Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

921 - 940 of 990 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts

Amazing how many times I've seen people cite this source without even bothering to look at the various absurdities it asserts, including that the 2012 LEAF surpasses all other BEVs in capacity retention, as per chart above comparing it with the far greater "average" degredation curve.

• Indeed. We knew that passive cooling was a factor in Leaf's degradation...

• It must be nice to know, so you don't have to actually determine if your beliefs are true, or not...

• If you still have the irrational need to take this study seriously (or just fell the need for a few laughs) you might want to take a look at this thread on another forum, for a fuller discussion of how this database can be applied to answer how many gids can dance on the head of a pin?:
"Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:01 am

The data from the Geotab Study does not support your conclusions:

2017 Leaf SOH at 2 years 8 months - 94.7
2016 Leaf SOH at 2 years 8 months - 93.9
2015 Leaf SOH at 2 years 8 months - 89.0
2014 Leaf SOH at 2 years 8 months - 89.6
2013 Leaf SOH at 2 years 8 months - 92.1

It would be terrific if we could get the underlying data but not possible. I think the latter years are more robust simply because there were more Leafs around than for the early years, but that's a guess on my part. FWIW my 2017S is at 95.6 SOH after 2 1/2 years."

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
View attachment 127263
Amazing how many times I've seen people cite this source without even bothering to look at the various absurdities it asserts, including that the 2012 LEAF surpasses all other BEVs in capacity retention, as per chart above comparing it with the far greater "average" degredation curve.

• It must be nice to know, so you don't have to actually determine if your beliefs are true, or not...

• If you still have the irrational need to take this study seriously (or just fell the need for a few laughs) you might want to take a look at this thread on another forum, for a fuller discussion of how this database can be applied to answer how many gids can dance on the head of a pin?:
"Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:01 am

The data from the Geotab Study does not support your conclusions:

2017 Leaf SOH at 2 years 8 months - 94.7
2016 Leaf SOH at 2 years 8 months - 93.9
2015 Leaf SOH at 2 years 8 months - 89.0
2014 Leaf SOH at 2 years 8 months - 89.6
2013 Leaf SOH at 2 years 8 months - 92.1

It would be terrific if we could get the underlying data but not possible. I think the latter years are more robust simply because there were more Leafs around than for the early years, but that's a guess on my part. FWIW my 2017S is at 95.6 SOH after 2 1/2 years."

My Leaf experienced 4% drop in SoH in 1 year, others have 98% and they started with over 100+.

No 2 Li-ion cells have same degradation. Everyone to their own.

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nope the packs are identical (physically) and requies reprogramming a bit but nothing major.

24kWh to 24kWh swap is something you could do it with right tools

- Leaf 30 kWh
It says they charge £6500 for a replacement 24kWh battery on their FAQ?

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq Electric Premium SE 2018 Black
46 Posts
After 2 months I dropped from 91.98% SoH to ... 91.87% :cool: could it be that it's not a linear decline of degradation? 2016 30Kwh

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Dave, Interesting stats. Looks like for you, a series of QCs seems to offset the general degradation curve.
I've read elsewhere on the site that QCs temporarily raise the SOH but that it drops back down again.
Yours doesn't seem to support this and you keep it.
Do you do many L1/L2 in between QCs?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Hi Dave, Interesting stats. Looks like for you, a series of QCs seems to offset the general degradation curve.
I've read elsewhere on the site that QCs temporarily raise the SOH but that it drops back down again.
Yours doesn't seem to support this and you keep it.
Do you do many L1/L2 in between QCs?
60 QCs in 15 months / 26k miles with over 1000 L2 charges though you will need to discount double counting due to timer usage for most part (so 550 real L2)

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
54 Posts
There are others.. Muxan (I believe quote around € 8500 for a 24 to 40kWh upgrade (including 40kWh battery). Ask @Mike Schooling from Indra for local pricing

- Leaf 30 kWh
Ah right. Currently looking at getting my first EV and it's between the 24 / 30kWh Leaf. Is there a OBDII adaptor you'd recommend from amazon to use with Leafspy? Only do around 20-35 miles a day to currently (partly due to finances) towards a 2015 24kWh, keeping for 3 years and then skipping straight to the 40kWh (as these by then are likely to be around the same price as the 30kWh version is now is my thinking..). With the difference in cost (generally around 2-3k) not sure if it's worth waiting a little longer and going for the 30kWk version?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Ah right. Currently looking at getting my first EV and it's between the 24 / 30kWh Leaf. Is there a OBDII adaptor you'd recommend from amazon to use with Leafspy? Only do around 20-35 miles a day to currently (partly due to finances) towards a 2015 24kWh, keeping for 3 years and then skipping straight to the 40kWh (as these by then are likely to be around the same price as the 30kWh version is now is my thinking..). With the difference in cost (generally around 2-3k) not sure if it's worth waiting a little longer and going for the 30kWk version?
For 25-30 miles Leaf 24 would work just fine. You are better off charging daily for depleting around 50%. For low mileage is also use 80% charge limiter available on 24kWh

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
54 Posts
For 25-30 miles Leaf 24 would work just fine. You are better off charging daily for depleting around 50%. For low mileage is also use 80% charge limiter available on 24kWh

- Leaf 30 kWh
That's what I was thinking... and I guess when I do go on a longer journey (100-150 mile round trip) the 30kWh wouldn't make a huge difference, just maybe an extra charge on the 24). When I did get up to the 40kWh range, longer journeys would become far easier :)

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
That's what I was thinking... and I guess when I do go on a longer journey (100-150 mile round trip) the 30kWh wouldn't make a huge difference, just maybe an extra charge on the 24). When I did get up to the 40kWh range, longer journeys would become far easier :)
Depending upon the time of the year 100 mile journey is possible in Leaf30. 150 mile journey wouldn't be possible in Leaf40 in most scenarios.

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Currently looking at getting my first EV and it's between the 24 / 30kWh Leaf. Is there a OBDII adaptor you'd recommend from amazon to use with Leafspy? Only do around 20-35 miles a day to currently (partly due to finances) towards a 2015 24kWh,
For my 13 Reg 24kWh Leaf, during this winter I am using just under 2% SOC per mile at 50ish mph in wet conditions (an easy figure to remember when trying to decide whether to stop at a charging point for a top-up or continue to the next one (or home)), so I would be happy planning on doing 40-50 miles from a full charge [32-40 miles from an 80% charge at a Rapid]. As we move towards summer, the available range will improve.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
This morning in a fully charged leaf 30 that was preheated, i did just over 75. that involved a lot of M6 in some wind and a lot of rain/sleet and then about 18miles off the M6 on country roads that had lots of slush in places.
Heating was on most of the time to keep the car demisted and set at 22'c
There was a lot of the journey that was roadworks but was 60mph limits so thats what i sat at.
I got the Low Battery Warning and the the Very Low Battery Warning
I wasn't worried as i've run the car right down twice before now to turtle and even low gid levels where it showed 0gids....
Had just over 7% would have shown on the dash but it went to ---.
leafspy showed 11.5% SoC and 14gids left.....

Thats a bad day of winter range btw as it was 1'c when i left Brum and about 4'c near holmes chapel and didnt get higher before the end of my journey.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
220 Posts
Hello all!

I wonder if I could ask for some advice regarding my (New to me) Leaf 30 I picked up last weekend.

Basically when I got home I was very disappointed with the SOH showing as just 84.88, although I still have all 12 bars.

I found that my first few days of driving, despite going slow and turning off heating I was getting not quite the milage I was expecting, But the weather has been bad and I was still getting used to the car.

The other thing I did not like was the two lower than other cells as shown and the high 126mV reading as shown below.

I have spent the week stretching the legs of the batters, ran it down once and have done several rapid charges as well as a couple of hours on a carport standard charger.

I also did a LS reading at turtle mode and was shocked to see my mV go up to over 300! I have also been getting weak cell warnings from LS when I tun the car to VLBS.

Yesterday I ran it down to the point of getting - - on my GOM then changed to near full on rain, came home and granny charged It to 100% until it turned itself off.

I have booked the car in for next Friday so Nissan can have a look however would be very grateful if any experts could have a look at a couple of my leaf spy screen grabs so I know what to say to Nissan next week, and any thoughts on what could be my problem.

Also my bars are pretty much all red all the time, I never really have blue bars - only briefly once unplugged from the charger.

So any thoughts as to what my problem could be and if I should be worried?

Many thanks!

Initial Reading's:

Few runs:

Turtle:

Post 100% charge using rapid then Granny cable for 5 hours:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Hello all!

I wonder if I could ask for some advice regarding my (New to me) Leaf 30 I picked up last weekend.

Basically when I got home I was very disappointed with the SOH showing as just 84.88, although I still have all 12 bars.

I found that my first few days of driving, despite going slow and turning off heating I was getting not quite the milage I was expecting, But the weather has been bad and I was still getting used to the car.

The other thing I did not like was the two lower than other cells as shown and the high 126mV reading as shown below.

I have spent the week stretching the legs of the batters, ran it down once and have done several rapid charges as well as a couple of hours on a carport standard charger.

I also did a LS reading at turtle mode and was shocked to see my mV go up to over 300! I have also been getting weak cell warnings from LS when I tun the car to VLBS.

Yesterday I ran it down to the point of getting - - on my GOM then changed to near full on rain, came home and granny charged It to 100% until it turned itself off.

I have booked the car in for next Friday so Nissan can have a look however would be very grateful if any experts could have a look at a couple of my leaf spy screen grabs so I know what to say to Nissan next week, and any thoughts on what could be my problem.

Also my bars are pretty much all red all the time, I never really have blue bars - only briefly once unplugged from the charger.

So any thoughts as to what my problem could be and if I should be worried?

Many thanks!

Initial Reading's:

View attachment 128180

View attachment 128181

Few runs:

View attachment 128182

View attachment 128183

Turtle:

View attachment 128184

Post 100% charge using rapid then Granny cable for 5 hours:

View attachment 128187

View attachment 128186