Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Salisbury, pop 40302 has already been mentioned, the rapid charger there has been broken so long that BP pulse have 'disappeared' it from their map.
Tewkesbury, pop 19778
Marlborough, pop 8395

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
8,370 Posts
I used to stay regularly at Burniston near Scarborough and most weekends we were there we’d pop to Whitby for a drink and a walk about.

It was pretty difficult finding a parking space at all at times, never mind one with a charger!

The car park down to the Marina would be ideal for a few rapids and a couple of dozen destination chargers.

I’m sure Instavolt would happily lease a bit of land and make the necessary investment without the council having to spend any money.

So short sighted some councils.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Salisbury has an out of order rapid point. They at least had something.

Bicester has a 22kw point. The most Whitby has is 7kw.
Bicester has an awful lot of destination chargers though, especially the 12 in the Cattle Market car park. Lots of car parks all over Oxfordshire are getting banks of these (some already live, others soon). You are very unlikely to get stuck for a charge around here, but you may have to wait a while.

·
Registered
ID.4 Life Pure
97 Posts
I'll throw in Burnham-On-Sea & Highbridge. 25,000 population and just the 7kW chargers at Tesco. Right on a motorway junction and has plenty of holiday traffic too.

For additional points you have Bridgwater that is 40,000+ that just has a Morrison genie point.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I'll throw in Burnham-On-Sea & Highbridge. 25,000 population and just the 7kW chargers at Tesco. Right on a motorway junction and has plenty of holiday traffic too.

For additional points you have Bridgwater that is 40,000+ that just has a Morrison genie point.
There's rapid chargers only 8 miles away better than Whitby's 20 miles.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,897 Posts
Whitby has a dedicated park and ride just outside the town. Wouldn't that be the perfect place for some visitors destination chargers?
Exactly. And with the well known physical limitations over parking in the town itself, a Rapid down there would instantly be hogged by a self-entitled driver bagging a parking space rather than needing a full charge. And probably leave it plugged in all day rather than leave when full and do battle with the rest of the people roaming around searching for a parking spot. A Rapid at the P&R along with a dozen destination chargers would be the solution.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,604 Posts
Lobby your local councillors and MP.

Emphasise the negative effect on tourism.

Contact local press and radio.

I.e. be proactive.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
857 Posts
Exactly. And with the well known physical limitations over parking in the town itself, a Rapid down there would instantly be hogged by a self-entitled driver bagging a parking space rather than needing a full charge. And probably leave it plugged in all day rather than leave when full and do battle with the rest of the people roaming around searching for a parking spot. A Rapid at the P&R along with a dozen destination chargers would be the solution.
I'd be more than happy with a small bank of Instavolts at the park and ride. It's a lot better than the status quo, where Pickering is the first option. And York being the first option for a charger company I'd actually want to use.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)

Bridgewater has a rapid charger 2 miles away from the town centre!

·
Registered
794 Posts
I actually think a lot of rapids at the park and ride is the way forward with heavy charges for overstaying. the issue for a lot like myself is I can fully charge on 7 kw in 4 hours which isnt long enough to wander around, so a rapid is just over half an hour, so coffee cake unplug and catch bus.
For the town some destination chargers with big charges for overstaying and some rapids are needed, councils have top start stepping up to the mark on this

·
Registered
e208 with ID3 Pro S Tour ordered
349 Posts
I was interested to make a comparison to where I live in SW London - population 61,000. This borough has been dragging its feet over EV infrastructure compared to some parts of London but we still have:
x2 175 kW Shell
x5 175kW MFG being installed right now
x3 50kW Osprey and BP
x20 7kW Podpoint free to use chargers at supermarkets (time restricted to 2 hours). Sainsbury has 16 of those, Tesco 4.
100 Ubitricity 3.5kW lamp post chargers dotted throughout the area were installed in 2021 by the council/Ubictricity. The charge points were installed with financial assistance from the Office for Zero Emission Vehicles (OZEV) working with London’s Go Ultra Low Cities Scheme (GULCS), which is managed by London Councils, Transport for London and supported by the Mayor of London.

We also have free resident parking permits for all EVs.

Clearly you would expect towns with 30,000 to 40,000 population to have considerably more than zero chargers but a lot of the infrastructure is being provided by super markets and traditional fuel providers so perhaps their focus is on areas where EV penetration is highest or some other logic dictates the decisions.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I actually think a lot of rapids at the park and ride is the way forward with heavy charges for overstaying. the issue for a lot like myself is I can fully charge on 7 kw in 4 hours which isnt long enough to wander around, so a rapid is just over half an hour, so coffee cake unplug and catch bus.
For the town some destination chargers with big charges for overstaying and some rapids are needed, councils have top start stepping up to the mark on this
Don't feel guilty about dwelling for a few hours on a destination charger after charging is done if it isn't convenient for you to return, as long as you aren't breaking any rules. The usual idea with them is that you go to your destination, plug in, then do whatever you came to the destination to do, without worrying too much. Great if you can move the instant you're done, of course, but if you are miles away in the centre of the town, it isn't reasonable to expect you to.

Overstay charges, and overstay guilt, should be for rapids only, at least within that kind of timescale. (I'm not saying stay for days on the destination charger, and do check the parking rules as they usually apply to the charging spaces too.)

Kind regards
- Garry

21 - 40 of 80 Posts