Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,503 Posts
Just huge problems here. If you wanted say 100kW output from your 2.7V inverter input, you'd have to find some 40,000A transistors to switch them with. hmmm.....

A similar problem if you are trying to maintain the voltage control on 2.7V caps in series - if you are trying to sink a few hundred amps you need some way to control and regulate a few hundred amps. It is not a dissimilar problem to serial battery cells, but I can see a higher likelihood of individual caps in series seeing higher voltages than other caps in series with them due to 'charge-pump' type behaviour in response to imperfectly filtered DC.

·
Conflicted Ecoworrier/Petrolhead
2,580 Posts
I've been thinking out of the box. If you wanted to make electromobility work for the masses at cheaper prices surely the best approach is an EV only drivetrain connected smallish say 20kWh battery and a REX to use liquid refuelling from existing infrastructure for long journeys. That could be petrol or diesel or something new.

The REX in the i3 is almost there but could do with about 35 to 40 kW instead of 25, just for those longer high speed runs. It also needs a bit more intelligence in the nav. My passenger in my Le Mans trip pointed out somethings that should be obvious. The REX is great and kept us chugging along but required a lot of knowledge how to get the best out of it. If you programmed a destination 400 miles away it shouldn't need you to wait to catch the 75% threshold but should kick in automatically. It needs to know shared info on whether chargers are operating, and the best fuel stop strathegy. ItIt needs to know what speed is best to cut journey times as distance traveled per unit of energy vs time to refuel. You most of all shouldn't need cards for different charge points which operate in different ways. Chip and pin works the same any where and the menus are broadly similar. Why not use existing known user interactions? Why did we need RFID when you could ID someone from a previously registered bank card even if you didn't want to bill them straight away... to save on transaction charges.

Food for thought.

As to the thread title. 500 miles without stopping is too much. What you really need is a car capable of doing 1000 miles with acceptable stoppage times that are equivalent or thereabouts to current dinosaurs.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
As to the thread title. 500 miles without stopping is too much. What you really need is a car capable of doing 1000 miles with acceptable stoppage times that are equivalent or thereabouts to current dinosaurs.
I also think 500 miles is more than a reasonable expectation but remember that's a total range. Take out some at the bottom for redundancy, some at the top because most of the time 80% charges are the norm, some for using the heater, some for headwinds, some for loading up, etc etc and in reality that's what you need to cover 200-250 miles in all conditions/scenario's.
I like the more powerful rex idea but if it's only 20kWh it's getting very close to the realms of PHEV's. Remember an engine that can make a solid 55hp all the time quietly and without drinking and with reasonable service intervals/costs will be a bit bigger, a bit heavier and everything that supports it would also have to be slightly more capable - hence slightly less efficient. I'm not saying that would be a terrible thing - I agree the current rex isn't quite powerful enough and that extra bit would probably make the difference. On the other hand if it still comes in at 75% on the 94ah, that would give it more time to keep the battery going so it's less likely to hit slowdown anyway. I would love to see one with a 100hp rex - something like an S1000 motor detuned for reliability/quietness should do the trick - but it would add a lot of cost, heat and a bit of weight.
Oh and it would need at least double the petrol tank to be reasonable.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I also think 500 miles is more than a reasonable expectation but remember that's a total range. Take out some at the bottom for redundancy, some at the top because most of the time 80% charges are the norm, some for using the heater, some for headwinds, some for loading up, etc etc and in reality that's what you need to cover 200-250 miles in all conditions/scenario's.
I like the more powerful rex idea but if it's only 20kWh it's getting very close to the realms of PHEV's. Remember an engine that can make a solid 55hp all the time quietly and without drinking and with reasonable service intervals/costs will be a bit bigger, a bit heavier and everything that supports it would also have to be slightly more capable - hence slightly less efficient. I'm not saying that would be a terrible thing - I agree the current rex isn't quite powerful enough and that extra bit would probably make the difference. On the other hand if it still comes in at 75% on the 94ah, that would give it more time to keep the battery going so it's less likely to hit slowdown anyway. I would love to see one with a 100hp rex - something like an S1000 motor detuned for reliability/quietness should do the trick - but it would add a lot of cost, heat and a bit of weight.
Oh and it would need at least double the petrol tank to be reasonable.
Or you could just build a simple ICE for petrol heads. Then concentrate on a family EV for family use with a 300 mile range.
It will be good advertising, with good incentives, that radically enlarges the EV market, not some PHEV. Good advertising has already convinced every woman over 20 that she has a leaky bladder and 'needs' absorbant panty liners. the same advertisers are working on convincing men that they 'need' a drip shield in their y-fronts.
So far the advertising for EV has been second rate and unfocussed, and yet it is still quite effective. Yesterday I was charging at Rownhams East bound. The two LEAFs that came in as I was charging were driven by women, the second one had a passenger who also owned a LEAF. The LEAF I saw driving in Romsey had a woman driver.
I would suggest that the emphasis for the near future at least needs to move away from extreme range and concentrate on 'userbility' locally. More school run , less motorway blast. More 'clean air' less 0-60. After all most private car purchase decisions are made by the woman in the house.
The 500/1000 mile EV will evolve in time , The need is for the uptake of the EV now by the masses, not the few who 'travel' for a living.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I would suggest that the emphasis for the near future at least needs to move away from extreme range and concentrate on 'userbility' locally. More school run , less motorway blast. More 'clean air' less 0-60. After all most private car purchase decisions are made by the woman in the house.
The 500/1000 mile EV will evolve in time , The need is for the uptake of the EV now by the masses, not the few who 'travel' for a living.
Thing is that would mean having to have at least two cars to cover all uses. A long range ev is a complete replacement for an ice in almost every way. It depends on chargers/etc but in reality 500+ miles would put them past the most extreme needs of almost everyone.
The current short range ev's like the Leaf are indeed brilliant for things like the school run or work if it's a reasonable commute. If it can't do every journey or can't be relied on to do every journey that relegates it instantly to nothing more than a second car.
There is currently no incentive to someone buying an ice to buy an ev aswell as. If you happen to have more than one car in the household anyway then it makes perfect sense but paying out on a second car you wouldn't otherwise need to do the school run is a bit past extravagant for a lot of people.
Now if it was buy a 330d and get a free i3 I'm sure it would be great but it's not like they're cheap.
I'm sure there is something in that if a costly car came with a discount on an ev. Say you buy an X-trail and they give you a Leaf at cost price (or the other way round) - it may well give a few people the nudge they need.
Of course if someone offered a 500 mile version of the Leaf at £15k I don't think they would sell many ice's any more.

