Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

841 - 860 of 874 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Mike - it's very helpful.
So my 2011 leaf - is now at 16Kwh I reckon, and at 0.4 Kwh/Mile, I'm at 40 miles range.
I can do better than 0.4Kwh/mile in summer on constant trip, but on winter short trips, it feels about right.
It's what I expected, and it doesn't make any difference to daily city use at all.
What I hadn't really factored in was that DC charging would also be slower, as a result of lower battery capacity. I've rarely DC charged, but last one was at 25Kw, and throttled back quickly too.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
A question for ye learned folk.
A November 2014 Leaf 24 kw with ONLY 17,000 miles on the clock - what would ye expect the battery status if health (in %) to be today?
i'll go 86-93%

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Thanks Mike - it's very helpful.
So my 2011 leaf - is now at 16Kwh I reckon, and at 0.4 Kwh/Mile, I'm at 40 miles range.
I can do better than 0.4Kwh/mile in summer on constant trip, but on winter short trips, it feels about right.
It's what I expected, and it doesn't make any difference to daily city use at all.
What I hadn't really factored in was that DC charging would also be slower, as a result of lower battery capacity. I've rarely DC charged, but last one was at 25Kw, and throttled back quickly too.
DC fast charge rate varies. On Leaf30 I've seen 43kW as the peak charge rate.. It follows a big chunk at 35-37kW before dropping to 20s.

A big factor in the charge speed is the battery temperature. 25-30C would mean a significant chunk of charge at 35kW. If battery temperature is lower than 20C or higher 40C, most charging will be in 20kW range.

Leaf24 also tapered the charge to 20s quicker than Leaf30.

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

·
Registered
43 Posts
The car is 5 years old and only has 17,000 miles.
So it must have been sitting up for a bit or not used for periods.

Is leaving the car sitting for a while worse for the battery than daily use?
It depends on if it was sat fully charged or partially charged during its inactive periods

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
The car is 5 years old and only has 17,000 miles.
So it must have been sitting up for a bit or not used for periods.

Is leaving the car sitting for a while worse for the battery than daily use?
Nissan Leaf batteries have a significant age related degradation.

Li-ion cells on general need to be stored at 3.7V for long life. Higher voltage can over time reduce capacity.

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi, If any of you have a gen 1.5 2013 or 2014 Leaf, ould you give me some info If possible:

1. 2013 or 2014
2. Mileage on the clock
3. Battery status of health

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Hi, If any of you have a gen 1.5 2013 or 2014 Leaf, ould you give me some info If possible:

1. 2013 or 2014
2. Mileage on the clock
3. Battery status of health
1. Dec 2014 car
2. 39-40k miles on the clock
3. SoH: 85%, lost its first health bar about a month ago.

I have a hypothesis that Nissan Leaf gen 1.5 24kWh battery under normal usage conditions (not left sitting at extremes) to be 3% a year. I'm expecting to lose next bar in 2 and a bit years time (H1 2022). As said, the health degradation seems to be more age related rather than mileage, as long as it isn't sat at 10% or 100%.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just got a VGate Wifi dongle and Leaf Spy Pro to use on our Gen 1 Leaf. Car was registered in April 2013 but was probably manufactured in 2012 (it had 2011 rear tyres when we bought it in Sept 2016 at 16000 miles) Now done 56000 miles (10 bars remaining) and has been a great 2nd car - used for a daily 38 mile round trip commute, charged on timer overnight to 100% - still meets our needs - but for how much longer? The original plan was to replace it with a 30Kwh Leaf around now - but not at £12,000!
I 've attached the Battery Cell graph which I think is around normal for a 2012/13 Gen1 car (SOH 76.62%) with a couple of weaker cells (43 and 88?) To me it looks quite similar to Ianto's result.
The huge number of L1/L2 charges looks odd - allowing for double counting on timer during our ownership (say 2000 ) there are still approx 1600 for the first 3 yrs/16000miles. Overall 1 charge/30 miles (approx 1 charge/40miles by us , 1/20 by previous owner) Don't think it was a demonstrator.
There are also a couple error codes (see attached) - can anybody shed any light on what the faults might be? No dash lights are showing.
Any observations welcome - particularly if I'm missing something on battery condition.
Many thanks

ErrorCodes.png Leafspy.pdf

Attachments

·
Registered
779 Posts
Is the LEAF battery degradation unusually aggressive for an electric vehicle? It is somewhat worrying that a 6-8 year old car might have lost 20% of its battery capacity when it has done under 100,000 miles.

I was always of the mind that an EV battery should last as long as the rest of the vehicle - at least 200,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Is the LEAF battery degradation unusually aggressive for an electric vehicle? It is somewhat worrying that a 6-8 year old car might have lost 20% of its battery capacity when it has done under 100,000 miles.

I was always of the mind that an EV battery should last as long as the rest of the vehicle - at least 200,000 miles.
Eer yes.. Leaf has no active thermal management. Additionally Leaf electrolyte seems to have age related degradation.

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently bought a 2017 Leaf and today I checked the battery's health with leafspy.

Leafspy states my SOH is 92,52%. That's nice and all, but the weird thing is my Leaf shows 1 battery bar missing.

From what I've read on this forum and elsewhere is that the last bar represents 15%. So... Somethings not right here. If my SOH is over 92%, I should have all bars, right?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
It's all over the place. Leafspy shows the SoH on my 2016 leaf is below 80% but it still has all bars on the display.
Have you check the settings on LSP?
I had problems with the settings being wrong.
The way I found around it was to backup the settings and then started working fine

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Had 2nd service done today. Battery report showed car on high SoC too long.

Most nights (at least 6 nights) I charge overnight. Charge finishes around 6. The car is driven from 8.. Driven few miles in the morning 10% and then again in the afternoon (another 10%). 5 days in a week is driven 50 miles in the evening.

Not sure what we do better

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
It's all over the place. Leafspy shows the SoH on my 2016 leaf is below 80% but it still has all bars on the display.
Your battery degradation could have been reset with the scan tool. (that's where leaf spy is golden)

·
Registered
1,551 Posts

Just for your info :
I have 35% degradation on a 2011 leaf. When I got it it was on 84% (11 bars) now 3.5 years later its now on 65% (8 bars).
I have been very careful with the battery, very rarely have I gone down to --- and rarely did I charge to 100%. I don't know how the previous owners kept the car, but in the last 3 and a half years I have seen MASSIVE degradation.
Car still is very usable for me though, so all is good..

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Just for your info :
I have 35% degradation on a 2011 leaf. When I got it it was on 84% (11 bars) now 3.5 years later its now on 65% (8 bars).
I have been very careful with the battery, very rarely have I gone down to --- and rarely did I charge to 100%. I don't know how the previous owners kept the car, but in the last 3 and a half years I have seen MASSIVE degradation.
Car still is very usable for me though, so all is good..
Wow that's a massive drop. Li-ion degradation is supposed to be drop. We know that 2011 pack was bad. Over 5% drop / year is bad though.
My Leaf30 had gone from 96% to 92% on 1 year / 21k miles - not particularly impressive either.

- Leaf 30 kWh

841 - 860 of 874 Posts