Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1141 - 1160 of 1212 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Local Nissan dealer successfully applied the firmware mod today. I acknowledge that %SOH is unreliable, but it has changed from 79.6 to 90.6 and my lost 1st bar has returned.
Looking at a similar car, gone from 76-88.5% SOH.... how it been since the update, has it started around the same?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Small update after i started driving the car far more and charging with a timer to 100% only when around 30% left... I was down to 90.2% soh (!!) and now we're at 91.65... It's like there's a little lost man with a flashlight inside the BMS just making random guesses!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all - I drive a 2016 30kWh LEAF - picked it up a year ago, about 11000 miles on the odometer, 15000 now, battery SOH around 81%. It lost it's first battery bar a few months ago - I checked on LEAFSpy pro and I'm on the old firmware code (4NR4A) , but I spoke to the local Nissan dealership today and they claim that the update was already done when the car was in last year for an issue with the heater. Is this possible that it's been done but LEAFspy shows the old code?

I've booked it in with them for an MOT and for them to recheck the update, but the person I spoke to on the phone seemed sceptical - according to their records it's been done - though they didn't mention it to me when it went in for the heater fix so I'm a bit suspicious. I guess I can show them the LEAFSpy reading when I'm there to try and persuade them but if that doesn't work I'm not sure what my best approach is? Really hope I can get the 12th battery bar back as apparently it's worth about £1000 or so for potential resale value!

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, Outlander PHEV
2,398 Posts
It sounds like cobblers, just say to them this is the firmware version being reported by the car.
If they still don't listen then raise a compliant and get another dealer to do the work instead
That's good advice

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Hi all - I drive a 2016 30kWh LEAF - picked it up a year ago, about 11000 miles on the odometer, 15000 now, battery SOH around 81%. It lost it's first battery bar a few months ago - I checked on LEAFSpy pro and I'm on the old firmware code (4NR4A) , but I spoke to the local Nissan dealership today and they claim that the update was already done when the car was in last year for an issue with the heater. Is this possible that it's been done but LEAFspy shows the old code?
Car dealers not doing what they said they've done ? Who would have thought... :ROFLMAO: Peugeot claimed they'd replaced the brake vacuum pump in my Ion in the mandatory safety recall in 2016(ish) yet in 2020 the pump failed catastrophically and the husk that I pulled out to replace myself at my own expense looked like the factory original with 10 years rust on it. :rolleyes:

Leaf Spy will cache the previous ECU versions when you first go back to the ECU versions page, so make sure you press the Read ECU versions button again beside the list of versions and ensure that the list empties and slowly repopulates - if it does this it is freshly reading the versions from all the ECU's.
I've booked it in with them for an MOT and for them to recheck the update, but the person I spoke to on the phone seemed sceptical - according to their records it's been done - though they didn't mention it to me when it went in for the heater fix so I'm a bit suspicious. I guess I can show them the LEAFSpy reading when I'm there to try and persuade them but if that doesn't work I'm not sure what my best approach is? Really hope I can get the 12th battery bar back as apparently it's worth about £1000 or so for potential resale value!
I think you guys need to be a bit more forceful when Nissan are trying to bullshit you. Axel has just had the same problem over in another thread:

He's only just bought the car from Nissan and it has a reported SoH of 70%, (9 bars!) has the same 4NR4A firmware version as you which is known bad, and they deny that there is an update available, refuse to do anything about it and claim that 9 bars is perfectly normal after 4 years and 45k miles! What a lot of horse manure. :mad: I've suggested he reject the car if they don't apply the firmware but it looks like he's going to keep it.

Luckily my car already came with 4NR4C and SoH is good (or I wouldn't have bought it) but if I was in the same position as either of you and Nissan were trying to stonewall and bullshit me I'd be speaking to the manager demanding they put the car on their diagnostic tool in front of me to "prove" that the firmware has been updated or going to Nissan head office. I would also be printing out and shoving in front of their face some of the many articles about the battery firmware - the firmware version numbers are in the public domain and this issue is well known.

It really makes me fume when dealers (sorry, stealers) rip people off and don't give a damn. Don't let them get away with it.

I have my first "service" due in February since I bought my Leaf and I'm kinda dreading it to be honest after seeing so many people have issues with Nissan dealers. The only reason I'll be taking it at all instead of doing the service items myself is to maintain the battery warranty.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
As an update to this, this is what it's like after a long time sitting at 40% soc, IE days at a time before a run or such due to covid and a replacement arriving.

Previous ones are in the quoted message below. I expect this to carry on rising back to a natural level over the next week over a few charge cycles and some more driving.
For those interested these are shots of my battery health over the last 11months, i cant find the original shot but when i bought the car it was on approx 94% SoH @ 24,000 miles :)
I have access to a lot of free charging either via Granny lead @ work, 3kw at a local park and ride or Rapid charges when out and about. The free rapids are getting less and less common but still happen and are needed for longer trips, like London and back in a day or such :)

View attachment 130040 View attachment 130039 View attachment 130038 View attachment 130037 View attachment 130041 View attachment 130042 View attachment 130043 View attachment 130044

·
Registered
383 Posts
Not sure if I'm double posting but these are my stats from August when it lost it's first bar.
Car has generally been charged to 100% most nights, although more recently it's been charged for 5 hours so not always to full and balanced. Pu it on a rapid at a Nissan dealership yesterday and it seemed to stall at 97% as
indicated on the rapid. 4NR6A firmware. Bought from new November 2016.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
That's not bad given the mileage.
Charging to full every night wouldn't have helped it long term but I guess if you carry on and can get it to 3 bars failed before 100k then you'll get a replacement battery out of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all - new to EV ownership but been doing lots of reading. Have sourced a 2016 30kw Leaf with the 6.6kw on board charger. It's done 42k miles but still has 12 bars remaining. The dealer has sent over the attached Leafspy print out. Before I part with my hard earned cash does this seem reasonable for the mileage done? Anything to be weary about. We will be doing 50 miles a day in it, mainly on the motorway.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Welcome spangle dangle!

Looking at the stats from leafspy that leaf has been plugged in twice a day roughly to a level 2 charger so must have always been kept pretty well charged and not run down too low very often at all.
It's SoH is not far off what mine is at 58k miles. Had it sat still for long during lockdown at all?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Welcome spangle dangle!

Looking at the stats from leafspy that leaf has been plugged in twice a day roughly to a level 2 charger so must have always been kept pretty well charged and not run down too low very often at all.
It's SoH is not far off what mine is at 58k miles. Had it sat still for long during lockdown at all?
The garage have only just sourced it themselves so I don't know what it's been up to for the last few months, but I assume that's probably quite a common issue with everyone at the moment. The petrol car I'm part xing it for got a flat tyre from accidently being parked on a sharp stone for 4 months and then a dead battery from not being driven for the same! Husband has just got a new job though with the daily miles, hence the move to EV. I'm reckoning he will probably use about 60% of the battery each day, maybe more in winter so planning on charging it every night at home on a 7kw charger on the Octopus Go tariff. I don't know much about the best way to preserve battery life, I guess knowledge is still evolving but any tips based on our projected usage would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf Accenta 30kWh, 3.3kW, 2017
18 Posts

I thought you were suppose to lose a bar at 85% SOH? However, even though it has dropped to below 80%, the car still shows 12 bars. Not that it seems to matter much; I don't think I have really lost any real world range once you take into account the loss of efficiency due to the colder weather + using the heater.

Note: Whilst it looks like I am charging it a lot (approx one charge per 20 miles), that's mainly due to using the charger timer (which doubles it basically) and splitting a weekend charge over 2 days when my solar is generating.

1141 - 1160 of 1212 Posts