Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Zoe ZE50 135 GT Line
750 Posts
East Herts is pretty dire. Ware (16,000) and Hertford (27,000) have 7kW dotted around and the fastest in the area is a free 22kW AC at Aldi in Hertford but not many cars can use it to its full potential, super the the ZOE though! 😁

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
East Herts is pretty dire. Ware (16,000) and Hertford (27,000) have 7kW dotted around and the fastest in the area is a free 22kW AC at Aldi in Hertford but not many cars can use it to its full potential, super the the ZOE though! 😁
You've got a 50kw in Hoddesdon only 3.7 miles from Ware. A little bit further on from Ware in all directions you've got more rapids. Coverage you say is pretty dire. You're lucky.

·
Registered
2020 Zoe ZE50 135 GT Line
750 Posts
You've got a 50kw in Hoddesdon only 3.7 miles from Ware. Also in all directions a little bit further you've got more rapids. You're lucky.
Very true. The unit at Morrisons in Hoddesdon is unreliable, and there’s only the one. If you’re willing to travel further out there are a few in Welwyn and Cheshunt but should you really need to travel to a neighbouring town to refill? East Herts have said they will be installing 7kW charge points in all their public car parks, which is a good thing.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
2,031 Posts
Question is… are we passed the point of this being something councils should be doing? Encouraging, yes… but is the problem nobody wants to install chargers in these locations or the planning process isn’t supporting it?

I guess in the absence of anything the council should step up and do… something. In the case of Scarborough Borough Council they’ll likely cock it up. I notice the destination chargers available in Pickering car parks (different district council) have a four hour limit and you have to pay for parking. If they did that somewhere like Whitby park and ride it would be entirely useless.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I actually think a lot of rapids at the park and ride is the way forward with heavy charges for overstaying. the issue for a lot like myself is I can fully charge on 7 kw in 4 hours which isnt long enough to wander around, so a rapid is just over half an hour, so coffee cake unplug and catch bus.
For the town some destination chargers with big charges for overstaying and some rapids are needed, councils have top start stepping up to the mark on this
The ultimate solution for towns such as Whitby P+R, would be all rapid chargers, thus, as you said, coffee and cake, unplug, get bus. But that won't happen. I suppose we have to remember that the British summer can last anything from a week to 3 months. They won't install rapid chargers for such a small period of time. The rest of the year they would be standing empty.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Porthmadog. Pop c.12000 - and a long way from the nearest rapid (in time taken to get there..)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
The ultimate solution for towns such as Whitby P+R, would be all rapid chargers, thus, as you said, coffee and cake, unplug, get bus. But that won't happen. I suppose we have to remember that the British summer can last anything from a week to 3 months. They won't install rapid chargers for such a small period of time. The rest of the year they would be standing empty.
Whitby is quite busy much of the year. Even in the winter at the weekends there's loads of tourists about.

A lot of people in Whitby think Scarborough Borough Council neglects Whitby as Scarborough and Whitby are rivals for the tourist trade.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Why should the public sector be responsible? The budget is absolutely threadbare, without helping out car drivers and expensive EVs...
To attract more visitors as well as helping out local voters. Also, isn't there money to be made?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Porthmadog. Pop c.12000 - and a long way from the nearest rapid (in time taken to get there..)
Porthmadog is even worse off by distance for rapids than Whitby but it does have 22k chargers, compared with 7kw being the best Whitby can offer.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
857 Posts
To attract more visitors as well as helping out local voters. Also, isn't there money to be made?
Said it before, the local council should have nothing to do with running chargers. Councils are hopeless at most commercial ventures. Their input should start and end with a call to a commercial company such as IV or Osprey inviting them to come and discuss the installation of chargers on their public owned land.

But a forward thinking council would be doing exactly that, because done right, it would cost them nothing and increase the attractiveness of their area.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Whitby is quite busy much of the year. Even in the winter at the weekends there's loads of tourists about.

A lot of people in Whitby think Scarborough Borough Council neglects Whitby as Scarborough and Whitby are rivals for the tourist trade.
We were in Whitby last Thursday. A really sunny day. It was not busy at all. They also have loads of free parking until 1st March and there was plenty of availability. It wouldn't have been logical to park at the P+R. Not sure it was even open.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
We were in Whitby last Thursday. A really sunny day. It was not busy at all. They also have loads of free parking until 1st March and there was plenty of availability. It wouldn't have been logical to park at the P+R. Not sure it was even open.
I said much of the year. It is January.

·
Premium Member
11,924 Posts
Whitby doesn't have a rapid charger. There's plenty of market towns in North Yorkshire smaller than Whitby that do have at least one. And Whitby every year gets more important as a tourist destination!

Looking on Zap map I see underpopulated Norfolk is splattered with rapid chargers. Villages, not towns, I've never heard of have them. How is this explained?
Tell me about it! We did a day trip from our Airbnb (where we couldn't charge) to Whitby last Sept and really needed a charge in our Model 3. We used the 7kW point at Aldi and got bus into town for a few hours. We did buy food and booze at Aldi so didn't feel guilty, but crazy we needed to resort to such plans. With days like that I do struggle sometimes to justify encouraging family and friends to buy a BEV :rolleyes:

Reactions: Northeastman

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
857 Posts
I said much of the year. It is January....
....and Thursday.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
2,031 Posts
I was in Whitby today… very busy. Not summer busy, but full car parks and hour plus queues at the good chippies.
Cloud Sky Water Atmosphere Dusk

·
Registered
885 Posts
If there's money to be made, private companies will be there.

It's just bizarre that everyone's favourite whipping boy is local government when things aren't to their liking.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts