Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1161 - 1180 of 1212 Posts

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Hi all - new to EV ownership but been doing lots of reading. Have sourced a 2016 30kw Leaf with the 6.6kw on board charger. It's done 42k miles but still has 12 bars remaining. The dealer has sent over the attached Leafspy print out. Before I part with my hard earned cash does this seem reasonable for the mileage done? Anything to be weary about. We will be doing 50 miles a day in it, mainly on the motorway. View attachment 136632
Leafspy report looks good to me. Cell balance of 9mV is excellent and State of Health of 88% seems reasonable for a car which has done 42k miles.

My 2016 Leaf 30 is a bit over 91% but it has only done 27k miles.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
We will be doing 50 miles a day in it, mainly on the motorway
Husband has just got a new job though with the daily miles, hence the move to EV. I'm reckoning he will probably use about 60% of the battery each day, maybe more in winter so planning on charging it every night at home on a 7kw charger on the Octopus Go tariff.
Range reduces significantly above 60mph and in winter in EV's, but you should still be OK for a 50 mile commute with a comfortable margin as long as you're not doing over 70mph. If the motorway is multi-lane and you're ok doing 60mph in the left lane (which is what I normally do on my commute, although traffic tends to flow naturally at that speed at peak hours) then you can increase your range by about 20% compared to travelling at 70mph and only get there a few minutes later.

A bit of experience driving the route will show whether you can just blast at 70 with impunity and still have a healthy margin or whether a slight drop in speed is prudent in winter to make up for the natural range loss in winter.

Your estimate of using about 60% of the battery is probably not too far off. I'd say probably 50% used in summer and 70% used in winter depending on speed.

I do 35 miles a day, half motorway half city/residential with a lot of stopping and the best I've managed in warm weather is 33% used and the worst so far in cold weather (although I haven't been through a full winter yet) about 45% - but that was with both heater and AC on at the same time due to heavy rain and fogging, and lots of standing water on the road.
I don't know much about the best way to preserve battery life, I guess knowledge is still evolving but any tips based on our projected usage would be much appreciated.
For a longish motorway commute you probably want to leave with 100% charge each morning, especially in winter so you have plenty of safety margin for motorway accident delays, diversions, bad weather, snow etc but there is one very easy thing you can do to help preserve the battery life, and that's to use the charge timer to delay charging until the early hours of the morning.

I have the charge end timer on mine set to 7am Monday-Friday for a 7:45 departure. If you set an end timer and no start timer the car automatically calculates when it should start charging to reach full charge at the set time, thus it leaves charging as late as possible but always ensures it gets to 100%. So you can plug the car in as soon as you get home and go in for the night but the car will wait until the calculated time to start charging - typically around 3am to 4am for me. (I also have the 6kW charger)

This gives the battery time to cool down before charging, especially after a long motorway journey, dramatically reduces the number of hours per day the battery sits around at 100% charge, and avoids having it sitting at 100% charge while still hot. All of these are good for long term battery health especially in a car like the Leaf with no battery cooling system.

In fact I recommend anyone who does a regular daily commute with a Leaf who wants a full charge in the morning to use the charge timer - it only takes a couple of minutes to set up and doesn't cause any inconvenience, so why not ? Just remember to press the immediate charge button if you're using a public Level 2 charger. :)

If you have a tariff with cheaper night time rates you want to take advantage of I would probably set a start timer instead and no end timer to make sure most or all of the charging happens within the cheap time period and you will still get most of the benefit of deferring the charging for a number of hours after coming home.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 30kwh Tekna (2016)
123 Posts
Hi all,

New Leaf owner here and thought I'd chip in with my brief experience buying a 2016 Tekna 30kwh with 46k miles and 3.3kw charger.

Checked out the firmware and found it to be 4A too but Nissan claimed there's nothing new to install and the battery was fine.

I had 9 bars on the dashboard and luckily got a friend's Leaf with similar spec and use to compare notes with. Here's what I found:

• His Leaf just dropped to 8 bars and shows 62.86% SOH in the app
  • My Leaf showed 9 bars and 63.34% SOH... a few days ago
  • My Leaf now shows 63.15% SOH o_O

Am I getting closer to filing that warranty case with Nissan yet?

30 Oct:

2 Nov:

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, Outlander PHEV
2,398 Posts
Hi all,

New Leaf owner here and thought I'd chip in with my brief experience buying a 2016 Tekna with 46k miles and 3.3kw charger.

Checked out the firmware and found it to be 4A too but Nissan claimed there's nothing new to install and the battery was fine.

I had 9 bars on the dashboard and luckily got a friend's Leaf with similar spec and use to compare notes with. Here's what I found:

I think you should start a conversation with Nissan about this
Battery Capacity Loss Warranty Chart For 2016 30 kWh Nissan LEAF (insideevs.com)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks Dave. Nissan's reply was 'unless it drops to below 9 bars in the dashboard, we will not accept it' :/ I hit Glyn Hopkin with the details from my Spy as well as that link but Nissan doesn't budge... for now.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hi all,

New Leaf owner here and thought I'd chip in with my brief experience buying a 2016 Tekna with 46k miles and 3.3kw charger.

30 Oct:
View attachment 136751

2 Nov:
View attachment 136752
Are these 30kWh or 24kWh models?

EDIT - nevermind, saw it listed on your profile as 30kWh

·
Registered
251 Posts
You will definitely go below 9 bars before the end of the Wty period.
However I have heard of Nissan outside of the UK trying to weasel out of battery replacement, claiming it is warranted against manufacturing faults (generally individual bad cells) and claiming that as battery is evenly depleted this is normal wear and tear and not covered as is not a manufacturing defect...obviously complete tosh, and I don't mean to worry you, but worth carefully reading the current wty terms.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks Jon. Are there other owners in the UK who have had this issue this year on this forum? I have only been able to read up a few pages in this thread and most of my research focussed on the Nissan Owners Forum... which seems to be mostly owners from the USA?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
If its on 4A it definitely needs a firmware update. Doing the update will give you a big jump in SoH.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If its on 4A it definitely needs a firmware update. Doing the update will give you a big jump in SoH.
That's what I thought and told the dealer... according to them it has had all the updates and there's no updates they can see :/

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Find another dealer. At the very least if you find one that knows what your talking about, they can relay the required info to your current dealer.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Find another dealer. At the very least if you find one that knows what your talking about, they can relay the required info to your current dealer.
Or contact Nissan Customer services and raise an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
If you don't have the update you'll lose the 9th bar sooner and the warranty repair will come around quicker.
Then the dealer will have to look at it.
I think if you take it to the dealer with warranty, first thing Nissan will ask them to do is check and upgrade the LBC.

If dealer can’t, Nissan will.

No way you are getting a new pack just like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,227 Posts

Well sadly this is the last update above for my leaf which is now with its new owner, but it gives me a chance to start posting on the other halfs 40kwh leaf 😊

It needs a few rapids and some long runs as it's just a short run car and most of the time doesn't need more than 2 charges a week, mainly as preheating is used(I think she's cold blooded but don't tell her that 🙈)
So if lockdown ever eases we can take some trips out in it but it does her well 😊👍

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well our car arrived last week but have to wait for our home charger so not using it to full potential at the moment. Husband has so far had 3 drives to his new job and taken the petrol car every time! I've found the unpredictability of the range meter quite frightening. It seems to drop very quickly on relatively short journeys so I'm already getting range anxiety for his commute. Zap map calculates that he wont need a charge to get there and back taking into account driving speed and elevation. Guess we will just have to bite the bullet and give it a go.
I was wondering, when I am eventually set up on Octopus Go 12 -4 am tariff and have a home charger, can I set the timer for it to charge from 12am until full charge, and then also get it to preheat at say 7am ready for husband departing at 7.15am? Trying to avoid him running down the battery with lots of AC and heater but don't know whether you can set pre heat when it's on timer more or indeed set two different timers in effect.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Well our car arrived last week but have to wait for our home charger so not using it to full potential at the moment. Husband has so far had 3 drives to his new job and taken the petrol car every time! I've found the unpredictability of the range meter quite frightening. It seems to drop very quickly on relatively short journeys so I'm already getting range anxiety for his commute. Zap map calculates that he wont need a charge to get there and back taking into account driving speed and elevation. Guess we will just have to bite the bullet and give it a go.
I was wondering, when I am eventually set up on Octopus Go 12 -4 am tariff and have a home charger, can I set the timer for it to charge from 12am until full charge, and then also get it to preheat at say 7am ready for husband departing at 7.15am? Trying to avoid him running down the battery with lots of AC and heater but don't know whether you can set pre heat when it's on timer more or indeed set two different timers in effect.
You can set the start time to 0:00 and assuming you leave it plugged in, the. Preheating will pull the power from the mains.

We have a dumb charger and using smart cable - OhmeEV.. the cable disconnects the car and I'm hoping they add preheating support soon.

Range depends on so many factors. Driving style makes a big difference. Pump up the tyres, check the battery health, drive over 70mph

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

1161 - 1180 of 1212 Posts