Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

961 - 971 of 971 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi
I posted a similar experience earlier in this thread, where I had one cell reported by LeafSpy as weak and around 200mv difference across the cells. I would find that the reported range would decrease in line with the mileage driven until it got below 70% or so (can't remember the exact figure) and after that the estimated range would plummet like a rock and driving 10 miles would take 30 miles off the reported range. I took the car to Westway Nissan at Mill Hill and they did a diagnostic test on it, after which it went back to Nissan UK for just over a week and the weak cell was replaced. It's much more predictable in terms of range now and the overall range has improved pretty much in line with the reported range and my expectations.

Steve

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Hi
I posted a similar experience earlier in this thread, where I had one cell reported by LeafSpy as weak and around 200mv difference across the cells. I would find that the reported range would decrease in line with the mileage driven until it got below 70% or so (can't remember the exact figure) and after that the estimated range would plummet like a rock and driving 10 miles would take 30 miles off the reported range. I took the car to Westway Nissan at Mill Hill and they did a diagnostic test on it, after which it went back to Nissan UK for just over a week and the weak cell was replaced. It's much more predictable in terms of range now and the overall range has improved pretty much in line with the reported range and my expectations.

Steve

Steve did it come back with exactly the same pack or was it a different unit and just swapped out?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Tu[r]tle mode comes past 4% I believe.
For my 24kWh Leaf, Turtle mode (which I have not yet encountered) comes on at a lot less than 4% SOC. AFAIK, LBW comes on at 4 kWh left, VLBW comes on at 2 kWh left, the %SOC indication goes to ---% when there is about 5% SOC left (? 1 kWh left), and I have yet to experience the reduced power turtle mode even though once when I plugged into a DBT charger, the charging post said I had 0% left. By other accounts, turtle mode is just sufficient to allow you to pull in to the side of the road away from other traffic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Steve did it come back with exactly the same pack or was it a different unit and just swapped out?
The pack shows the same serial number and the cell 77 that was previously very low now shows in LeafSpy as four cells that are slightly higher voltage than the rest of the pack, my understanding being that the cells are in modules of four so it looks like a cell module has been replaced in the existing pack.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
2014 Leaf (24kwh) at just under 49.7k miles.

Bought used three days ago, pleased to see the 90.4% SOH.

Is there anything else to look at to guage the battery health or is the SOH readout enough to go on?
That looks good. Let's see how that looks after a months usage?

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

·
Registered
2 Posts
That looks good. Let's see how that looks after a months usage?

- Leaf 30 kWh
I will post an update in a month or so(y) given the current situ I'm confident it'll be doing an awful lot of sitting around. I was pleasantly surprised by the numbers.

Would you expect that to potentially deteriorate once normal usage resumes? i.e. because the car has been sat at the dealership, not getting much use, are these initial readouts not necessarily to be relied on?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I will post an update in a month or so(y) given the current situ I'm confident it'll be doing an awful lot of sitting around. I was pleasantly surprised by the numbers.

Would you expect that to potentially deteriorate once normal usage resumes? i.e. because the car has been sat at the dealership, not getting much use, are these initial readouts not necessarily to be relied on?
Don't charge it fully. I'm charging my Leaf for an hour or so max as needed. I'm keeping it close to 50% as I don't need to go further than local shops

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
After some normal uses, I'd expect the SoH to come in line with other cars of similar age.

The SoH is just a guestimate by the Battery management system. The guesses are based on battery voltages when it is at full and near empty, so to get most accurate guesses, you need to allow the battery reach top and bottom a few times. Unfortunately this is difficult to achieve during a lockdown.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
The HX seems to be a better value to go off and shows that the SoH is a bit iffy after nissans BMS 'patch' :(

961 - 971 of 971 Posts