like Tesla's house energy storage), to deliver more rapid energy to the car when it is plugged in.
Then the electricity supply would again fill the batteries in the unit for the next charge, so 28 hours wouldn't be so bad if you consider that would just fill the batteries whilst you are busy doing other things.
Potentially it could also go back to the house if you wanted it to, i.e only wanted to use 30kwh of it.

That is the answer imo. I'd personally only charge when I needed to, if it could rapid charge at the house this way in the same space of time as one can now.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, charging speeds would also have to increase obviously. Chademo is going to 150 kw eventually. With enough power charging a big battery is like charging several small ones at the same time. Personally I would also go for 250 miles at lower cost, but I'm just thinking what might eventually be possible. If a new type of battery has double the energy density, the Teslas of tomorrow could have a range of 500 miles without increasing the size or weight of the battery.

·
Registered
991 Posts
If it`s true and not just BS,then it`s great news,don`t forget,electricity doesn`t weigh anything,so all you would need to do is just keep the pack topped off at maybe 80% and have a safer margin at the bottom,maybe with a manual reserve which needs switching over,like an old motor bike fuel tap,which would mean much longer battery life expectancy,also smaller packs would do the same job as what most folks are already living with,so town and short hop cars could be much cheaper and perform loads better.

Edited to add,

could be legitimate
Lithium–sulfur battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
317 Posts
I like the idea that you could revitalize an old EV with a new battery which would weight half as much but with the same performance. In 2023 you will probably be able to pick up an old Model S for £1000 on ebay ;)

I have no idea about battery technology, would a different chemistry battery require different electronics / software? I imagine it would.

J

·
Registered
74 Posts
It's great idea, but it doesn't work...

Id love to have a 250 mile range, it would cover 100% of my needs. But if im going to use that range I can't have my car out if action for a day to recharge not at the destination or at home

It's not just the capacity that is the issue, if we are talking batteries that big then every 7kw charger is almost pointless and there just isn't enough rapids to cope with the demand that this sort of car would create....

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
It's great idea, but it doesn't work...

Id love to have a 250 mile range, it would cover 100% of my needs. But if im going to use that range I can't have my car out if action for a day to recharge not at the destination or at home

It's not just the capacity that is the issue, if we are talking batteries that big then every 7kw charger is almost pointless and there just isn't enough rapids to cope with the demand that this sort of car would create....
Why does everything have to be "either/or".
Since most drivers will plug in when the vehicle is not in use, the majority of cars will have full tanks most of the time. That 'out of the blue' longer journey will not cause problems for the majority. With EV take up at high levels the number of rapid charge points will increase to meet the demand.
In the two and a half years that I have owned a LEAF the number of rapid chargers has kept up with the sales of new cars, and slower chargers are becoming much more common. No where near to the ideal, but the number of chargers is following demand.
If you stick to the fossil fuel idea of 'filling up when you go to the supermarket' you will have problems. The majority of EV owners top up whenever they are at a pump, of whatever size.

Quite simply the EV world is evolving quickly.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
also as soon as cars can go 180 miles between rapids instead of 50-60 you instantly cut out a fairly hefty proportion of people sat at a charger at any one time. As well as the obvious reduction you also eliminate an additional number of charges that wont be needed any more as the vast majority of journies (even return ones) can then be made with a single stop (or none at all)

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
When the cars have more range, there will be many more on the road, therefore more people charging at any one point in time, and there will be more chargers.

We will still need all the rapids we have and many, many more all at a higher output to cope with the larger batteries, as we don't all start at the same place!!!

For example, Porsche with their 800v, 400 mile car being charged in 15 minutes, or whatever the specs were (you get my drift).

Personally, I've only ever done around 10 journeys in my over 30 years of driving, that required me to drive 400 miles or more in one day. They were exhausting in an ice, you needed to ideally share the driving, and I was good for nothing the next day!

·
Registered
870 Posts
a NEDC range of 300 will be more than sufficient , that's equivalent to Manchester to Oxford and back without a recharge. any more would be like a 60Ltr tank on a car that only needs 40Ltr , you'd rarely run it dry or have it brim full , as you'd be dragging around 25-30Ltrs of pointless fuel weight . In this case why drag 220 odd additional Kg of Cells when 80% of the time they'll never be used , it'll make the car less efficient .

They would also need to address battery degradation & heating associated with rapid charging- .

·
One Life - Leaf It
430 Posts
I think the more relevant effects of having the lighter less expensive batteries would be:
  • City users can run an electric car even if they can't charge at home, because they just need to use a rapid charger or a work charger once a week.
  • We can have smaller lighter EVs at a price that beats ICE cars.
By that point we'll be past the tipping point into mass adoption, I hope.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,503 Posts
There are a lot of quite unadventurous thoughts towards the future of EVs.

IMHO the breakthrough will come when you can charge 100 miles in the time it takes to plug in, go into the shop, browse the newspapers and select some chocolate, standing the queue, pay for your electricity, come out and disconnect.

This makes any distance a viable possibility. Irrespective of battery size.

Fast charging is the solution, not large batteries.

200 miles is enough for pretty much everyone.

As for charging up every 2 or 3 weeks, even at 500 miles you're talking 20 miles a day. You should get a bike if that is all you do!

But seriously, in 2023 the inductive chargers in your drive or on the road will charge your car up. You'll never think about how many times you charge, it'll just happen.

Even if that is not a vision that comes about - jeez - it takes me 20 seconds to plug my car in. Why would I be bothered about doing that? It becomes second nature, and takes less time than going to fill with petrol.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
There are a lot of quite unadventurous thoughts towards the future of EVs.

IMHO the breakthrough will come when you can charge 100 miles in the time it takes to plug in, go into the shop, browse the newspapers and select some chocolate, standing the queue, pay for your electricity, come out and disconnect.

This makes any distance a viable possibility. Irrespective of battery size.

Fast charging is the solution, not large batteries.

200 miles is enough for pretty much everyone.

As for charging up every 2 or 3 weeks, even at 500 miles you're talking 20 miles a day. You should get a bike if that is all you do!

But seriously, in 2023 the inductive chargers in your drive or on the road will charge your car up. You'll never think about how many times you charge, it'll just happen.

Even if that is not a vision that comes about - jeez - it takes me 20 seconds to plug my car in. Why would I be bothered about doing that? It becomes second nature, and takes less time than going to fill with petrol.
I agree that charging speed and availability is the key.

I've owned various petrol cars with a range less than 300 miles per tank yet I never once wished that the tank was bigger or had range anxiety, even when driving around the remote bits of Scotland.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,984 Posts
Yup a genuine 200miles is nirvana for me. I don't tend to drive further than 200miles without a stop/break. So long as I can get a charge around that distance and within a reasonable time frame i'd be more than happy. I'd still charge once during the week, but I'd probably be able to skip the weekend charge I normally do.

My only prerequisite is that I can cover those 200miles at 70mph and not have to pooter along at 56mph. 65mph would be just about tolerable but 70mph would still be preferable.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Medium saloon car, 600+mi range, 5-10min recharge, 5 seats, 140mph top speed, sub 8.0s 0-60, reliable.
I don't think it will need that to get take up but if that happens the only gain for an ice is if you happen to like noise and sniffing fumes.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Yup a genuine 200miles is nirvana for me. I don't tend to drive further than 200miles without a stop/break. So long as I can get a charge around that distance and within a reasonable time frame i'd be more than happy. I'd still charge once during the week, but I'd probably be able to skip the weekend charge I normally do.

My only prerequisite is that I can cover those 200miles at 70mph and not have to pooter along at 56mph. 65mph would be just about tolerable but 70mph would still be preferable.
I would say 400 mile range. Not because it's likely to get used at that but more because people have an idea that it will. Also it would need to be able to do 200 (I genuinely do 250-300miles in a stint if I'm doing very long distance) with ease so it would need spare power for heating, rain, headwinds, heavy loads, towing, hills, redundancy, etc.
I think a possible 400 miles would work out to 200+ with plenty of wiggle room in any situation.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Medium saloon car, 600+mi range, 5-10min recharge, 5 seats, 140mph top speed, sub 8.0s 0-60, reliable.
I don't think it will need that to get take up but if that happens the only gain for an ice is if you happen to like noise and sniffing fumes.
that's got to be overkill given that most of us have willingly parted with a not inconsiderable amount of money for something with only around 15% of that range!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If batteries are also half the weight and half the cost then I don´t think the cost of "lugging around extra weight" would be significant. If nothing else changes about the car and if battery density doubles and the price halves as expected by Mercedes in 7 years the model S could have a range of 600 miles with the same price, same weight and same perforamance.

What I think is that people would plug the car in when it´s getting "low" but not every night. Say when it gets down to around 200 miles. Even for very long journeys you would probably not need to use any rapids, so I would say in a year you might only use a charger away from home once or twice a year. Some people could go for years without ever charging away from home.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,578 Posts
If you don't have off-street or allocated parking at home, and are unable to get charging at work... it matters a lot!

1 - 20 of 102 Posts