·
Conflicted Ecoworrier/Petrolhead
2,580 Posts
If you took an i3 90Ah (30kWh), dropped the seat height by 4", ride height by 1" and roof height by 6", added 1 foot to the length front and rear, 20l to the fuel tank, 200cc to the motor (BMW make some nice 850cc lumps), 1 back seat and a tow hitch rated for 750kg you'd have my order tomorrow ;)

Reactions: Russ

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Thing is that would mean having to have at least two cars to cover all uses.
In my street every driveway has at least two cars, if you look at the many SpeakEV members the same applies. In the area where New private cars are purchased two cars are the norm, even where the prime car is the company car. Go look in any railway station car park, it is full of expensive long distance cars, then look at a Tesco CP and see how many runabouts are there, used by 'her indoors'.

·
Registered
8 Posts
For most people IMO a 500 mile battery is a solution looking for a problem. I'd always choose a (real world) 250 mile battery and have a lighter/cheaper/roomier car.

And why would you want to go back to the "petrol station" model of filling up once every week or two? For one it would take 28 hours to fill the car even at 7kW so your car would be out of action for a whole day. And secondly why take the risk? What happens if you suddenly want to take a longish journey the day before your weekly charge.

The joy of electric motoring is that every morning the car has filled back up. I don't charge my car every night because I need to; I charge my car every night because that's objectively better than doing it once a week.
I pretty much disagree: Speed was not mentioned most long journeys are motorway or high speed A roads. Everyone avoids saying excess speed for obvious correctness but fact is fact. Petrol ⛽ 300 - 400 miles EV that range at high speed perhaps not?. So all my gas guzzling buddies won’t even contemplate EV until they have to; not 2023, 2030 - 2040 perhaps.

·
Premium Member
17,667 Posts
I pretty much disagree: Speed was not mentioned most long journeys are motorway or high speed A roads. Everyone avoids saying excess speed for obvious correctness but fact is fact. Petrol ⛽ 300 - 400 miles EV that range at high speed perhaps not?. So all my gas guzzling buddies won’t even contemplate EV until they have to; not 2023, 2030 - 2040 perhaps.
I suspect we will have 500miles + range very soon.
Your buddies are rightly frightened off by EV car prices, not range.
Even now the range you get will suit 90% of people & the saving on running & service costs
is quite significant.
Tesla, Mercedes, Jaguar & Audi decided to go for top of the range cars first, and deliveries were
terrible from many.
Lack of commitment early on and limited battery supplies, and the hope that EV's were just a bad dream held
things back.
Without Tesla, and now pressure from Governments for a cleaner World, we would still be limping along
with car manufacturers going no further than hybrids!!
Now that VW and others are pushing the boat out, everyone is rushing to join this greener World!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,428 Posts
Why resurrect a thread from 2016????

Reactions: UniqueGeorge

·
Registered
537 Posts
Because after 5 years we still aren't at 500 miles? :oops:
Good, it would take between 8 to 10 hours to drive 500 in this country, utterly pointless target/ aspiration! Can't believe anyone with more than 2 brain cells to rub together sees the lack of a 500 single hop as anything other than a spurious argument made by ice refuseniks.
Can we put this thread back into cold storage as irrelevant now?

·
Banned
843 Posts
For most people IMO a 500 mile battery is a solution looking for a problem. I'd always choose a (real world) 250 mile battery and have a lighter/cheaper/roomier car.

And why would you want to go back to the "petrol station" model of filling up once every week or two? For one it would take 28 hours to fill the car even at 7kW so your car would be out of action for a whole day. And secondly why take the risk? What happens if you suddenly want to take a longish journey the day before your weekly charge.

The joy of electric motoring is that every morning the car has filled back up. I don't charge my car every night because I need to; I charge my car every night because that's objectively better than doing it once a week.
500 mile batteries are the solution to only one set of drivers, those that want to drive flat out everywhere, and especially when more than 25 miles from home. 90mph+ on motorways, dont care about fuel cost and need a big battery , fast charging as they will average under 2m / kwh in summer, probably low 1's (1.2 /1.3m kwh) in Winter.

Everyone just needs to slow down and chill out, for the planet. I want the lead footers hobbled, Only the Police / Emergency Services need this ability.

200- 250 miles winter range with 100kw+ CCS charging ability will be more than enough for me.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
500 mile batteries are the solution to only one set of drivers, those that want to drive flat out everywhere, and especially when more than 25 miles from home. 90mph+ on motorways, dont care about fuel cost and need a big battery , fast charging as they will average under 2m / kwh in summer, probably low 1's (1.2 /1.3m kwh) in Winter.

Everyone just needs to slow down and chill out, for the planet. I want the lead footers hobbled, Only the Police / Emergency Services need this ability.

200- 250 miles winter range with 100kw+ CCS charging ability will be more than enough for me.
Agree folks need to chill out, but back of a *** packet says 200 miles winter = 500 miles summer, and I don't think the OP was referring to 1250miles summer/500 miles winter? With current tech that's just silly, although the OP did refer to new battery tech that is not yet commercial.

Having sad that, I agree with you. My Zoe is 180 summer/120 winter range in my real world and the 120 isn't quite enough. 180 winter would do me fine, so about 240 summer real-world or maybe 300 WLTP. Is that what the e-Niro already can do?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Agree folks need to chill out, but back of a *** packet says 200 miles winter = 500 miles summer, and I don't think the OP was referring to 1250miles summer/500 miles winter? With current tech that's just silly, although the OP did refer to new battery tech that is not yet commercial.

Having sad that, I agree with you. My Zoe is 180 summer/120 winter range in my real world and the 120 isn't quite enough. 180 winter would do me fine, so about 240 summer real-world or maybe 300 WLTP. Is that what the e-Niro already can do?
I’ve had 312 out of my Soul. Normally, summer it will do 270-290. Worst part of winter I was down to 220-240. That’s real not GOM. The Niro is almost identical I think.

It’s enough.

A bit more would be nice so I can cruise at err 70 harrumph..... - let someone be honest 75-80 is flow of traffic on the motorway. If I do 80 (in Germany of course) range falls like a stone - probably 170 or so, it’s dramatic - so that’s where a larger battery would be nice.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Jam tomorrow....
On EV database - All of the first 8 cars have real world range listed with a max number >500 miles (if you sort by longest range). To be clear it's in almost all cases these are expected for city driving in mild weather. Also to be clear all 8 are not yet available... several are in 2022, but many expected to be available this year.

Forthcoming Model S long range is 9th on the list with minimum 250 (highway -10C) upto 490 miles range (city mild weather).

"" *Indication of real-world range in several situations. Cold weather: 'worst-case' based on -10°C and use of heating. Mild weather: 'best-case' based on 23°C and no use of A/C. The actual range will depend on speed, style of driving, weather and route conditions.""

·
Registered
519 Posts
The materials batteries are made of are currently in shortish supply far better smaller batteries until something better for batteries comes along, but what do I know :rolleyes:

81 - 100 of 102 Posts