Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

741 - 760 of 834 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
To be honest id be running it down a few times and rapid charging it to a high % and see if that helps as that's a mighty low amount of rapids you've got compared to slow charges, albeit I know full well a slow charge could only be a few % but still count
I'd expect small deviation.. This seems larger than expected drop for 10k miles.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
True but I'm aiming to keep a 1/10 rapid ratio as from the ones I've seen that or higher seems best, especially as I charge almost nightly now at 15amps and my commute alone has me down to 70-80% by 8am

·
Registered
48 Posts
True but I'm aiming to keep a 1/10 rapid ratio as from the ones I've seen that or higher seems best, especially as I charge almost nightly now at 15amps and my commute alone has me down to 70-80% by 8am
Mostly our slow charges have been on timer so double counted. True count is probably around 450ish. Anyway I drove around from 31% to turtle which took 34miles and then ran stationary till air con shut down and have recharged to full. The result.......worse by 0.02% on SOH or no change I guess you could say.

The odd thing was how far the bottom 30% lasts on mixture of 30-60mph roads. Ultimately range is not an issue as we bought the car knowing it never needs to complete more than 45 miles on any journey. It irks me that we are really looking after the battery yet it is dropping pretty quick. Perhaps if the dealer kept it at 100% for the first year the damage does not end when treated differently by us and it will continue to degrade more quickly

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Mostly our slow charges have been on timer so double counted. True count is probably around 450ish. Anyway I drove around from 31% to turtle which took 34miles and then ran stationary till air con shut down and have recharged to full. The result.......worse by 0.02% on SOH or no change I guess you could say.

The odd thing was how far the bottom 30% lasts on mixture of 30-60mph roads. Ultimately range is not an issue as we bought the car knowing it never needs to complete more than 45 miles on any journey. It irks me that we are really looking after the battery yet it is dropping pretty quick. Perhaps if the dealer kept it at 100% for the first year the damage does not end when treated differently by us and it will continue to degrade more quickly
Leaf30 hasn't encountered any noticeable drop in SoH in the 8 month / 11k mile ownership period.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,868 Posts

You'll need to do a few and ideally with a warm and not hot battery to notice anything from what I've seen :(

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
View attachment 120744

Gen 1.5 UK built LEAF. May 2013 registered.

Think I'll be giving @Mike Schooling 's Indra a ring soon the way things are going lately 😂😂😂
Jeepers, you basically have a 12kwh usable battery pack!

You most certainly need to stop.charging it all the way up and hammer the battery for a week or two with some high drain driving and then rapid charging as that's had far too many slow charges as a ratio.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Jeepers, you basically have a 12kwh usable battery pack!

You most certainly need to stop.charging it all the way up and hammer the battery for a week or two with some high drain driving and then rapid charging as that's had far too many slow charges as a ratio.
Yeah around 14kWh.

Your right I do not do very much rapid charging at all due to my usage profile. The car does get driven hard as I have a charger at home and work so range does not bother me.

I'm not convinced about the battery stats on the LEAF if I'm honest. I'm tempted if I have a spare weekend to get indra to reset the battery stats (I think it's possible) to start from afresh. Carry out 10+ rapid chargers one weekend and see where the battery stats settle back to. I'm no expert but I think the car is guessing the SOH. I just think it needs a reset of some kind and a recalibration of the battery SOH.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Is this good? (Leaf24 64plate in uk)
View attachment 120756
Are we still saying 2.5% loss per year on uk 24kwh leafs?
Yeah about where my car was at at similar age and mileage.

I have noticed my battery health has severely dropped around the 6 year mark of the car and around 75k miles.

So much for everyone saying that battery degredation slows down with age. With mine it has increased considerably with age.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hi Dean,

have you checked with leafspy the battery abd cell data at the low end of state of charge, to try ti identify your "worst" or most worn cells.
You may find that you only have maybe 2 or 3 cells that are dragging the whole pack down, and by changing only those cells, you could increase dramatically the whole battery capacity, after all, the battery is only as good as the worst cell.
Any chance you could run the car to turtle then screenshot the battery data?

Anthony. (i`m pretty close to you too, in Aberdare.)

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Hi Dean,

have you checked with leafspy the battery abd cell data at the low end of state of charge, to try ti identify your "worst" or most worn cells.
You may find that you only have maybe 2 or 3 cells that are dragging the whole pack down, and by changing only those cells, you could increase dramatically the whole battery capacity, after all, the battery is only as good as the worst cell.
Any chance you could run the car to turtle then screenshot the battery data?

Anthony. (i`m pretty close to you too, in Aberdare.)
Your not far at all from me 20mins or so.

Yeah I'll do it some time this week. 100% to turtle and give you guys an idea of range and the lowest voltage cell(s) etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Have you had the BMS update?
Yes been done and it degraded worst after that. Due to new settings in bms! Better keep your original bms settings!

That pack is toasted! What was it like before it hit 100000 miles?

I've been told it was bad too before 100k... not that bad obviously.

I replaced it with a 24kwh pack sourced from a 2014 Leaf salvaged with 58000 miles. Which lost it's first bar this week when would be in it's 61000 miles. However it still drives 75 miles per charge and pack seems very well balanced between 9% and 100%.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Was it not better to take out the defective cells in the 30kwh pack instead?

Or just easier to swap out whole pack and BMS and sell on old ones?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Yes been done and it degraded worst after that. Due to new settings in bms! Better keep your original bms settings!

I've been told it was bad too before 100k... not that bad obviously.

I replaced it with a 24kwh pack sourced from a 2014 Leaf salvaged with 58000 miles. Which lost it's first bar this week when would be in it's 61000 miles. However it still drives 75 miles per charge and pack seems very well balanced between 9% and 100%.
You swapped 30kWh pack cells with those from 24kWh?

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

·
Registered
5 Posts
With a bit of playing this evening, I’ve put this chart together to get an idea of my degradation profile. It isn’t great. Nissan have it back in for the 4th time tomorrow but are convinced the BNS update has been successful. Who knows, depending on what SOH it drops down to 8 bars I might actually get a new battery, although Nissan only guarantee to return battery health to 9 bars!

Bit fed up with the battery, but the car has been great as a whole. No desperate reason to get rid of it so we’ll see what happens.
B0477AAC-24B1-435D-9742-26CA37C37B3F.png

741 - 760 of 834 Posts