Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to an annoying puncture scenario I have decided to get a full size spare wheel. Now the thing is the Zoe uses these daft TPMS valves rather than wheel sensors.

So is it best to not have one in the spare and will the car continue to drive ok with the spare on but with no sensor on it? It will whinge but will it decide to stop the car from starting or driving normally with a sensor missing/insisting it's punctured. If there is a temp repair on the punctured tyre and it's the right pressure this may of course fool it anyway...

Or is the best plan to fit the new spare with a sensor but not programme it to the car and assume it won't pick it up the next time I save tyre pressures or will it just ignore a non programmed one and there is an extra hoop to jump through to get it programmed to the car or does it cross references wheel sensor information to decide whether the wheel is on the car?

Spare wheel will be fitted with another cross climate of the same specification to save hassle over mismatched tyres.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Spare wheels are supposed to be used for the shortest period possible.
Why not using a smaller space saver? You will only need it until you repair/replace the tyre and it will save you the weight.
I'm considering it for my Leaf and will get an alloy instead a steel one for that reason.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't want a space saver wheel that will be limited on speed and duration of use plus if I crack an alloy on a pothole then I already have a replacement wheel handy. I won't have to wait days to get one while being stuck with some awful space saver.

Full wheel doesn't weigh that much. Kerb weight of a Zoe is considerable so the weight of the wheel is nothing.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,032 Posts
I get the impression from the other thread that a space saver will actually fit in place of that repair kit? Probably be enough for me as it'd only be for emergencies out in the sticks without a mobile signal. Limp to a signal area and call assistance or limp to tyre shop...

Far as I've heard it'll whinge mightily but still move

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked under the boot carpet and didn't think it would fit even a space saver. It seems to be too small a diameter to fit the same rolling radius of wheel needed. Probably too shallow as well.

I'll just put the tyre on and forget the TPMS valve for now. Having a spare wheel guarantees I'll never need it!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Spare wheels are supposed to be used for the shortest period possible.
Why not using a smaller space saver? You will only need it until you repair/replace the tyre and it will save you the weight.
I'm considering it for my Leaf and will get an alloy instead a steel one for that reason.
Can you absolutely guarantee that you'd never have to drive more than 50 miles before you can get the tyre replaced/repaired at a reasonable price ?
And check the weight of replacement wheels before you buy ! The full size steel wheel with tyre to match oe actually weighs a little less than the alloys originally fitted.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Can you absolutely guarantee that you'd never have to drive more than 50 miles before you can get the tyre replaced/repaired at a reasonable price ?
And check the weight of replacement wheels before you buy ! The full size steel wheel with tyre to match oe actually weighs a little less than the alloys originally fitted.
If you are willing to drive around with a flat tyre in the boot looking to save a couple quid then no I can't.
If, like me, you will be looking for a garage to fix the puncture or replace the tyre as soon as possible then I bet you that you will find one within 10 miles radius unless you're driving out of hours obviously.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,032 Posts
Main reason I'd consider a full size one is to give time for them to find the correct tyre if it's not repairable. When going to a tyre shop in an emergency you get what you're given, which would be frustrating if you had 4x cross climates on like I do (they're rarely in stock, if ever - same probably goes for the factory fitted E-V model). With a full size wheel on you can go about your business until they have one (or a pair) in stock, whereas a space saver is really just for emergencies, to get you there if out in the middle of nowhere with no signal to call assistance out.

However, it's like £150-200 for a proper wheel and decent tyre vs. £20-30 for a space saver so it'd take a couple of instances of "just throw a budget on to get me going and I'll swap it out when a good one is in stock" to justify a full size one on those grounds. And personally I like having room in the boot for other things :)

Suppose it depends how vital your car is. To me, it's a massive pain being without it but I can manage, much like a few weeks ago when I got a puncture and kept it inflated long enough to limp the mile to the tyre place and leave it sat there over the weekend.

Maybe the repair kit is actually suitable in that kind of situation, just seems there's always a risk of it not working.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Try having a puncture on a saturday afternoon when most of the tyre places are shut. You are then stuck until Monday at the earliest. With a spare wheel you are sorted in the time it takes to get the old wheel off and the new one on.

If you have an unrepairable puncture then there is no driving around looking for a tyre place.

The puncture I had left a huge screw sticking out the edge. The tyre itself was crazed and clearly damaged too much. That was from driving a few hundred yards to turn back home after the tyre warning came on.

IMG_0066.jpg IMG_0065.jpg

·
Registered
791 Posts
Main reason I'd consider a full size one is to give time for them to find the correct tyre if it's not repairable. When going to a tyre shop in an emergency you get what you're given, which would be frustrating if you had 4x cross climates on like I do (they're rarely in stock, if ever - same probably goes for the factory fitted E-V model). With a full size wheel on you can go about your business until they have one (or a pair) in stock, whereas a space saver is really just for emergencies, to get you there if out in the middle of nowhere with no signal to call assistance out.

However, it's like £150-200 for a proper wheel and decent tyre vs. £20-30 for a space saver so it'd take a couple of instances of "just throw a budget on to get me going and I'll swap it out when a good one is in stock" to justify a full size one on those grounds. And personally I like having room in the boot for other things :)

Suppose it depends how vital your car is. To me, it's a massive pain being without it but I can manage, much like a few weeks ago when I got a puncture and kept it inflated long enough to limp the mile to the tyre place and leave it sat there over the weekend.
I wonder where you get a space saver kit for £30...
The one that fits the Leaf costs £199, don't forget you will need the jack and the wrench.
Anyhow, if you are so depending on your car that you can't afford to be without it for a day or 2 the alternative would be to ask the garage for a courtesy car or have a puncture repair kit and buy a spare full size tyre and carry it in the car, like that if you need to replace the tyre you already have one.
So your safest plan would be:
1 space saver wheel with tyre
1 jack
1 wrench
1 puncture repair kit (you can get this online for less than £20)
the car compressor
1 spare full size tyre (or as many as you want to feel safe but that sounds a bit ridiculous...)

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,032 Posts
I wonder where you get a space saver kit for £30...
According to this thread: https://www.speakev.com/threads/zoe-jacking-points.102609/page-2
Quite easily by searching eBay for "4x100 space saver"
Example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLKSWAGEN-POLO-GOLF-CADDY-LUPO-JETTA-14-SPACE-SAVER-SPARE-WHEEL-4x100/152201682592?hash=item236fed5ea0:g:TXgAAMXQlUNRSH-h
Edit: Bad example as that one's for factory fitted 14" only but you get the idea
How about https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-Scenic-03-07-Space-Saver-Spare-Wheel-16-Inch-4X100-ET49-6-5J-205-55-16/19314553491

don't forget you will need the jack and the wrench.
Which you'd need whether you got full size or space saver.

Searching other threads on the subject though it doesn't sound to me like the boot well where the repair kit is, is big enough for a wheel. Probably misunderstood the comment in the above thread. Doing also more searching, it looks like to be legal you need either the same size (i.e. 16", not 'get a 15" and treat it as an emergency spare') or a space saver with the appropriate speed limit label stuck to it. This could be another urban myth of course, without looking up the appropriate laws.

I dunno, maybe the repair kit will do. It'd take some dumb luck to get the 1 out of 5 punctures that it can't repair AND have no mobile signal, just really thinking in terms of "knowing my luck"..!

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Zoe has the goo repair kit and a compressor in the spare wheel well in the boot. That well looks small. I haven't been bothered to measure it. I probably should!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Just to be clear.
When I refer to a repair kit this is what I mean:

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,032 Posts
Yeah I keep meaning to measure the well but it sounds like it's nowhere near big enough. Re-reading the other thread, not sure where I got the impression it was. On the internet, people don't usually correct misinformation until they feel there's a debate to be won ;)

There's been some amazing stuff spouted over the years. "Don't jack it in one corner as you'll twist the car", says one thread.

·
Registered
666 Posts
If you are willing to drive around with a flat tyre in the boot looking to save a couple quid then no I can't.
If, like me, you will be looking for a garage to fix the puncture or replace the tyre as soon as possible then I bet you that you will find one within 10 miles radius unless you're driving out of hours obviously.
And equally 'obviously' , husoi never drives anywhere except during those hours when he/she is certain of finding a tyre dealer nearby and open !

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yeah I keep meaning to measure the well but it sounds like it's nowhere near big enough.
That's a point I've always found particularly annoying ! The toy wheels are always described as 'space savers' but they save very little space (often none at all) and if indeed they have saved any space, what are you supposed to do with the original tyre until you can get it repaired/replaced ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts