Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Just watched another YT review in translated German and it is not looking good. Another rainy autobahn test though. A 130kmh run but obvious speed restrictions here and there and down to 80-90 kmh in places.

244km covered which is 151.8 miles run down to 1% battery capacity.
22.5kWh/100km which calculates I believe to 2.76 mi/kWh.

More worrying his dB test was not that impressive. A mid table result in comparison with other contemporary and recently reviewed EVs.

Don't think it was the P45 edition either so no 20" wheels or solar panels on the roof which will only be worse in the efficiency stakes I reckon.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
If it's the video I'm thinking of then the car was the 58kW version I think. Not sure if that makes much difference to the figures

·
Registered
482 Posts
If Battery Life's estimation that the larger battery Ioniq is closer to 68 kWh then not a lot.

Just waiting for a Bjorn range test or similar. In non rainy weather preferably.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,092 Posts
It can’t be that hard for more of these YouTubers to rope in a mate or just a random volunteer to drive, say, a Kona on the same route, on the same day, at the same time, and at the same speed as the Ioniq 5 is being driven.

Not a 'race' - just a test of different cars in the same conditions.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,849 Posts
Just watched another YT review in translated German and it is not looking good. Another rainy autobahn test though. A 130kmh run but obvious speed restrictions here and there and down to 80-90 kmh in places.

More worrying his dB test was not that impressive. A mid table result in comparison with other contemporary and recently reviewed EVs.

Don't think it was the P45 edition either so no 20" wheels or solar panels on the roof which will only be worse in the efficiency stakes I reckon.
That's not surprising, I drove home at an average speed of 70mph in the ID3 and the average efficiency was 2.9mi/kWh. That's in the dry on a warm summers evening.
Most of the time I was at 75 and it really knocks the efficiency figures.

Averaged 50mph with a mix of speeds and I got 3.9 mi/kWh last weekend.
Keep it under 60mph and it'll be over 4.

Driving carefully on A roads I can average 5mi/kWh.

I keep comparing my ID3 to my e-Golf, the Golf is more efficient and much easier to drive efficiently. Looks like it will be the same between the Hyundai/Kia cars, with the Kona being much smaller, and I assume lighter. I won't be at all surprised if new owners are comparing them back to their Konas, and moaning like I have been with my Golf - ID.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,801 Posts
Wind direction is the (not always) silent killer of range. I took the Soul on a trip into wind that I usually did in one charge not only I had to stop for a top up it got stronger and I had to stop twice!

Can wind halve your range? You betcha. Deposit refunds might be premature.

·
29,801 Posts
I've never understood this thinking in 90% of saloon cars either - never yet had a car without a rear wiper where you can actually see out properly in poor conditions
I think it depends very much on the car.

My Vecra B was always clean windowed, so much so that I actually chose to remove the rear wiper because (a) never used, (b) wiper degraded and it's a fail at MoT if fitted.

Similarly the Fluence did not have a wiper and never needed it.

Different cars are, errr... different.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm still getting the car regardless of Chris's video, I think that people forget this is a Big Heavy car and if you drive it at 80mph in weather like he had the range is going to be bad, driving at 60 to 70 will be more efficient, and don't forget how quick this car charges, a quick stop and top up can add quite a bit of range on a 350kwh charger. Now that Gridserve have bought out Ecotricity Electric Highway things can only get better. I for one cannot wait to get mine........

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Another video... 2WD Long range... normal driving, getting around 14km/kWh, which isn't too bad.

·
29,801 Posts
Even I might struggle to get that! (I could average 12km/kWh in the Zoe, but that was raggy edge of possible.)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I still don't understand the love for all these varied measurement stats - surely m/kWh (or km/kWh) makes most sense? Same principle as MPG everyone knows and very easy to figure out likely range based on your battery size and current consumption. The kWh/100km figure favoured in mainland Europe just seems a bit awkward to me. :\

·
Registered
184 Posts
What is it with these Youtubers - Can't seem to park the car in a parking space, better start learning to park badly for when I get my car :D

21 - 37 of 37 Posts