Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1041 - 1060 of 1064 Posts

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
@DBMandrake
You're right. I have never let %SOC go below 20%

Would you buy a car from someone who lives in a flat and only charges for free at Nissan dealers Chademo?
I wouldn't buy any Leaf without seeing the Leafspy report first. End of story. :)

Battery health depends on so many factors (particularly on a car with no charge limiter and no battery cooling) that without intimate knowledge of the previous owners habits you can never know just from age/mileage, assumed charging patterns etc whether it will be good or not. Also random events can cause cells to go bad, as well as manufacturing defects which might lie dormant for a while before striking.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Agreed its lottery, but its a bigger lottery for the reasons you gave with the Leafs. Leafspy is essential as that first bar is at 85% and the last thing you want is find you lose a bar soon after buying one.

I'm happy with my second hand Soul 30kwh and seems to be good one for far, Soul owner are general happier bunch on forums and KIA's 7 year warranty and very cheap servicing, helped me sway away from Leafs.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
As with anything I would go on condition. What if the leaf has had one rapid charge from 20-80% every week and low mileage?
What if it has over 1000 l2/3 charges( basically every night of its life)

When I bought mine it had 23k on the clock and just a handful of rapid charges as they didn't do much mileage in 3 yrs since getting it brand new.

Then I got it and did trips from Manchester to Basingstoke/Camberley/Guildford.... On a weekly basis with sometimes trips to places like frinton on sea thrown in for good measure so would easily do 3 or 4 rapids in a day and because I don't like hanging around, 85% was my limit from as low as 10-15% most of the time.
Some of this was in the summer and the temps got high but I was quickly back on the road and temps would fall back down again with sitting at 55-60mph.

Rapids are really a problem for those that often leave them on there until the rapid clicks off. Never a good a idea imo.

Each to their own I say but my battery health for age and mileage speaks for itself and it's on a low day as well at the moment, generally hovers around 88-89..

·
Registered
72 Posts
TBH there is a long learning curve when in comes to buying second hand EVs and very few people will bother trying to learn. And hence EVs are sell quickly and holding their value.
Every seller I visited (all were private sellers) had never seen a Bluetooth odb2 adapter and leaf spy/torque pro

If I came to see your car the amount of QC (I assume that is CHAdeMO) and total number of charges would mean I would walk away. I know that’s harsh but most batteries will degrade faster after 2000 charging cycles. In my car it will take me another 10 years to get to your current charge cycle

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
TBH there is a long learning curve when in comes to buying second hand EVs and very few people will bother trying to learn. And hence EVs are sell quickly and holding their value.
Every seller I visited (all were private sellers) had never seen a Bluetooth odb2 adapter and leaf spy/torque pro

If I came to see your car the amount of QC (I assume that is CHAdeMO) and total number of charges would mean I would walk away. I know that’s harsh but most batteries will degrade faster after 2000 charging cycles. In my car it will take me another 10 years to get to your current charge cycle
I wonder how V2G works since those use ChaDeMo. Will the car increase QC count massively or mark it as L1/L2 as its 7kW charge/discharge

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think V2G is tricky one, On the one hand we have people who buy cars with massive battery capacity, yet barely do 100 miles a week, and may only need to charge once a month. But can utilise the massive battery capacity on v2g to either buy from Grid at cheap rates like 4 hours of Octopus Go at 5pm or use daytime solar and sell back peak evening times. Tesla powerwall are built for things like that, and has big advantage as its meant to 5000 cycles before it shows any noticable degradation (best BMU), whereas its closer to 2000 to 3000 cycles for car batteries (according to battery manufacturers tests and datasheets) and most other HOME battery storage suppliers. But overall say if you earn £750 / year from trading energy vs losing a couple of years of battery life, maybe a fair trade.

(Side note: Not sure Powerwall costing £7500 + installation for 13.5kwh makes any economic sense, unless you have no grid or an unreliable grid. Only people who seem to advocate them are Pompous influencers who have accumulated so many Tesla credits, that they get if for free)

·
Registered
392 Posts
I think V2G is tricky one, On the one hand we have people who buy cars with massive battery capacity, yet barely do 100 miles a week, and may only need to charge once a month. But can utilise the massive battery capacity on v2g to either buy from Grid at cheap rates like 4 hours of Octopus Go at 5pm or use daytime solar and sell back peak evening times. Tesla powerwall are built for things like that, and has big advantage as its meant to 5000 cycles before it shows any noticable degradation (best BMU), whereas its closer to 2000 to 3000 cycles for car batteries (according to battery manufacturers tests and datasheets) and most other HOME battery storage suppliers. But overall say if you earn £750 / year from trading energy vs losing a couple of years of battery life, maybe a fair trade.

(Side note: Not sure Powerwall costing £7500 + installation for 13.5kwh makes any economic sense, unless you have no grid or an unreliable grid. Only people who seem to advocate them are Pompous influencers who have accumulated so many Tesla credits, that they get if for free)

to add to your calculations this is interesting, v2g has been shown to improve battery life by university of Warwick studies. Interesting stuff all around, but probably more study needed to determine real life longterm effect.

As an aside, does anyone know where you can buy a LEAF OBD2 dongle that isn’t amazon? thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Minor update.

SOH has decreased from 72.72% to 71.94% in two weeks. Car has only done 100 miles. Nissan battery check is booked in for 25th August. Might be below the magic 70% by then.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Minor update.

SOH has decreased from 72.72% to 71.94% in two weeks. Car has only done 100 miles. Nissan battery check is booked in for 25th August. Might be below the magic 70% by then.

View attachment 132921
Is this a 30kwh leaf?

Id' say your keeping it at a high SoC is not helping the SoH and not many rapids.
I guess your not doing many long trips and its doing mostly short runs?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I purchased the car in Feb of this year. Nissan dealer was going to send it to auction as it already had a bar down, but the 100 odd range it was fine for my commute of 70 miles a day. As the car was 3 years old, I thought well if the battery does fail, I will get a replacement.

With lock down, I am working from home, hence the massive drop in weekly mileage. Car currently gets charged once a week from a 3 pin plug.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Our leaf was on 83% SOH just before I sold it.
50600 miles. 30kwh. 65 reg.
The screen shot was taken few weeks before sale, after the bar dropped.
I simply do not believe that there are 30kwh leafs there with 50k+ mileage that have soh above 89%. If I came across one for sale, I’d suspect manipulation.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Our leaf was on 83% SOH just before I sold it.
50600 miles. 30kwh. 65 reg.
The screen shot was taken few weeks before sale, after the bar dropped.
I simply do not believe that there are 30kwh leafs there with 50k+ mileage that have soh above 89%. If I came across one for sale, I’d suspect manipulation.
im expecting our first bar to go every time I get in the thing now! Now over 54k, 65 plate, 30kWh. the longer it goes on the more interested i am to get leafspy and see what’s up. Anyone know where to buy an obd2 for iPhone that isn’t amazon?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
im expecting our first bar to go every time I get in the thing now! Now over 54k, 65 plate, 30kWh. the longer it goes on the more interested i am to get leafspy and see what’s up. Anyone know where to buy an obd2 for iPhone that isn’t amazon?
eBay?

·
Registered
392 Posts
eBay?

I stopped using eBay ages ago because the associated PayPal account generated so much spam. do you have to use PayPal to buy through eBay, or can you just pay by card?

edit - I know I could prob find out by looking at the eBay website, but you always seem so helpful I figured you might know!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I stopped using eBay ages ago because the associated PayPal account generated so much spam. do you have to use PayPal to buy through eBay, or can you just pay by card?

edit - I know I could prob find out by looking at the eBay website, but you always seem so helpful I figured you might know!
I tend to use PapPal but there are other payment options but I’ve never tried those to be honest. They might be PayPal as eBay doesn’t have their own payment processing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 e-Golf
8 Posts
Hi all
Just bought this 2013 LEAF from auction and couldn’t check it before hand - found an MP’s business card in car so it was used in London probably. Thought the QCs were high but others on here are much higher! shows 11 bars - when will my next bar disappear? Anybody know?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi your battery looks good for it’s age mine is around 83% on a late 2014 with 50000 miles!
If I am not mistaken I think the 1st bar goes after 15% and then around 7.5% each bar after so should be around 77% to loose the 11 bar.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
That's a very low amount of QCs for the age of vehicle it is.
I'd be happy with that and maybe give it a few long runs with rapid charges to see if it helps perk it up at all...

1041 - 1060 of 1064 Posts