Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished watching Chris from Battery Life on YouTube drive a P45 at ~130km/h in the driving rain.
He managed 222kw which if you convert it all shakes out 130miles at 80mph or there abouts.

Also he couldn't see a thing out of the rear window.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Watched some of it too. Unfortunately with that weather it is very hard to compare against personal experience with the Tesla - so much surface water, the Ioniq was aquaplaning at one point (but "not a problem with a heavier car").

Charging peaked around 222kW at 30%, range was calculated at 232km.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Like nobody believed me when I said that "aerodymanics will NOT keep the rear window clear of rain" This is marketing BS ad have had other cars with exactly the same claims which were also BS.

The rear window of the Ioniq 5 on the freeway in this video was full of rain water with almost zero visibility! Was not being cleared by aerodymanics...
Also after it has rained over night for example, you go to flick the rear wash wipe to clear the rear screen of rain water and realise there is not one and you cannot see a thing. Any cameras are often similarly affected unless heated.Driving at urban speeds never created enough airflow to clear the rear window either. Using the rear demister will eventually work but will take longer than the 1 second it would take with a proper and should come as standard for safety rear wiper.

·
Registered
102 Posts
That range is quite frankly appalling. Rain or not. Not using 4wd either. I can’t express how disappointing this is for a ground up electric car. I’m shocked. P45 deposit refund requested.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Think I will do the same but just waiting for a milder weather range test. The weather for this test was 12 degC and very rainy. If in to a headwind then range would be appalling BUT I feel i am being kind…..
If another milder range test is similarly poor I will cancel also.
This is looking more and more like a marketing led exercise of over promising and under delivering.
My patience is wearing a little thin..

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the link, I wonder what their speed limits are. The car used there seems like it's not the P45 spec as it's on 19" wheels.

Given the figures that Chris ended up with he calculated the battery at 68.7kW useable !

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,360 Posts
I drove to Scotland once in the old Mondy diesel. Driving rain, strong wind, averaged under 30mpg in a car that usually returned 56. I wasn’t doing 80. I thought I had enough fuel to get there with plenty to spare but had to stop and fill up.

If you drive any car in those conditions it’s going to use more energy than you might expect and this extra energy required hits EV range harder than a petrol or diesel.

Also, we know the physics. It takes much more energy to do 70 than 60. Considerably more again to do 80. Then add the conditions.

Hyundai are proven to be good at making EVs. They aren’t literal wizards. There’s nothing wrong with the car, other than it needs a rear wiper, and I think it performs really well to be honest.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,900 Posts
Part of me thinks that it didn’t do that badly, given the high speed and the conditions?

It’s a heavy 300bhp+ AWD EV, being driven in heavy rain at 80mph, so I think represents a reasonable worst case scenario. That said, it was still relatively warm at 12-13c, which would be around what we have here in the U.K. a fair bit.

2.18 miles per kWh does sound pretty bad, but I’m sure at more ‘normal’ speeds it will be a lot better than that.

I quite like the look of it, but it definitely needs a rear wiper, that would drive me mad.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
There is a Norwegian Motor magazine comparison test where the Ioniq 5 performs OK. Use Google translate on this link

So in this ‘economy run’ it got 4.4 miles per kWh, for comparison the ID.3 got 4.7. The fabled Kona got over 5!

The ID.3 gets a kicking on here for its lack of efficiency, especially in the cold, but I think this test shows the Hyundai will be competitive.

We now know it will return somewhere between 2.18 and 4.4 miles per kWh at least! 😁

I think the sooner we get back to buying ‘cars’ rather than ‘efficiency’, we’ll all be a lot happier…

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,863 Posts
So in this ‘economy run’ it got 4.4 miles per kWh, for comparison the ID.3 got 4.7. The fabled Kona got over 5!

The ID.3 gets a kicking on here for its lack of efficiency, especially in the cold, but I think this test shows the Hyundai will be competitive.

We now know it will return somewhere between 2.18 and 4.4 miles per kWh at least!

I think the sooner we get back to buying ‘cars’ rather than ‘efficiency’, we’ll all be a lot happier…
It makes me feel slightly better, not sure many other people are that bothered.

The new Hyundai/Kia cars are a lot bigger cars though. More comparable with the ID4? That will make them all very similar for efficiency.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
It makes me feel slightly better, not sure many other people are that bothered.

The new Hyundai/Kia cars are a lot bigger cars though. More comparable with the ID4? That will make them all very similar for efficiency.
In that Norway test linked above, the ID.4 achieved 4.28 miles per kWh.

Probably nothing wrong with the efficiency of the Ioniq 5 in reality, I can’t see how they’d get it that wrong.

Battery Life’s test will be proven to be an outlier I think.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Must admit I was a little disappointed with the results from his test, BUT I still think that at UK speeds it will be OK, The rear wiper thing seems to be a KIA/Hyundai thing (My current Stinger has no rear wiper) and they said that it will be cleared at speed (It Doesn't) I tend to use Rain X or similar products (really needs a rear wiper though) so for me not a big deal. I tend to use the rear camera view on the Stinger if rear window obscured - can also do that on the Hyundai.

Bottom line, this has not changed my mind about getting the car as for MY circumstances it still ticks a lot of the boxes.........

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,310 Posts
I don’t think we know if he was driving into a headwind. Many people (including semi-pro/pro reviewers like him and Bjørn often just seem to almost ignore the effect of wind).

(I drove the Kona at 68mph in similar conditions to what he experienced (similar temp and heavy rain, but with a head wind of between 10-20 mph) and got 2.8mi/kWh)

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
I don’t think we know if he was driving into a headwind. Many people (including semi-pro/pro reviewers like him and Bjørn often just seem to almost ignore the effect of wind).

(I drove the Kona at 68mph in similar conditions to what he experienced (similar temp and heavy rain, but with a head wind of between 10-20 mph) and got 2.8mi/kWh)
I think that the logic of running out and back again on test is meant to account for head or tail wind variation, but of course doesn’t tackle side winds. I think the latter is in the ‘too difficult to do box’ for most YT reviewers.

It’s just a guide isn’t it, everybody will get different numbers depending on where and how they’re driving, even before weather and temps sticks its oar in.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,310 Posts
I think that the logic of running out and back again on test is meant to account for head or tail wind variation, but of course doesn’t tackle side winds. I think the latter is in the ‘too difficult to do box’ for most YT reviewers.

It’s just a guide isn’t it, everybody will get different numbers depending on where and how they’re driving, even before weather and temps sticks its oar in.
Yeah normally the A-B-A method will mostly even things out, at least on shortish trips - but when they do the trips taking 6+ hours one way and then 6+ hours back there’s quite a large window there for the wind to have changed quite significantly.

There’re a few videos (can’t recall who it was) where I’m sure I’ve seen them look at the Windy app and caveat results accordingly.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Like nobody believed me when I said that "aerodymanics will NOT keep the rear window clear of rain" This is marketing BS ad have had other cars with exactly the same claims which were also BS.

The rear window of the Ioniq 5 on the freeway in this video was full of rain water with almost zero visibility! Was not being cleared by aerodymanics...
Also after it has rained over night for example, you go to flick the rear wash wipe to clear the rear screen of rain water and realise there is not one and you cannot see a thing. Any cameras are often similarly affected unless heated.Driving at urban speeds never created enough airflow to clear the rear window either. Using the rear demister will eventually work but will take longer than the 1 second it would take with a proper and should come as standard for safety rear wiper.
I've never understood this thinking in 90% of saloon cars either - never yet had a car without a rear wiper where you can actually see out properly in poor conditions (even if the aero theory worked the car will sit at times and accumulate dirt from the rain). It's a terrible design choice. They could easily have fixed this on a premium EV like the Ioniq 5 with a rear view mirror camera (a'la Honda E). I'm kinda glad it looks like it's going to be well out of my lease bracket at the moment as it was the first EV I've been really excited about. ID3 it'll be next at this rate! :)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts