Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The best and the worst of the ID3 all in the space of a couple of hours:

3:30pm: Starting with the worst... Driving along a straight 40mph road, a pedestrian walking on the left pavement in the same direction as me (so with his back to me) - suddenly the car slams the brakes on and the assist screen shows a motorbike. The car thought the pedestrian on the pavement was a motorbike in front! 😱

5pm: And then the best... Driving along a winding A road in the dark with the matrix LED lights on auto full beam. There are 3 cars in front of me and various oncoming cars - I get the best lighting possible and nobody else gets dazzled 😎

The worst has been reported to my dealer and to VW UK.

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
720 Posts
The best and the worst of the ID3 all in the space of a couple of hours:

3:30pm: Starting with the worst... Driving along a straight 40mph road, a pedestrian walking on the left pavement in the same direction as me (so with his back to me) - suddenly the car slams the brakes on and the assist screen shows a motorbike. The car thought the pedestrian on the pavement was a motorbike in front! 😱

5pm: And then the best... Driving along a winding A road in the dark with the matrix LED lights on auto full beam. There are 3 cars in front of me and various oncoming cars - I get the best lighting possible and nobody else gets dazzled 😎

The worst has been reported to my dealer and to VW UK.
We had ‘the worst’ with a stationary car on the left. Anchors came on and red light bar. Luckily no one around us.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
3,116 Posts
We had ‘the worst’ with a stationary car on the left. Anchors came on and red light bar. Luckily no one around us.
Can you tell me which bits of the assist system you think caused the problem?
I'll see if I can switch mine off.

Already disabled the lane assist.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
8,472 Posts
Can you tell me which bits of the assist system you think caused the problem?
I'll see if I can switch mine off.

Already disabled the lane assist.
It can only be front assist, so turn that off.

Thing is, I don’t think any of these systems are infallible, and false alarms will happen.

My old e-Golf used to have a problem with a chevron sign on a bend when the sun was shining on it, I got ready every time I drove past it!

·
Registered
482 Posts
This is precisely why I'm happy that the MG5 won't have these 'safety' features. Automatic braking is dangerous unless absolutely flawlessly implemented, which it isn't on any vehicle I know of.

·
Premium Member
8,472 Posts
This is precisely why I'm happy that the MG5 won't have these 'safety' features. Automatic braking is dangerous unless absolutely flawlessly implemented, which it isn't on any vehicle I know of.
Whilst I take your point, if you’re paying attention as you should be, it can be overridden easily enough and without any danger. However, if you’re not paying attention, then it might avert a very serious incident.

They’re active safety features to assist a driver, not do it for them.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Front assist in my Golf GTE saved me from a having very serious accident.

I was approaching a roundabout in the right-hand lane (slowing down from a dual carriageway) and noticed the roundabout was clear from the right, however the person in my lane decided they were in the wrong lane and stopped dead!, when the lane was clear to go. I didn’t immediately spot this as I was looking to the right side of the roundabout but my Golf certainly spotted the car in front and performed an emergency stop. I as good as crapped myself, was a heavy stop but the car did its job admirably. It Saved an accident if not my pride.

·
Registered
Kona EV, 64kW Premium Nav 2019
403 Posts
Yikes!
Makes me slightly relieved I canned my order and decided to stick with our Kona EV. Never had anything like that in 18k miles so far......the auto braking has worked as I would expect.
Don’t really want to be turning those systems off...having had adaptive cruise for over 80k miles in my ICE Volvo XC60, with auto braking, I think they are a real boon to safety. Never had spurious halts in that either.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,871 Posts
Front assist in my Golf GTE saved me from a having very serious accident.

I was approaching a roundabout in the right-hand lane (slowing down from a dual carriageway) and noticed the roundabout was clear from the right, however the person in my lane decided they were in the wrong lane and stopped dead!, when the lane was clear to go. I didn’t immediately spot this as I was looking to the right side of the roundabout but my Golf certainly spotted the car in front and performed an emergency stop. I as good as crapped myself, was a heavy stop but the car did its job admirably. It Saved an accident if not my pride.
I had a similar experience in my GTE. The car in front slowed rapidly to turn right. Maybe I wasn’t paying attention. My car did an emergency brake.

You have to consider: how many false alarms are you prepared to put up with for the one time it might stop you having an accident?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,913 Posts
You have to consider: how many false alarms are you prepared to put up with for the one time it might stop you having an accident?
All of them. In the 4 years of GTE ownership, I have 2 saves due to emergency braking. In one case I might have been able to spot and stop on time, but both times my attention was raised due to the alarm/braking from the car.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
3,116 Posts
I suppose that you have to balance the accidents it might save against the accidents it might cause by getting you rear ended.

So far the balance seems to be in favour of the system on the GTE at least.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,913 Posts
I suppose that you have to balance the accidents it might save against the accidents it might cause by getting you rear ended.
Not a difficult choice to be honest. Simply because I still haven't been rear-ended once. And, I don't have the statistics to prove it, but I haven't heard from anyone that had been.

So, from my experience it is Saves 2: Accidents 0. And if I have to count the false positives, it is probably Saves 1000s: Accidents 0. As I said not a difficult choice.

·
Premium Member
8,472 Posts
I’m over 3k miles into my ID.3, so far it’s behaved impeccably with regard to brake assist etc.

The ID.3 seems to be certainly getting a lot of talk on here, I guess being a new model and a first BEV for many people, but I keep reading about faults that aren’t really faults.

Somebody has commented that it reads speed limit signs on slip roads, but are VW responsible for where such signs are placed now?

In the road works on the A1 north of Doncaster, there’s a massive 50 sign at the start of the off ramp, hard for any such system to miss. The car flashes up a ‘50 detected’ message, and if on ACC starts to gently slow down to that speed unless you move your right foot a few millimetres to override it. It’s that paying attention thing again.

The ID.3 has niggles, for sure, it’s clear that there is still some work to be done with regard to software etc but it’s safety systems don’t appear to be any better or worse than any other car with them that I can tell.

If you don’t like active safety systems, you’ll probably not like the ID.3.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
3,116 Posts
I’m over 3k miles into my ID.3, so far it’s behaved impeccably with regard to brake assist etc.

The ID.3 seems to be certainly getting a lot of talk on here, I guess being a new model and a first BEV for many people, but I keep reading about faults that aren’t really faults.

Somebody has commented that it reads speed limit signs on slip roads, but are VW responsible for where such signs are placed now?

In the road works on the A1 north of Doncaster, there’s a massive 50 sign at the start of the off ramp, hard for any such system to miss. The car flashes up a ‘50 detected’ message, and if on ACC starts to gently slow down to that speed unless you move your right foot a few millimetres to override it. It’s that paying attention thing again.

The ID.3 has niggles, for sure, it’s clear that there is still some work to be done with regard to software etc but it’s safety systems don’t appear to be any better or worse than any other car with them that I can tell.

I have to confess that I much prefer the car to do what I tell it rather than having it tell me what to do. It just taking over and doing what it thinks best is very annoying.

However all new cars have gone this way to get their five star NCAP rating.

So I will have to adapt. I think that I will turn off the lane assist and leave the front collision assist on. Or maybe leave it all on and adapt more.

I used to be undecided but now I am not so sure!

·
Registered
ID.3 1st (0783)
242 Posts
I'm with Tooks here, as another e-Golf > ID.3er, I've really had nothing from the ID.3 that's as intrusive as the e-Golf was. I really don't mind a safety system having a 'false positive' and slamming on the brakes, indeed humans do it all the time. Having extra 'eyes' open for safety is no bad thing. Even more so at the end of a long late drive in the dark, wet and fog.

Also all the data is logged and accessible to insurance companies/police if you have accident. I'd be amazed if people who turn off safety systems don't end up footing the bill/responsibility if they have an accident.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
3,116 Posts
I'm with Tooks here, as another e-Golf > ID.3er, I've really had nothing from the ID.3 that's as intrusive as the e-Golf was. I really don't mind a safety system having a 'false positive' and slamming on the brakes, indeed humans do it all the time. Having extra 'eyes' open for safety is no bad thing. Even more so at the end of a long late drive in the dark, wet and fog.

Also all the data is logged and accessible to insurance companies/police if you have accident. I'd be amazed if people who turn off safety systems don't end up footing the bill/responsibility if they have an accident.
Good point!

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
720 Posts

This I disagree with.
On this forum recently we have had reports of inappropriate front collision assist braking due to mistaking a pedestrian for a motorbike, cruise control braking heavily due to a car in an adjacent lane, screen demisting failure, rear light failure then resetting after the car sat idle, numerous false flags including air bag warnings, people being locked out the car or boot, 12v battery failures.
This IS worse due to unacceptable software. Software that seems to suffer from random corruption of the car’s functionality.

·
Premium Member
8,472 Posts
This I disagree with.
On this forum recently we have had reports of inappropriate front collision assist braking due to mistaking a pedestrian for a motorbike, cruise control braking heavily due to a car in an adjacent lane, screen demisting failure, rear light failure then resetting after the car sat idle, numerous false flags including air bag warnings, people being locked out the car or boot, 12v battery failures.
This IS worse due to unacceptable software. Software that seems to suffer from random corruption of the car’s functionality.
I was referring generally to the cars active safety systems.

No such system is infallible, anybody who says they are either doesn’t know anything about such systems, or they’re lying.

I have no blinkered view of my own car and the ID.3 is not a finished product, indeed check my signature.

We all knew what we were getting into when we purchased one, or at least I hope we did.

Cars with these sort of driver aids will always have scenarios where they are presented with a situation where they understand less well what’s going on than we do.

The issues being raised are self selecting in nature, owners come on here and share their anecdote, sometimes that’s useful and sometimes it isn’t.

My Sister picked up a brand new car once, on the drive down the M6 home it suddenly started raining, and the wipers failed on the first stroke. She ended up hitting the barriers, and fortunately came to a halt on the hard shoulder. Stuff happens, and always has.

Maybe we’re going down a rabbit hole we shouldn’t be with car safety systems, but much like the Tesla debate around the same subject, maybe the systems have killed some people but it’s more likely they’ve saved many more. It’s a complex area.

The weak point in any car is still the nut behind the steering wheel, and that applies just as much when your car tries to intervene on your behalf as one with dumb safety features.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
It would help to know whether these alarming false-braking incidents are all on the early 0583 s'ware, or on the M2.0 0783 (I may have the numbers wrong but you know what I mean).

I've only done about 100 miles in ID.3 so far, but it's got M2.0 from day 1, and I've had no front-alert problems. This is almost all motorway driving, generally going past lots of vehicles as have been doing precise 70 in bad weather tests. I'm happy to keep front alert on, but I dislike the lane-assist so that's getting turned off at the very start of trips from now on.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts