Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear driver side handle broke (whining noise when handle presents itself but doesn't open the door. The doesn't fully retract either) and was replaced / fixed in November last year.
It broke again in May but started working again before my booked repair, so I cancelled the service centre visit.
2 weeks ago it stopped working again so I booked a ranger repair for this Friday.
Of course this morning it has started working again.
What do I do, I'm guessing they're not going to fix what doesn't appear to be broken?

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,746 Posts
Mine on that side whines a bit as well. I'd keep the booking. They'll probably have a log of all the times it has failed so they'll be able to see it's intermittent. Could be weather related?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,566 Posts
Indicative of the small cable inside is chafing, hence the intermittent failure.

It’s possible to do a DIY fix if you look for the videos on this subject.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Indicative of the small cable inside is chafing, hence the intermittent failure.

It’s possible to do a DIY fix if you look for the videos on this subject.
Thanks that sounds about right to me. Its still under warranty from the original repair (and general cpo warranty) , so they should fix it before I start attempting it!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
An update and some questions.
The handle was looked at by a ranger and no fault found.
2 weeks later it failed again and I took it to Dartford where they replaced it.
2 days later it failed again.
2 days after that it started working fine!
Yesterday the driver door failed, but in a. Slightly different way. The driver handle doesn't present itself, it stays in. The door can be opened from the inside.
WHAT IS GOING ON?! Anyone have any ideas?
Could it be a sign of mcu 1 failure?
They are taking it in for observation later in November, but I'd love to know if anyone has any ideas.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,746 Posts
When I first had mine the handles were strange. Once I had the SD card replaced (it had corrupted) it was a lot better. They pop out on approach unless I've ignored the car for more than 2 days or so. Then I push the driver's one and they all pop out. If it's still under warranty then MCU replacement to the latest is definitely investigating.

Also faulty key fob/low battery? That's worth ruling out.

They should be taking all the door cards off and checking all the connections. Is it letting water in somewhere it shouldn't?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I first had mine the handles were strange. Once I had the SD card replaced (it had corrupted) it was a lot better. They pop out on approach unless I've ignored the car for more than 2 days or so. Then I push the driver's one and they all pop out. If it's still under warranty then MCU replacement to the latest is definitely investigating.

Also faulty key fob/low battery? That's worth ruling out.

They should be taking all the door cards off and checking all the connections. Is it letting water in somewhere it shouldn't?
Thanks for this. I recently changed the fob battery (about 4 months ago) but maybe I'll try again?
Tesla have got back to me stating that they don't believe it will be connected to mcu, fair enough.
I took out and reseated fuse 233 yesterday but that made no difference.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They clearly haven't fixed it and need to sort it. Doors have to be openable from the outside as it's a major defect on the MOT. I'd keep on at them and remind them they have to keep the car in a roadworthy state.

If it's not under the main car warranty then I'd probably get Cleevely EV to take a look.
Thanks- yes it's still under used warranty- until Jan next year- so they'll have to fix it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts