Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

941 - 960 of 971 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,283 Posts
Hello all!

I wonder if I could ask for some advice regarding my (New to me) Leaf 30 I picked up last weekend.

Basically when I got home I was very disappointed with the SOH showing as just 84.88, although I still have all 12 bars.

I found that my first few days of driving, despite going slow and turning off heating I was getting not quite the milage I was expecting, But the weather has been bad and I was still getting used to the car.

The other thing I did not like was the two lower than other cells as shown and the high 126mV reading as shown below.

I have spent the week stretching the legs of the batters, ran it down once and have done several rapid charges as well as a couple of hours on a carport standard charger.

I also did a LS reading at turtle mode and was shocked to see my mV go up to over 300! I have also been getting weak cell warnings from LS when I tun the car to VLBS.

Yesterday I ran it down to the point of getting - - on my GOM then changed to near full on rain, came home and granny charged It to 100% until it turned itself off.

I have booked the car in for next Friday so Nissan can have a look however would be very grateful if any experts could have a look at a couple of my leaf spy screen grabs so I know what to say to Nissan next week, and any thoughts on what could be my problem.

Also my bars are pretty much all red all the time, I never really have blue bars - only briefly once unplugged from the charger.

So any thoughts as to what my problem could be and if I should be worried?

Many thanks!

Initial Reading's:

View attachment 128180

View attachment 128181

Few runs:

View attachment 128182

View attachment 128183

Turtle:

View attachment 128184

Post 100% charge using rapid then Granny cable for 5 hours:

View attachment 128187

View attachment 128186
I'd say there is no problem and this is normal degradation for a Leaf. Your health will continue to go lower over time and miles.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I am relatively new to this but a big believer in the Gids figures reported. I like to drive on Gids. Your GIDs figure has improved tremendously since you did your charging sequence and based on the 93% shown looks pretty healthy. We see about 358 Gids at 98%. The kwh figure remaining is probably 1or 2 kwh down from a new battery.

Had it been stood a while?

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
148 Posts
Wow thanks for all the replies so far!

Dave - Thanks for the link, I have read that several times already and Im getting myself confused with all the numbers! Hence the reason for my post - its easy to get transfixed, but I was worried about those "weak cells"

JKenH and End - thanks - yes I think the car was sat on the forecourt for 2 weeks prior to me buying it, and before that all I know is it was owned by an older couple who only used it to go shopping in really.

I actually have been testing it on my way to work last night and home this morning - after the 100% charge I got back this morning having covered 50 miles and have 50% battery remaining.

So far I am getting about 1 mile per 1 %, however I did notice this morning I got very very slightly under that as I got to 50%

This test was run with me driving approx 40-55 mph at 3 degrees C, one way dry, one way rain. No heating or A/C on, only DAB radio.

Im just hoping tonight and tomorrow I can continue that trend, I guess my worry is if I have weak cells as others have said could this lead to me getting turtle suddenly on a motorway when pushing the car if I am towards a lower state of charge.

I'm hoping all is well as honestly, I have never loved a car this much! (Ok maybe my 2CV too) ;o)

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Wow thanks for all the replies so far!

Dave - Thanks for the link, I have read that several times already and Im getting myself confused with all the numbers! Hence the reason for my post - its easy to get transfixed, but I was worried about those "weak cells"

JKenH and End - thanks - yes I think the car was sat on the forecourt for 2 weeks prior to me buying it, and before that all I know is it was owned by an older couple who only used it to go shopping in really.

I actually have been testing it on my way to work last night and home this morning - after the 100% charge I got back this morning having covered 50 miles and have 50% battery remaining.

So far I am getting about 1 mile per 1 %, however I did notice this morning I got very very slightly under that as I got to 50%

This test was run with me driving approx 40-55 mph at 3 degrees C, one way dry, one way rain. No heating or A/C on, only DAB radio.

Im just hoping tonight and tomorrow I can continue that trend, I guess my worry is if I have weak cells as others have said could this lead to me getting turtle suddenly on a motorway when pushing the car if I am towards a lower state of charge.

I'm hoping all is well as honestly, I have never loved a car this much! (Ok maybe my 2CV too) ;o)
Just ask dealer to carry out CVLI test and make sure they do that.

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
TBH i'd be worried about the low cells.
The problem is the BMS will go off what the lowest cell value is so as you get lower down in charge level the range will start dropping like a rock. it will only get worse as well. My gut feeling is the car has spent a lot of time at low charge levels on a drive for just going to the shops and back in and only charged when its got very low.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
148 Posts
My SOH is improving and this is the first time I have had blue bars. Have been monitoring while charging and the “weak cells” never go the other way as someone said they should if they were weak.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
My SOH is improving and this is the first time I have had blue bars. Have been monitoring while charging and the “weak cells” never go the other way as someone said they should if they were weak. View attachment 128358 View attachment 128359
Those 2 cells would still cause an early loss of range. I'd get Nissan to do CVLI test.

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
That doesn't look good at all. Normally you'd expect to see all the cells within 50mV of each other at 10-20% SoC. Definitely a couple of weak cells with one a lot worse than the other.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
148 Posts
I’m currently range testing today and it’s behaving oddly this last week!

today from day 98% charge from rapid I got about 60 miles of mixed, lots of fast, heavy accelerating then 10 miles of 30mph on way to charger. that was mixed eco on and off and b mode. Reallyput me four down on the a27 at times!

also when charging those two weak cells just sit there, they don’t go to higher than the others while rapid charging like someone said they would if they were weak.
So just sat waiting for car to get to 100% then going to use eco and b mode with speed limiter to 62mph and see what range I get.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
There are two different ways that a cell can be "weak" - low capacity, and high internal resistance. Yours just look like low capacity.

It's true that if cells have higher than normal internal resistance the voltage will tend to go higher than other cells during a rapid charge.

There is a small chance that your cells are just out of balance, (perhaps they have been swapped in the past and SoC was not matched accurately) unfortunately the Leaf has a very slow balancing mechanism so even if that's true it will take a very long time (dozens or even hundreds of charge cycles) for it to do anything about an error this large. By then a lot of time has passed and you're stuck with the problem if it is indeed a problem.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
148 Posts
Ok so I am so sick of driving and charging except to test range, so today was my final test, I charged th3 car up to 100% and set out on a sunny, bright afternoon from Worthing to see how far I can drive.

I see the car to eco and B mode and drove in a steady style, maintaining a speed no greater than 62-63mph. Only twice did I need to go to 70 to remain safe but a lot of the journey on the A27 varied in speed so did some at 50, some at 30 and 40 when in and out of Worthing and hit some slow traffic at times.

I felt it was a very typical real world test not only of a good run at 63mph but also representativ3 of motorways and possibly having to come off seeking charge on a longer journey.

So I got to Portchester I think, just past Portsmouth before coming back, in total I managed 88.5 miles and leafspy reported a SOC of 20% (Leaf range and soc were both dashes --).

I then sat at the Nissan rapid charger and ran my battery down to 16% SOC as reported by leafspy, I diddnt see the Tortoise at all!

See below for my screens, last 2-3 are me running down to 16%.

Apoligies in advance, these will be my last pics now promise!

Any thoughts would be very well appreciated!

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Ok so I am so sick of driving and charging except to test range, so today was my final test, I charged th3 car up to 100% and set out on a sunny, bright afternoon from Worthing to see how far I can drive.

I see the car to eco and B mode and drove in a steady style, maintaining a speed no greater than 62-63mph. Only twice did I need to go to 70 to remain safe but a lot of the journey on the A27 varied in speed so did some at 50, some at 30 and 40 when in and out of Worthing and hit some slow traffic at times.

I felt it was a very typical real world test not only of a good run at 63mph but also representativ3 of motorways and possibly having to come off seeking charge on a longer journey.

So I got to Portchester I think, just past Portsmouth before coming back, in total I managed 88.5 miles and leafspy reported a SOC of 20% (Leaf range and soc were both dashes --).

I then sat at the Nissan rapid charger and ran my battery down to 16% SOC as reported by leafspy, I diddnt see the Tortoise at all!

See below for my screens, last 2-3 are me running down to 16%.

Apoligies in advance, these will be my last pics now promise!

Any thoughts would be very well appreciated!

View attachment 128373

View attachment 128374
View attachment 128375 View attachment 128376 View attachment 128378
View attachment 128379 View attachment 128380
That's not too bad.. I doubt my Leaf with 12mV difference would do any better.

Tutle mode comes past 4% I believe.

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Time for a trip to Nissan i think. Gateshead ideally if you can get there.
Complain about the range being half of what the GOM says and that it just starts dropping like a rock, and also ask for a CVLI test and show the leafspy pictures showing how bad it is and to "help" them along. when replaced I'd expect your SoH to be up around 92-95% again :)

941 - 960 of 971 Posts