Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

861 - 872 of 872 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Wow that's a massive drop. Li-ion degradation is supposed to be drop. We know that 2011 pack was bad. Over 5% drop / year is bad though.
My Leaf30 had gone from 96% to 92% on 1 year / 21k miles - not particularly impressive either.

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos
Yeah - Mine it turns out was one of the very first imports and was the demo car. So it would have been sat at 100% for most of its time at the dealership. Now I am not sure how it was looked after it was sold (I am the 3rd owner), but what I do know is that in the time I have had it, it's had to have :
Near and off side arms replaced (ball joints)
Near side track rod end
Pads all round
Front discs
2x 12v batteries That I had to replace. From the limited paperwork I have I know it had 12v battery replaced, so that's 4 12v batteries in 8 and a half years.
Oh and I got 5 stars with the latest rubbish Nissan battery report that comes with their very expensive car wash...lol
I have had the car 3.5 years and have really looked after it. Despite all this its a cracking car, love to drive it. Just needs the battery replaced. I reckon by the time its truly ready, it will be something I can do myself. New tools are coming out all the time, now the system has been hacked.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I'm getting the impression that a Leaf, is effectively a short-lived disposable vehicle along the lines of a 108 or Fiesta, but sadly considerably more expensive. If I buy a car with 85% SoH then the pack will be quite worn out in 5 years time, maybe only with 50% health remaining.

Even if they are very cheap used vehicles, this makes it hard to consider one. I can see why the older Leafs are only £5k or so each.

A car should last 15 years / 200k miles, not 7 years / 100k miles. Nissan has some questions to answer here.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I'm getting the impression that a Leaf, is effectively a short-lived disposable vehicle along the lines of a 108 or Fiesta, but sadly considerably more expensive. If I buy a car with 85% SoH then the pack will be quite worn out in 5 years time, maybe only with 50% health remaining.

Even if they are very cheap used vehicles, this makes it hard to consider one. I can see why the older Leafs are only £5k or so each.

A car should last 15 years / 200k miles, not 7 years / 100k miles. Nissan has some questions to answer here.
I think your looking at it a little harshly. Most cars in the scrappy have done less than 100k miles, and for all types of reasons, not just because of engine problems (which can be swapped out).
The 2011/12 leaf was one of the first mass produced electric vehicles, shortcuts and mistakes were made. The good thing is that the bolt in battery is easily swappable and repairable now. I reckon there will be a fair few companies doing it in the future also I don't think any leaf has been scrapped for battery related issues they seem to be fixed and resold, I would go as far as to say all scrap EV's are all crashed cars which means plenty of good batteries for the picking.

For my car I will end up replacing 4 modules, I won't need to replace the entire pack.

EV's still don't fit the use pattern for everyone, and probably never will. People will have to change their driving habits if technology does not keep up I guess. One thing seems certain and that's the push for electric and Hydrogen vehicles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had 2nd service done today. Battery report showed car on high SoC too long.

Most nights (at least 6 nights) I charge overnight. Charge finishes around 6. The car is driven from 8.. Driven few miles in the morning 10% and then again in the afternoon (another 10%). 5 days in a week is driven 50 miles in the evening.

Not sure what we do better

- Leaf 30 kWh
That does seem a bit of a harsh judgement on your charging habits considering that my 30kwh Leaf manual only seems to suggest that a high SOC is to be avoided for an 'extended period of time' which I would interpret as weeks or months rather than hours. Did the dealership have any advice for you?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
That does seem a bit of a harsh judgement on your charging habits considering that my 30kwh Leaf manual only seems to suggest that a high SOC is to be avoided for an 'extended period of time' which I would interpret as weeks or months rather than hours. Did the dealership have any advice for you?
Nah just pulled out the report from previous (1st service) and it was the same.

The chap at dealership seemed to think it was expected.

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
107 Posts
At what point should these batteries be theoretically replaced , 75% ? Seems fast degradation. Shame to scrap a car or can you service the packs replacing the cells

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
At what point should these batteries be theoretically replaced , 75% ? Seems fast degradation. Shame to scrap a car or can you service the packs replacing the cells
It depends on many factors but primarily on how long do you need to drive.
There are companies that offer cell / full pack replacement (Indra)

A full pack replacement can cost a lot though much cheaper than buying a new car

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ahh yes Indra I tried on numerous occasions to get a figure from them for doing just that but with no avail . It seems 3% per year loss is average . I have env200 2014 30k miles 87%soh and I thought that was bad

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Ahh yes Indra I tried on numerous occasions to get a figure from them for doing just that but with no avail . It seems 3% per year loss is average . I have env200 2014 30k miles 87%soh and I thought that was bad
Seems good to me.
Indra charge around 1500 for a pack replacement (you get the pack).

This would mean that you could swap 24kWh for 30kWh or 40kWh.

Ping @Mike Schooling for faster turnaround

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Really sounds good I thought you could only swap like for like ie 24kw to 24kw . Good to know
Nope the packs are identical (physically) and requies reprogramming a bit but nothing major.

24kWh to 24kWh swap is something you could do it with right tools

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
117 Posts
Your battery degradation could have been reset with the scan tool. (that's where leaf spy is golden)
That had occurred to me but I'd have thought it would have sorted itself out by now. I've had the car three months.

861 - 872 of 872 Posts