Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After closly watching the London to Edinburgh trip yesterday, and seeing people have a bit of an argument on twitter. I thought I would post my thoughts as a potential leaf buyer...

There is a difference in what people want in terms of range, and what people _need_.

So I want a car that can drive to any point in Britain on a single charge. (who doesn't? but I guess that figure might be "200" miles, or "400" or whatever).

But I _need_ to be able to do:
6 miles to get to work (12) there and back.
3 miles to get to the local supermarket (6 miles there an back)
Do 10 miles to the local shopping centre (20 miles there and back).

I have some medium length journeys, every now and then going to Milton Keynes and back in a day.
So do-able with rapid chargers.

The longest journey I would do is to my parents (250) miles. With 4 stops to recharge with an EV instead of 2 in an ICE

I've been to Edinburgh twice, once using the trains, and another using an internal flight.
It's actually so far away, I wouldn't want to drive to it!

What I saw yesterday was that the rapid chargers that I would need to use for my medium / long journeys work ok. Stopping 4 times instead of two for my longest journey is not a problem for me at all.

If I was to take my family on a holiday I would rent an ICE, just to get more storage space. (Young baby we can't fit everything into our ICE at the moment!)

So in short:
1) It gave me more confidence in the rapid chargers.
2) It made me realise that there is too much battery for what I need in most journeys, and that if you could get a leaf with some of the battery cells taken out, that could reduce the price, and make it more affordable. (I would then use an ICE for medium / long journeys).
3)If i needed to get to Edinburgh I would still fly (The enviroment can take one more hit for me can't it? :) )

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
That said, babies are quite small. We had one baby, then later one baby and a five-year-old and owned MINIs... always fit fine. :)

Then again, I do try to take a bit of an easy, minimalist approach to most things.

With regards "the big trip" and its impact, for me it was great to see a drive like this happen "live". I know that it can be done, I know that is HAS been done, but seeing it live and being able to "talk" to the people doing it makes it much more real, and feel much more attainable.

Hell, I used to have to stop multiple times on any long trip when I had crappy old Minis, still loved the travels I undertook, and this, by comparison, is a breeze! Inspired me to do more long journeys, so that's good!

·
Registered
167 Posts
My needs were very similar to yours. I eventually bought an EREV (Ampera) in order to be free of range anxiety and be able to travel the 100 - 400 mile distances without concerns. At 10 months of use I have done approximately 7000 miles on battery and 3000miles on petrol. With destination charging becoming more readily available I would expect my next years petrol mileage to reduce noticeably.

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
@LK13
I am with you, thats why I bought a Volt.
When Tesla release the 200+ mile model E or I find £75K down the back of the sofa for a model S then for my needs a EREV was the way to go.
9000 miles @ 135mpg, I just wish we could charge at the fast chargers.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,508 Posts
That is why I went for the Ampera, Daily commute of 100+ miles with no charging facilities at the other end, visits to friends and relatives of between 54 & 110 miles, again with no charging readily available (2 mile walk from the nearest charging point from a couple of them) so I needed a back-up to be permanently available. BMW i3 REX might have done but I would probably end up refuelling every day/second day and cost a lot more once I get a similar spec.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
If you want a car look at the Ampera/Volt or BMW i3 REX. If you want a challenge whenever you drive more than ~80 miles consider a Leaf. If you have any doubt ask yourself why several Leaf owners purchased the Ampera/Volt as their second car and why so many Gen 1 Leaf owners are buying the i3 REX now.

The rapid charging network really is not reliable and once people start queuing and paying a fee for charging things will turn ugly.... imagine how you'll feel when you arrive at the services for a ~20 minute top-up and a Model S is charging for two hours!

Here's one drivers real world experience from yesterday... he's just part of the silent majority who don't use social media;

Unreliable Ecotricity Chademo Charging With i-miev (Ion)

I've never had a problem charging because I have a ~200 mile range BEV and don't rely on the 'rapid' charging networks. I would have purchased an Ampera/Volt if I could not afford the Tesla. My partner is buying a BMW i3 REX simply because her time is important to her and she wants a car not a science project :)

In three years time we will buy a Tesla Gen 3 and occasionally use the Supercharger network... IMO only Tesla can deliver a 'rapid' charging experience that's close to what we all want.

If you stand back and think about this then IMO ~400 miles in ~11 hours with 10 stops is not something most of us will ever want to do... and that's if it's even working :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts