Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whitby doesn't have a rapid charger. There's plenty of market towns in North Yorkshire smaller than Whitby that do have at least one. And Whitby every year gets more important as a tourist destination!

Looking on Zap map I see underpopulated Norfolk is splattered with rapid chargers. Villages, not towns, I've never heard of have them. How is this explained?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Whitby population 13,000

Porthcawl has a population of 16,000, and does have a Welsh Gov charger on the way, but no chargers for now. It's nowhere near as geographically isolated as Whitby though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whitby's population trebles in the summer and at weekends almost all year round probably at least doubles. The Welsh government you say is arranging something. The authority here, Scarborough Borough Council says there's no demand for rapid chargers!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Whitby's population trebles in the summer and at weekends almost all year round probably at least doubles. The Welsh government you say is arranging something. The authority here, Scarborough Borough Council says there's no demand for rapid chargers!
Porthcawl is a similar seaside, tourist town with similar population trends.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Bicester population 33,000
Salisbury population 45,000
Dover population 31,000
Spalding population 36,000

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,900 Posts
Perhaps the logic is that Whitby is a 'destination' when viewed as a tourist orientated town rather than purely residential. As such, then the usual long stay destination chargers would be more relevant. Also, that many people staying at cottages and the like would use leads from the property. Whitby cannot be regarded as a stopping off place for cars passing through on longer road trips and thus would not require Rapid service. A case can be made for cars leaving at the end of a holiday, but once again they will probably be able to fill overnight at their accommodation.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
2,041 Posts
It's a really blinkered position, given the number of visitors to the Scarborough Borough Council area, and the reliance on that tourism, there's basically nothing after Malton heading east.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
859 Posts
Perhaps the logic is that Whitby is a 'destination' when viewed as a tourist orientated town rather than purely residential. As such, then the usual long stay destination chargers would be more relevant. Also, that many people staying at cottages and the like would use leads from the property. Whitby cannot be regarded as a stopping off place for cars passing through on longer road trips and thus would not require Rapid service. A case can be made for cars leaving at the end of a holiday, but once again they will probably be able to fill overnight at their accommodation.
I can see that point of view, but part of the issue with Whitby is the lack of options travelling to and from as well. Travelling across the A64 and then up to Whitby, there is only a BP Pulse in a pub car park in Pickering, a couple in Malton and other than that, nothing until you get back to York.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
3,107 Posts
Sorry, no!

A large proportion of the tourist trade in Whitby is day trippers. The lack of availability of rapid chargers will eventually reduce that trade measurably. I expect that the penny will drop in the tourist office one day.

You try going to Whitby on a sunny summer weekend and you will see what I mean.

·
Registered
Volkwagen ID3 1st Edition
115 Posts
There's a couple of instavolts just opened just outside Scarborough in a MacDonalds (not showing on zap-map yet). However we normally go up to Scarborough//Whitby once per year but it's no coincidence since I've had an EV we've chosen other locations.

·
Registered
e208 with ID3 Pro S Tour ordered
360 Posts
Love Whitby and I am from Yorkshire but this needs fixing and so do all the other charging deserts.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,900 Posts
Sorry, no!

A large proportion of the tourist trade in Whitby is day trippers. The lack of availability of rapid chargers will eventually reduce that trade measurably. I expect that the penny will drop in the tourist office one day.

You try going to Whitby on a sunny summer weekend and you will see what I mean.
But you've just described the perfect place for a series of destination chargers. Day trippers are by definition planning to stay all day. Parked up and plugged in all day would be perfect. But, of course, they would be wary of finding a vacant street or carpark post and arrange to have sufficient charge to get away from there to a Rapid before they arrived.

As we have said numerous times, both Rapids and 7kW chargers are needed to cover all situations. Including residents of Whitby without off road parking.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts