Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Zappi, Podpoint, Homesmart. That's after 2 mins googling. So, which to even get quotes for? Far better to pick the brains of you fine folk on here.
I've just put a deposit down on a 2018 Leaf Tekna 40kwh. I'm looking for a nice looking homecharger. Podpoint 7kw looks ok, but I'm open to all advice. I have 13 solar panels, no battery storage, which on a sunny day generate 2000-4000kw. I'd plan to charge mainly at weekends. If I could charge at around 2000w through a normal plug, that'd be free, but a charge point would draw the extra from the grid, and cost more than a home charge point?
Or can you set your 'Pod Point' (or similar) to charge slower?
I do need a charge point fitted so I can charge faster on occasions.
Then there's Vehicle to Home chargers. Is it available, is it waay too expensive, is it worth it?
Any advice welcome, and thanks in advance, Carl.

·
Registered
Leaf e+
199 Posts
Not a solve for who to go with, but some more options....

Have a look at V2G options too for Leaf to see if they would suit you / work with PV.
Electric Nation
EDF
Octopus Energy

I did a lot of investigating around this when I got my Leaf with OVO (who are not taking on new participants now), however at the time they could not guarantee my exports, and there was no facility to 'load match' my house consumption without exporting to grid - it meant I could not guarantee the costs with their higher than av. market p/kWh cost. That might be changing now as the program develops? Robert Llewellyn also briefly talks about V2G with his solar / power walls on YouTube.

As you have a good amount solar generation, from most reading I have done - it seems that Zappi can handle this the best, particularly as it can read from multiple CT clamps to dynamically adjust the charge speed to match your solar generation, so you would do well to investigate further there.

·
Registered
219 Posts
As you have solar panels I agree Zappi as you can tell this to charge from solar first before taking from grid. I have an Ohme wall charger and they said looking in future to have this feature as a software update but I don't have solar.

·
Registered
31 Posts
EO Smart Home charger can be used with solar too. You add a CT Clamp around the solar feed, wired to the EO Hub. It uses that to measure what the solar is generating, and then will charge the car using that, subject to the minimum charge rate you set in their app - the default is 6amps. It will pull from the grid to maintain this minimum rate of charge if your solar drops below it. And you can schedule in the app so that solar is only used at a certain time of the day.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
271 Posts
I have solar, but the decision making outcome I came to is that if you are signed up to feed your excess into the grid with the smart export guarantee (I am, Bulb, 5.38p /Kwh) and if you have a time of use tariff using a smart meter ( I do, 5p per kwh at night for 4 hours on Octopus Go), then a zappi feeding in your solar excess doesn't actually save you any money, it just changes the timing of your charge.

So I am going for an Ohme, to maximise my potential for benefitting from off peak charging rates, should I decide to move to Octopus's agile tariff when the time is right.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have solar, but the decision making outcome I came to is that if you are signed up to feed your excess into the grid with the smart export guarantee (I am, Bulb, 5.38p /Kwh) and if you have a time of use tariff using a smart meter ( I do, 5p per kwh at night for 4 hours on Octopus Go), then a zappi feeding in your solar excess doesn't actually save you any money, it just changes the timing of your charge.

So I am going for an Ohme, to maximise my potential for benefitting from off peak charging rates, should I decide to move to Octopus's agile tariff when the time is right.
Unfortunately, I don’t get a feed in as the panels were free, and the installers get the excess, I just get free up to the panels output being lower than my consumption. V2G would mean I could get money back. Zappi would mean I could in theory charge mainly at weekend for free, which I could do with plug in, but I’d have to keep an eye on the weather.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Not a solve for who to go with, but some more options....

Have a look at V2G options too for Leaf to see if they would suit you / work with PV.
Electric Nation
I am due a call with Electric Nation this week but unless I've misread the T&Cs, it is a terrible deal:
You have to be plugged in from 6pm to 5am for 15 days a month to get any incentive payment. No being late home from work or going out in the evening.
The incentive is zero from installation until Feb next year but you still need to be plugged in to avoid being removed from the trial.
After that it's 66p per day (less if you manage to plug in for more than 15 days)
After a year (earning £120), you have to pay £250 to keep the charger
If you export electricity that you bought, you give it to them free of charge.
If you do have a life any you can't plug in all evening for at least 10 days per month, you face being removed from the trial and an early exit fee of up to £2,000.

·
Registered
Leaf e+
199 Posts
I am due a call with Electric Nation this week but unless I've misread the T&Cs, it is a terrible deal:
You have to be plugged in from 6pm to 5am for 15 days a month to get any incentive payment. No being late home from work or going out in the evening.
The incentive is zero from installation until Feb next year but you still need to be plugged in to avoid being removed from the trial.
After that it's 66p per day (less if you manage to plug in for more than 15 days)
After a year (earning £120), you have to pay £250 to keep the charger
If you export electricity that you bought, you give it to them free of charge.
If you do have a life any you can't plug in all evening for at least 10 days per month, you face being removed from the trial and an early exit fee of up to £2,000.
Eugh OVO were not that strict, but it does all seem rather money grabbing... I think OVO let you keep the charger after the trial for £1 or something like that... wonder how Octopus fairs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
You are lucky enough to have solar and want a quality unit ?.
I would strongly consider a Zappi.
I don’t speak from experience but they do make a quality unit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi OP!

We are a family run business that prides ourselves on customer service and reliability.

All the charge points provided by us are eligible for:

✅ The OLEV grant of £350
✅ Energy Saving Trust (EST) grant of £300 applicable to Scottish residents.

❗❗Scottish Residents❗❗Will pay our quoted price but after installation, you will receive £300 grant funding from EST directly to your account.

🧨🧨Exclusive pricing for SPEAKEV members. Just quote SPEAKEV20 🧨🧨

For the following TETHERED chargepoints supplied and installed :

🔵 OHME intelligent wall charger - £600
🔴 Mini Pro by EO - £700
⚫ Zappi v2 - £750

Visit us on EV Home Charge Install Home - EV Home Charge Install

1 - 12 of 12 Posts