Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1181 - 1200 of 1212 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well our car arrived last week but have to wait for our home charger so not using it to full potential at the moment. Husband has so far had 3 drives to his new job and taken the petrol car every time! I've found the unpredictability of the range meter quite frightening. It seems to drop very quickly on relatively short journeys so I'm already getting range anxiety for his commute. Zap map calculates that he wont need a charge to get there and back taking into account driving speed and elevation. Guess we will just have to bite the bullet and give it a go.
I was wondering, when I am eventually set up on Octopus Go 12 -4 am tariff and have a home charger, can I set the timer for it to charge from 12am until full charge, and then also get it to preheat at say 7am ready for husband departing at 7.15am? Trying to avoid him running down the battery with lots of AC and heater but don't know whether you can set pre heat when it's on timer more or indeed set two different timers in effect.
Your car shouldn't struggle with a 50 mile round trip. How fast is the range dropping? The indicated range is only a guess, and not a very good one so it's better to ignore it anyway and just look at the % charge left.

You can use the granny charger until your charge point is fitted. For 50 miles a day a 7-8 hour charge on the granny charger will be enough. A full charge from empty would only about 12 hours.

You can set the charge timer with a start time and no end time and then it will start charging at the set time and carry on until it's full or you unplug it. You set the pre-heat timer for the time you want to leave and it will start heating about half an hour earlier.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Your car shouldn't struggle with a 50 mile round trip. How fast is the range dropping? The indicated range is only a guess, and not a very good one so it's better to ignore it anyway and just look at the % charge left.

You can use the granny charger until your charge point is fitted. For 50 miles a day a 7-8 hour charge on the granny charger will be enough. A full charge from empty would only about 12 hours.

You can set the charge timer with a start time and no end time and then it will start charging at the set time and carry on until it's full or you unplug it. You set the pre-heat timer for the time you want to leave and it will start heating about half an hour earlier.
OK stupid question but where is the percentage charge remaining indicated? Do I have to scroll through some menu functions? So far I've really only driven it around our rural area so sometimes you hit an uphill section at 60mph which it doesn't like and with the weather at the moment I keep putting the windscreen fan off and then switching it off as soon as it clears. I'm sure my nerves will settle with time!

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, Outlander PHEV
2,398 Posts
On the right side there are 4 small switches - one with two squares.. press that a few times

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
I was wondering, when I am eventually set up on Octopus Go 12 -4 am tariff and have a home charger, can I set the timer for it to charge from 12am until full charge, and then also get it to preheat at say 7am ready for husband departing at 7.15am? Trying to avoid him running down the battery with lots of AC and heater but don't know whether you can set pre heat when it's on timer more or indeed set two different timers in effect.
Yes, you can do exactly that. You have three choices with the charge timer:

1) Start time only set - the car will start charging at that time and keep charging until finished no matter how long it takes.

2) Start and end time set - the car will start charging at the start time and if hasn't finished by the end time it will stop even though it hasn't finished.

3) End time only set - the car will calculate how long charging is going to take based on what charge it already has and work out how much earlier it should start charging to meet your target end time. Usually it finishes a little before that time so that it always reaches 100%.

I use option 3 because I don't have a night time tariff and just want to delay charging as long as possible for battery health reasons however in your case I would recommend option 1 - just set the start timer to 12am and leave the end time blank to ensure you always get a full charge. If you only have a 3kW onboard charger and do a reasonably high mileage it's doubtful that all of your charging would fit in the 4 hour window (it would with a 6kW charger) however as much as possible of the charging will fit in your cheap tariff hours.

It's important to note that once the charge timer is enabled for any day of the week any days where the timer is not set will not charge automatically. I actually do this on purpose on Saturday and Sunday by leaving those two blank so that even though I plug the car in on Friday night it won't charge until the early hours of Monday morning unless I manually override it.

I typically still have around 60 miles range left after coming home from work and unless we're going on a day trip that is plenty for running about getting groceries etc so no point charging up to 100% and leaving it sitting near 100% for two days..

If you have the charge timer configured and want to charge immediately just press the charge override button (the second from the top right next to the door with the clock symbol) before you get out of the car and it will start charging immediately if you plug in within 15 minutes. Or if you're already plugged in and the timer is stopping the charging just press the button and it will start then. You can also override the charge timer from the phone app to start charging immediately.

The climate control timer is completely separate and can be set for a totally different time - it's a "departure" timer so set it for a few minutes before you leave. It will turn the heater on about 30 minutes before the set departure time and turn it off exactly at the departure time. The climate control timer will only work if the car is plugged in.

If you start remote climate control using the phone app it will come on immediately and run for 15 minutes if unplugged or up to 2 hours if plugged in. (There is actually the option to schedule a single one off delayed start in the app as well) The app is the only way to do preheating if the car is not plugged in. (Other than just turning the car on normally with the key and sitting in it, since you can't lock the car and leave it while its turned on)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, you can do exactly that. You have three choices with the charge timer:

1) Start time only set - the car will start charging at that time and keep charging until finished no matter how long it takes.

2) Start and end time set - the car will start charging at the start time and if hasn't finished by the end time it will stop even if it hasn't finished.

3) End time only set - the car will calculate how long charging is going to take based on what charge it already has and work out how much earlier it should start charging to meet your target end time. Usually it finishes a little before that time so that it always reaches 100%.

I use option 3 because I don't have a night time tariff and just want to delay charging as long as possible for battery health reasons however in your case I would recommend option 1 - just set the start timer to 12am and leave the end time blank to ensure you always get a full charge. If you only have a 3kW onboard charger and do a reasonably high mileage it's doubtful that all of your charging would fit in the 4 hour window (it would with a 6kW charger) however as much as possible of the charging will fit in your cheap tariff hours.

It's important to note that once the charge timer is enabled for any day of the week any days where the timer is not set will not charge automatically. I actually do this on purpose on Saturday and Sunday by leaving those two blank so that even though I plug the car in on Friday night it won't charge until the early hours of Monday morning unless I manually override it.

I typically still have around 60 miles range left after coming home from work and unless we're going on a day trip that is plenty for running about getting groceries etc so no point charging up to 100% and leaving it sitting near 100% for two days..

If you have the charge timer configured and want to charge immediately just press the charge override button (the second from the top right next to the door with the clock symbol) before you get out of the car and it will start charging immediately if you plug in within 15 minutes. Or if you're already plugged in and the timer is stopping the charging just press the button and it will start then. You can also override the charge timer from the phone app to start charging now.

The climate control timer is completely separate and can be set for a totally different time - it's a "departure" timer so set it for a few minutes before you leave. It will turn the heater on about 30 minutes before the set departure time and turn it off exactly at the departure time.
thanks - yes we do have the 6kw on board charger hence why getting the Go tariff is so attractive.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
thanks - yes we do have the 6kw on board charger hence why getting the Go tariff is so attractive.
The 6kW should be able to charge to full in 4 hours from nearly empty. I'd still recommend leaving the end time not set just in case though if range is a concern, so it can always go to 100%. If a few minutes of charging fall outside the cheap time period it's not the end of the world. The last 30 minutes to hour of charging is typically very slow and/or balancing so not much is consumed in the last hour anyway.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
The 6kW should be able to charge to full in 4 hours from nearly empty. I'd still recommend leaving the end time not set just in case though, if range is a concern, so it can always go to 100%. If a few minutes of charging fall outside the cheap time period it's not the end of the world. The last 30 minutes to hour of charging is typically very slow and/or balancing so not much is consumed in the last hour anyway.
How does end time setting work with balancing which often takes not than an hour?

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
How does end time setting work with balancing which often takes not than an hour?
If you set an end time only, the estimated charge time you see on the dashboard (or in the app) for the current state of charge is exactly how much earlier than the set end time it will begin charging.

This includes plenty of time for balancing so the battery does still balance fully if you use end time only mode.

However if you set both a start and end time and the end time cuts off charging early then I can only assume the battery will not be balanced.

Setting both start and end time is probably a bad idea in most cases - I would use either start time only or end time only.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
The estimated charge time you see on the dashboard (or in the app) for the current state of charge is exactly how much earlier than the set end time that it will begin charging.

It includes plenty of time for balancing so the battery does still balance fully if you use end time only mode.
I wonder why @Ohme EV Chargers can not figure out how to support balancing in that case. The API reports that value too

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 30kwh Tekna (2016)
123 Posts
Not sure I am understand how this works but... I have now less than 62% SOH and still 9 bars on the dash? Is there anything else that shows me what's happening or I can use as an indicator for how long before my dashboard will show 8 bars?

·
Registered
24 Posts
If my calculations are correct you should have lost your 9th bar at 62% SOH. The 12th bar will go at 15% loss and then 7.5% for each bar there after , so in theory you should have lost the 9th at 62.5% SOH . Hopefully it hangs on for a bit longer!On the plus side your pack looks well balanced .

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've heard it's all a matter of time, once it has spent a preset number of days under 62%, it'll drop...

·
Registered
404 Posts
We've just clicked over 58k in our LEAF30, 15 plate so one of the first December batch. Still on 12 bars, although I’ve been expecting it to go anytime for the past 6 months or so. Charge daily on the granny charger to 80ish% and once a week to 100%. Rarely use rapids, just a handful of times a year when travelling further for holidays.
Haven’t got leafspy, but have a feeling from what other have said that we might have a week cell(s). When we get to around 40% the percentage drops much more quickly for a few %, the steadies out again. Will ask the garage to investigate when it goes in for its service soon.
Pretty happy with it really, and it still does exactly what we need it to which is the main thing. Nothings gone wrong with it, and think we'll be keeping it for a good while yet.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Do you know if you have had the BMS update?
No Axel's car does not have the updated battery firmware it still has 4A. And Nissan have point blank refused to update it in fact flat out denied that a firmware update is even available for the car.

This was discussed in another thread as well as earlier in this thread. Advice at the time from those of us discussing it was to reject the car as not fit for purpose during the initial rejection window but for whatever reason he decided not to and is now stuck with a car with 62% SoH and Nissan unwilling to do anything about it or even concede that there is anything wrong with the car. (Deplorable behaviour on Nissan's part)

As much of a hassle as it would be, I absolutely would have rejected the car under the same circumstances and it's unfortunate that didn't happen.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Unbelievable such a great car but such bad service from Nissan
I know some people are very pleased with some of there main dealers and that is great! But personally as I work for one(not nissan!) I feel that money is more important than customer care which is a shame and that is the only reason I will not be buying a new Nissan unfortunately! I hope you get it sorted one way or the other .
Hopefully new pack would be nice .

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 30kwh Tekna (2016)
123 Posts
I took a punt and assumed the bars would drop, especially after comparing it with my friend's Leaf. His battery is on its way from Japan but my bars are still showing 9 while my SOH is much lower than his now.

I hope that they'll drop before Christmas so Santa can bring me a new pack too! 3:=)

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
I took a punt and assumed the bars would drop, especially after comparing it with my friend's Leaf. His battery is on its way from Japan but my bars are still showing 9 while my SOH is much lower than his now.

I hope that they'll drop before Christmas so Santa can bring me a new pack too! 3:=)
I believe that there is a time factor involved in bars dropping as well - the percentage has to be within a certain range for a period of time or mileage (not sure which) so that the value dipping temporarily and recovering won't trigger a change in bars. This is probably because the reported SoH on a Leaf can fluctuate up and down quite a bit.

If you do manage to get a new battery under warranty I would fight hard to make sure the firmware is updated as well.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I believe that there is a time factor involved in bars dropping as well - the percentage has to be within a certain range for a period of time or mileage (not sure which) so that the value dipping temporarily and recovering won't trigger a change in bars. This is probably because the reported SoH on a Leaf can fluctuate up and down quite a bit.

If you do manage to get a new battery under warranty I would fight hard to make sure the firmware is updated as well.
My worry about this is that they may only update the firmware which will increase the reported SOH and mean you don't qualify for a warranty battery replacement. They only need to get back above 9 bars.

1181 - 1200 of 1212 Posts