Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1001 - 1020 of 1064 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Answers on a postcard - will I make it to 35k before the first bar goes? Stay tuned!

View attachment 131760
Quick update for anyone that's interested. No drop of bar yet! Less than 100 miles until 35k. Fingers crossed.

Quick Leafspy screengrab at 21% (on dash), shows 21mV biggest difference compared to 11mV when fully charged... which seems fairly even to me. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
841 Posts
So I know I was going to put leaf spy away but.......😂

Anyway I still am getting great range after my 2 cell replacement, and my Mv sits at 20 when fully charged see screen below, but as soon as I start to drain the battery a bit my mV starts to rise, it was 40 today at 80%.

If anyone could please take a look at my screen shots below and tell me what they think, is this ok as it’s 20 when full, or did they not do as good s as job as I first thought?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
View attachment 132099 So I know I was going to put leaf spy away but.......😂

Anyway I still am getting great range after my 2 cell replacement, and my Mv sits at 20 when fully charged see screen below, but as soon as I start to drain the battery a bit my mV starts to rise, it was 40 today at 80%.

If anyone could please take a look at my screen shots below and tell me what they think, is this ok as it’s 20 when full, or did they not do as good s as job as I first thought?

Many thanks!

View attachment 132100
It looks fine to me, you can see the two new modules that have been fitted but it will even out slowly as the others drag them back down.

have you left it a few times overnight to fully charge via a granny lead?
any rapids since the replacement as id say some rapids could help you a little, try and aim for at least 1 per month maybe after a good hard run to warm the battery to a similar temp as in your last pic.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,006
View attachment 132099 So I know I was going to put leaf spy away but.......😂

Many thanks!

View attachment 132100
Two modules are clearly in better health than the rest, which is to be expected if they've been replaced. Quite what the BMS will make of it is anyone's guess, but as long as you're getting a range that works for you then good news. Top it up to 100% now and again for balancing, but don't leave it there and don't let the pack get hot.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
841 Posts
Two modules are clearly in better health than the rest, which is to be expected if they've been replaced. Quite what the BMS will make of it is anyone's guess, but as long as you're getting a range that works for you then good news. Top it up to 100% now and again for balancing, but don't leave it there and don't let the pack get hot.
Thanks! Oh the subject of heat, how many bars should I be concerned about on the temp gauge? I regularly see it at 6 if I drive hard, but have had it near red once in past when I rapid charged several times.

Whats the ideal I should aim for, no more than 7?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,009
Thanks! Oh the subject of heat, how many bars should I be concerned about on the temp gauge? I regularly see it at 6 if I drive hard, but have had it near red once in past when I rapid charged several times.

Whats the ideal I should aim for, no more than 7?
If it does rise all you can do is drive gently, and avoid hard regen. Also avoid rapid charging to a high state of charge since heating is more pronounced at high SOC. Easier said than done, I've driven across the UK in a 5 year old Leaf 24!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
If it does rise all you can do is drive gently, and avoid hard regen. Also avoid rapid charging to a high state of charge since heating is more pronounced at high SOC. Easier said than done, I've driven across the UK in a 5 year old Leaf 24!
Last year I chose the worst day to drive from London to Sheffield. It was 33C and I chose longer route rather than go on M1.
On 2nd rapid, battery bar was at 1st red and I realised that we didn't bring something with us.

I was driving like mad - that didn't help as I as thinking of driving back.

Holiday Inn at destination had Polar rapid but in 60 mins it barely got to 60%. Thankfully I went into town and got stuff sorted.

Sheffield was way cooler overnight so battery cool to 9 bars and stayed that way the next day

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
bestthing to do as you approach the red is slow down. 55-60mph on the dash is best for this and after an hour you'll generally shed at least 10'c of battery heat at a steady speed.

i've done manchester - london - manchester in a day and only started to get near the red on a warm day.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
bestthing to do as you approach the red is slow down. 55-60mph on the dash is best for this and after an hour you'll generally shed at least 10'c of battery heat at a steady speed.

i've done manchester - london - manchester in a day and only started to get near the red on a warm day.
I know I know. Difficult to tell yourself to take it easy when you are trying to find out what to do next before you get to destination

·
Registered
392 Posts
Interesting to dip in to this thread every now and again. I’ve been tempted to buy the dongle and leaf spy but never got around to it. I figured I’d only obsess about the battery more than I do already. Can see it would be useful in the case of spotting weak cells though.
Ours is a 65 plate LEAF30, done 53k miles and still has all 12 battery bars. Just because of its age (coming up to 5 years old), I've been expecting a bar to go for the last 6 months or so, but it’s still hanging on in there.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Interesting to dip in to this thread every now and again. I’ve been tempted to buy the dongle and leaf spy but never got around to it. I figured I’d only obsess about the battery more than I do already. Can see it would be useful in the case of spotting weak cells though.
Ours is a 65 plate LEAF30, done 53k miles and still has all 12 battery bars. Just because of its age (coming up to 5 years old), I've been expecting a bar to go for the last 6 months or so, but it’s still hanging on in there.
I was into a persistent state of monitoring however Covid19 took the joy out of it.

Having said that SoH / AHr has dropped a fair bit over the lock down.

Might have to shock the battery with a few rapid charges

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I can see a few will be in the same boat @Hermit Dave as a lot will have been nearly full or full for a long time and it wont have done the batteries any good.
Nissan would have been good to send a comms out advising every user to ideally leave their battery at 40-60% SoC by running it down via remote climate control or such if needed, when parked for over 2 weeks. I mean they have everyones email address or could have done an App pop-up...

mine has infact got better due to a few runs across the country and rapids. The 5 rapids in a day has helped the most i think

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I can see a few will be in the same boat @Hermit Dave as a lot will have been nearly full or full for a long time and it wont have done the batteries any good.
Nissan would have been good to send a comms out advising every user to ideally leave their battery at 40-60% SoC by running it down via remote climate control or such if needed, when parked for over 2 weeks. I mean they have everyones email address or could have done an App pop-up...

mine has infact got better due to a few runs across the country and rapids. The 5 rapids in a day has helped the most i think
Early days of lockdown I was doing 40-60%
Last 2 months I've moved to 40-80% with occasional full charge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

I picked up a 30kWh Nissan Leaf in February with . It was showing one bar down on the battery, but as it was the cheapest in the UK at the time I though I would take a risk. So far the car has been great, giving a range of about 95 miles, which is fine for my 70 mile commute.

Over the weekend, I installed Leaf spy and found out its state of health is 72.5%, but the BCM is running the base 4NR4A. How much should I get back with an firmware update? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Hi,

I picked up a 30kWh Nissan Leaf in February with . It was showing one bar down on the battery, but as it was the cheapest in the UK at the time I though I would take a risk. So far the car has been great, giving a range of about 95 miles, which is fine for my 70 mile commute.

Over the weekend, I installed Leaf spy and found out its state of health is 72.5%, but the BCM is running the base 4NR4A. How much should I get back with an firmware update? Thanks.

View attachment 132361 View attachment 132362 View attachment 132363 View attachment 132364
SoH is under 75%, I'd ask for battery replacement under warranty

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Hi,

I will try and contact Nissan tomorrow, thanks.
I'd hold off for a day or two. Have you checked if it had firmware update or not? You need LeafSpy Pro though.

See what other members suggest before approaching Nissan.

1001 - 1020 of 1064 Posts